Notices

Pistons options for a stroker build.

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2009, 11:09 AM
masterx81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pistons options for a stroker build.

Hi!
I'm doing a stroker conversion to my ej20 v4 engine, and i'm unsure about what pistons to use. AFAIK only mahle and wiseco made off-the-shelf stroker pistons.
Mahle are nice (-16cc and 30.3 comp height), but leave the piston at the tdc 0.7mm under the deck (using std 130.5 rods), the deck could be grinded to lower this value, but the ej20 has a quite short rod, and this would be wasted space (and i've also some trouble getting the right cr, at 8.5:1, i've done some work on combustion chambers and seats), would be nice to found some 131.25 rods (late NA EJ25 engines), but i not know anyone that made forged rods with that rod length. With 131.25 rod the piston will sit 0.05mm under the deck, that it's perfect. But i need also to know the height of the top ring, so that it not go in the alu part on top of the cylinder.
Else i can use some 131,6 rods, the the piston will pop out by 0.4mm, too much...
Wiseco (-17.8cc, 30.0 comp height) instead has the pistons that are flat on the deck with suggested 131.5 rods, but off the shelf can be found only 131.6 rods (ej25 engines), that leave the pistons 0.1mm out of the block. Not a trouble. But the engine will go on a road car, and i don't like too much the drawbacks of the 2816 alloy (cold noise and oil consumption), plus the wiseco catalog speak about a modify to the oil rings, that need to be pinned in place (probably due to the inspection holes that can destroy the ring), or that need to be used on a sleeved block...
I've sent mails to both mahle and wiseco, without any answer...
So, what are your suggestions?
Really thanks!
Old 20 December 2009, 11:39 AM
Ferry
Scooby Regular

You are only looking for pistons? This should be a good option: Lateral Performance Ltd| Home | Subaru Impreza Engine, & Re-Build Components | Engine Components, & Blocks | Pistons | Lateral/Wiseco Custom 2.1lt 92.5mm Stroker Forged Piston Kit, With Rings, & Up Rated Pins

If you are lookig for a stroker kit, check out:
Lateral Performance: Lateral Performance Ltd| Home | Subaru Impreza Engine, & Re-Build Components | 2.1lt Stroker Kits............Special Christmas Pricing.................. | 2.1lt Subaru Impreza Stroker Kit (Rated To 550bhp) ..........Special Christmas Pricing.........

Scoobyclinic: https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...obyclinic.html

Enginetuner: https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...r-engines.html

Or Cosworth: Roger Clark Motorsport - RCM Product Detail
Old 20 December 2009, 12:17 PM
masterx81
Scooby Regular

I've already the 79mm crank, rear thrust to suit my rear thrust v4 block (ebay, new for only 70euro, fully checked for straightness and balancing... i love ebay ), now i need to choose pistons and rods for the best match. Latheral are custom pistons, and made from 2816 alloy... For that price i can get pistons with the design that i prefer from je/wiseco, but i love the 4032 alloy, while is more brittle than the 2816, i'd prefer it for a road car build... And the cost of off-the-shelf products is more accessible than custom made...
Thanks for the help!