Notices

whats the prodrive y pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2009, 11:22 AM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the prodrive y pipe??

hiya just reading some threads etc...wondered what the prodrive y pipe is and what it does.ive got 53 plate wrx and just thinking what options there are etc.dont want major power gains etc just some info on decat tuning etc..ive put at 07 sti back box on with the single pipe.dont realy wanna go down the massive back box as im up at 5 every morning and dont think my neighbours be too chuffed lol...any ideas
Old 21 December 2009, 12:12 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Prodrive Y pipe was part of the Prodrive Performance Package (PPP). It is an upgrade pipe from the turbo to the intercooler, decreasing spool up time and increasing flow at the expense of noise.

Name:  Newage_Y.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  35.1 KB

The rest of the PPP consisted of:
ECU
Decat centre section (usually an STI resonated pipe on the earlier cars)
Prodrive st st back box (deep burble, not loud or droning, ok to start at 5am, which is also when I go to work)
Panel filter (not obligatory and most stick to the disposable paper, replaced every 5000 miles)
Upgraded brake pads
There is talk of a different size restictor pill on the later cars, but no one seems to be able to confirm this.

Lots of threads on here about it but don't spend to much on the ECU as your car can be remapped. The early Prodrive ECU's fetch a premium as the original ECU cannot be remapped. Talk to people like Alan Jeffreys, Jolly Green Monster, API David for good info.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 21 December 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 21 December 2009, 12:18 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Prodrive Y pipe is a silicone hose that connects the underneath of the intercooler to the turbo, and replaces the original plastic / rubber and metal hose that the WRX came with.
I've got one on mine, supposed to improve airflow slightly, although I doubt you'll see immense power or performance gains; I haven't noticed any real additional noise though!
If you want to avoid having to find a decat "friendly" MOT centre every year, you could go sports cat route - decat centre section and up pipe will net you more power without massive volume gains if you're sensible in your choices.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 21 December 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 21 December 2009, 01:43 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info.might have a look for one of them pipes and retro fit.is it just a fit and forget.dont need anything else to go with it etc?
Old 21 December 2009, 02:35 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

The pipe itself is fit and forget, and dead easy at that, about 20 minutes including putting tools away.

What you will remove is this, think you can see the restriction in it

Name:  standardypipe.jpg
Size:  8.9 KB

and replace with this (Samco is the same without the nifty Prodrive badge that peeks out from under the intercooler).

Name:  DSCF3538.jpg
Size:  79.8 KB

You will notice a difference in spool up time and a slight whistle from the turbo that wasn't there before. No increase in power tho, just more pleasing throttle response.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 21 December 2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 23 December 2009, 08:07 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

I really haven't noticed much difference in spool up time, but then my car had been remapped before I fitted the pipe.
I'd argue that most owners don't stick to the paper filter; instead, most modders switch to a cotton based panel filter like K&N or Green (got one on mine) and carry on using the original airbox. Advantage is better air flow, better filtration AND you can clean em too.
You won't need any sort of wing mounted kit until you start knocking on around the 320+bhp mark.
Old 28 December 2009, 08:36 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

There is a school of thought that suspects that the oil used in cleaning filters may contribute to the early demise of some MAFs.

Not sure on this so I'm sticking to the cheep and cheerful, especially as I tried a K+N on my first Scoob and didn't notice any difference.

Old 29 December 2009, 10:56 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
There is a school of thought that suspects that the oil used in cleaning filters may contribute to the early demise of some MAFs.

Not sure on this so I'm sticking to the cheep and cheerful, especially as I tried a K+N on my first Scoob and didn't notice any difference.

I have a green panel filter mate.
I also have the cleaning kit which comes with cleaner and oil (2 separate bottles). You don't have to oil it if you don't want to.
The gripes you hear on here generally are from people who've over-oiled their filters after cleaning. Minimal amount is fine according to most mappers I believe.