Notices

Ignition issues - strange one

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2009, 09:28 AM
shamone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition issues - strange one

Had to bump start the scoob last night…… my own fault, but I’m a little confused as to why.

Normally, when I turn the key, it turns over a couple of times then starts up no problem. However, a couple of times I have let the key spring back from “start” to “on” by accident, without the engine firing up (just because I’d turned it over enough to have started normally and I was on autopilot). But once I’ve done this, the next time I try the key it won’t start at all. The starter is turning the engine over, but it won’t start up. I’ve done this twice and both times I tried it again ten minutes later and it started fine, but last night it wasn’t having it – even with a 30 minute wait.

There seemed to be plenty of juice in the battery, and it was turning fast enough and making all the usual noises, just no start. My mate tried it with jump leads all the same, just in case, but no start. In the end I bumped it and it started up no problems. Out of curiosity I switched it off pretty much straight away then tried it again and it started no problem, so it only seems to be an issue if I’ve had a “failed start” already. It usually starts first time every time in the heat, cold, snow or rain – whatever!

Any suggestions as to why this may be happening?? (other than because I’m a ‘tard who doesn’t give his engine chance enough to start properly......)
Old 31 December 2009, 11:35 AM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

it sounds like it could be fuel related,maybe it was flooded? and for some reason its pushing too much fuel in?just a guess lol
Old 31 December 2009, 03:27 PM
shamone
Scooby Regular

I do get a whiff of fuel every time i start up, without fail.

No sign of any leaks though.
Old 31 December 2009, 03:32 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

fuel filter need replacing?
Old 31 December 2009, 03:53 PM
shamone
Scooby Regular

Possibly - i've not had the car for 6 months yet so i have no idea when it was replaced last....... i had a pretty thorough read through all the service history just after i bought it and i can't remember seeing one of those in there!
Old 31 December 2009, 04:12 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shamone
Possibly - i've not had the car for 6 months yet so i have no idea when it was replaced last....... i had a pretty thorough read through all the service history just after i bought it and i can't remember seeing one of those in there!
its worth replacing even if it dosent fix it mate,as it is normal routine maintenance. u never know?have u checked the ecu for faults?