Notices

replacing aps induction kit

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2009, 12:12 AM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing aps induction kit

i have an aps induction kit fitted to my car its situated behind the wheel arch liner it seems to be collecting quite a bit of dirt possiable getting damp too so i think it needs to be replaced with a decent induction kit that sits in the engine bay, if i were to replace it would the car need mapping again and which induction kit are an ideal replacement cars running 350 bhp and its a new age

any help would be apreciated
Old 28 December 2009, 12:22 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

The APS 65/70mm CAI are about as good as it gets IMHO. Take the filter out and give it a clean.
Old 28 December 2009, 12:35 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

it shouldnt be getting wet if all the trims are on surly?
Old 28 December 2009, 12:41 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go ahead and stick a cone filter under the bonnet and see how much power you lose from the off, not to mention it will probaly start detting as a result of sucking hot underbonnet air.

As Wrighty siad just make sure all the trims are nice and tight. There should be very little moisture ever getting in there unless you're going through some pretty deep puddles.

To be honest the std airbox, decent high flow flat panel air filter and a snorkus mod is good for well over 400bhp so unless you run an FMIC or are making well over 400bhp a CAI is a waste of time. The CAI when fitted also needs the MAF to be recalibrated as it will properly throw out all the fuel trims and run AFR's too lean so you would need a remap IMHO.

Last edited by scoobiewrx555; 28 December 2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 28 December 2009, 12:44 AM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

i took it out today and its pretty dirty seems to be with all the recent weather also i have some grid drifts on the car so i mite have to take arch liners out to roll lips of arches more
Old 28 December 2009, 12:48 AM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
Go ahead and stick a cone filter under the bonnet and see how much power you lose from the off, not to mention it will probaly start detting as a result of sucking hot underbonnet air.

As Wrighty siad just make sure all the trims are nice and tight. There should be very little moisture ever getting in there unless you're going through some pretty deep puddles.
well iv bin reading quite the oppasite people saying they bin getting better gaings off the rcm kit ill try find the quote
Old 28 December 2009, 12:57 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Well at least your filter is doing the job it was meant to do and that's keep all the crap out!!

The RCM CAI is a cracking bit of kit and uses one of the longest cones i've ever seen but it ain't cheap!! That kind of CAI makes achieving big power a lot easier but at lower bhp's there is very little in it if anything and more often than not with a lot of CAI's the airbox does a better job up to a certain level. The Subaru airbox is already a very well set up std bit of kit that needs little modifying to get cracking performance from your car.

Spend the money when you need to.
Old 28 December 2009, 01:01 AM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

I cannot comment on other people's testing but I can repeat my findings which have proven similar on a number of other installations.
The car with APS CAK produced 417 bhp at G-Force at a rolling road day. It was the most powerful Subaru at the time. Chris Davies, Australian operator of the RR with a knowledge of APS products suggested I get rid of the APS CAK. I returned the following week with quite a large cylindrical K+N in the engine bay. No other mods. 434 bhp. I then went on to Swindon and Bob Rawle remapped the car. On return to G-Force 451 bhp.
34 bhp for a bigger filter in place of the APS CAK and a remap.
I am not interested in the conclusions reached by others because I have repeated these results on numerous occassions.
Fortunately guys like Andy Kinden, Iddy/Paul Armin and many others have taken my advice and have spectacular results which validate my position.
I would also point out that I have invested quite a bit of money in magnahelix guages and as a result can determine accurately how efficient or otherwise an induction system may be. I don't know of anyone else making regular use of this accurate equipment.
Old 28 December 2009, 01:05 AM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=scoobiewrx555;9120460]Well at least your filter is doing the job it was meant to do and that's keep all the crap out!!

The RCM CAI is a cracking bit of kit and uses one of the longest cones i've ever seen but it ain't cheap!! That kind of CAI makes achieving big power a lot easier but at lower bhp's there is very little in it if anything and more often than not with a lot of CAI's the airbox does a better job up to a certain level. The Subaru airbox is already a very well set up std bit of kit that needs little modifying to get cracking performance from your car.

Spend the money when you need to.[QUOTE]

yes its doing the job but iv never sin a filter get that dirty i only cleanded it end of summer so thats the reason in thinkin of changing it plus id rather spend the money on induction kit than a new engine
Old 28 December 2009, 01:10 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

If i wanted to make or were already making properly over 400bhp i would be running a decent CAI not the std airbox and these guys are making 430-450bhp, however at 350bhp the std airbox is the right thing to be running.
Old 28 December 2009, 01:14 AM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

yes take your point but have no standard air box and already have an induction kit ther so just thought of replacing it i mite just check my arch liners ans see i can do something with them but i may have to take them out anyway cause of my wheels

oh and forgot to say im running aps fmic too

Last edited by adam knight; 28 December 2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 28 December 2009, 01:18 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

APS is a great peice of kit and will only need a good clean or at worst a replacement cone filter. If you buy another full induction kit you will very likely need another remap so factor another 200-300 quid into the equation.

As said the APS kit is a very good induction kit, my advice is to just clean it and it will be as good as new.
Old 28 December 2009, 01:27 AM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

cool well thanks both wrx 555 and daz for your help mite just get myself a new cone and try sort the liner out to be bit more dirt tight good to have a few opinions
Old 28 December 2009, 01:34 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have a induction kit in the engine bay clamped onto the end of a APS turbo inlet pipe and running a healthy 400 bhp. I think the main issue with underbonnet indction kits is that in slow moving or stationary traffic the under bonnet temp can rise, so if booted straight off then hot air is drawn in. Once the car is mobile the airflow through the radiator and from between the bonnet and slam panel will bring the engine bay temperatures down quickly. So just like with a TMIC you need to let the car get some airflow through to reduce the heat sink.
Old 28 December 2009, 01:47 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
I have a induction kit in the engine bay clamped onto the end of a APS turbo inlet pipe and running a healthy 400 bhp. I think the main issue with underbonnet indction kits is that in slow moving or stationary traffic the under bonnet temp can rise, so if booted straight off then hot air is drawn in. Once the car is mobile the airflow through the radiator and from between the bonnet and slam panel will bring the engine bay temperatures down quickly. So just like with a TMIC you need to let the car get some airflow through to reduce the heat sink.
A TIMC has a dedicated scoop directing air to it on the move and in stationary traffic hot underbonnet air immediately around the TMIC escapes out of the scoop and into the open.

However, unless you either louvre the bonnet directly above your cone or fit some ducting that forces some airflow from the front of the car directly to your cone airflow just behind the headlights or through the front of the bonnet is pretty poor, slam panel or no slam panel.

A CAI is better!!
Old 28 December 2009, 10:43 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

i have used both the caik and the big cone under bonnet.as the caik was a very good piece of kit, i still choose to run the large cone under the bonnet with a cold air feed pipe going to it.basically for everyday driving in this country the caik does get a lot of crap thrown up on it and its a pain in the *** to keep taking off and cleaning all the time.where as the cone under bonnet is an easy take of and clean.not to mention when i went down to scoobyclinic acouple a years back with the caik on,drove through the ford and locked my engine with water the caik had sucked up.