Prodrive ECU or a load of poo!

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2009, 08:42 PM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive ECU or a load of poo!

Hi

-I recently purchased a Prodrive ECU for my standard WRX 2001 from Ebay, I had it fitted to my car and the keys reprogrammed. I found that my mid range power was down but the top end was up.

-Then I fitted my mid pipe decat and mid range power came back to an acceptable level (maybe the same as standard, so not acceptable!)

-On further inspection/research/comparision on the net it looks like the PPP ECU I purchased is missing the sister board. So it looks almost identical to the one I replaced it with!

The "PPP ECU" purchased..........

subaru impreza wrx prodrive ecu new age bugeye on eBay (end time 13-Dec-09 22:52:18 GMT)

I may be totally confused but does anyone on here have the knowledge to clear this up for me?

Thanks
Old 19 December 2009, 10:14 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dhillon
Hi

-I recently purchased a Prodrive ECU for my standard WRX 2001 from Ebay, I had it fitted to my car and the keys reprogrammed. I found that my mid range power was down but the top end was up.

-Then I fitted my mid pipe decat and mid range power came back to an acceptable level (maybe the same as standard, so not acceptable!)

-On further inspection/research/comparision on the net it looks like the PPP ECU I purchased is missing the sister board. So it looks almost identical to the one I replaced it with!

The "PPP ECU" purchased..........

subaru impreza wrx prodrive ecu new age bugeye on eBay (end time 13-Dec-09 22:52:18 GMT)

I may be totally confused but does anyone on here have the knowledge to clear this up for me?

Thanks

i think the very early bugeyes that were ppp`d had daughter boards fitted, and the later ones were mapped/flashed direct to the ecu, just because yours does not have the additional board does not mean it isn't a prodrive ecu, it could be genuine? the best thing to do is see if a open source mapper is local to compare to a standard ROM, and go from there, if this makes any sense.
Old 19 December 2009, 10:42 PM
coops78
Scooby Regular

pictures on ebay look the same as my prodrive ecu
[IMG][/IMG]

was also marked up on the case
[IMG][/IMG]

when i got mine dyno'd it only made 215bhp should have been 265. I then got it open soured mapped and it turned out that it had the wrong size restrictor pill.

This could be why you mid range is down as it's holding the boost off, i can't remember what size it should be with the ppp ecu.
Old 20 December 2009, 08:06 AM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

Hi Mate

Thanks for the pictures - I think I will need to do some further digging from a professional mapper to find out, but then again it definately feels different so I am sure it has another map on there, just want to make sure it is the prodrive one.

Are you sure the 01 WRX PPP consisted of a restrictor pill? its the first I heard of it? also did that mod alone take it from 215 --> 265 after changing the ECU?

The engine check light is also on now!

I will have to get it checked out!

Thanks
Old 20 December 2009, 08:40 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

The Prodrive ECU was part of a package and will only really work correctly if all the components included are fitted.

ECU (obviously)
Intercooler Y pipe (made a difference on my car when fitted by itself, much quicker spool up)
Decat centre section
Back box

There is talk of a pill included on the later models, Tony Burns may be able to supply more info.

Another possibility (and I really hope this hasn't happened) the ECU in question may have been remapped by a previous owner, so no longer Prodrive.

Have to query the route you are taking. The Prodrive ECU is a popular and cost effective mod on the earlier, non mappable cars like mine, where the owner is after a small increase in power and a hike in torque to give a near standard car an edge. It is generally considered more cost effective to remap the existing ecu on the later cars, usually yielding bigger gains as the Prodrive map was still quite conservative.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 20 December 2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 20 December 2009, 08:49 AM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice mate, the mods I have so far is......

PPP ECU?
Prodrive back box
decat midpipe (which some may call centre pipe, this means that I still have the cat in the uppipe and downpipe)
&
The prodrive y-pipe is coming next week

above is what I beleived to be be all that is required for the PPP, unless someone can shed more light on the restrictor pill.

The only reason I went down this route was because minus the back box which I already had it cost less than £300 to do!
Old 20 December 2009, 09:03 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Before I start here, please believe me when I say I'm not "having a go"..
Basically, professional tuners like us provide a service to deal with stuff like this, and you're more often much better off finding one, and just give us the money to sort it out. We see the results of poorly founded "modifications" all the time, including a great many unnecessary engine blow ups.
I dare say you'd find it relatively easy to find a reliable source to get you exactly where you want to go.
For example, for only £500 inc vat, you could have had it properly custom mapped and you'd be completely happy with it. I'm aware there are those running around who are "cheaper", but hey, that's where the choice of who you want to trust comes in.
Old 20 December 2009, 09:32 AM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

Hi Alan

Thanks for your advice - I would visit JGM in Surrey but he is on hols until the new year - so I was just seeing if there was anyone on here to clarify things for me in his absence.

What you say is definately a good point taken, but you live and learn! lol

-If added up the total cost, the remap would be 600 + 300 for the other mods + 100 including the fuel pump + 100 for the decat uppipe (known to brake and go through the turbo if there is too much power/heat) which is £1100, and I would still be on edge to if I am going to pass the MOT or not.

-What I want to do would only cost £300 all in. I know it would not have been as fast as a custom map, but not bad for the money tho.

In all honesty I am a novice and just trying to have a bit of fun on the cheap
Old 20 December 2009, 09:37 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Alan,

Don't think the Prodrive Performance Package comes under the heading of
poorly founded "modifications"
unless you want to take it up with Prodrive.

It is a cost effective solution for gifted amateurs and not a black art. Fitted mine (and very happy with it) for £350 all in.

Had already asked the question why he had not remapped, and Dhillon gave an acceptable answer.

The tone of your reply sucks

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 20 December 2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 20 December 2009, 09:37 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That could be the problem, you pay for what you get.

Be careful tuning on the cheap.
Old 20 December 2009, 09:42 AM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

I know - Thought it would have been a safe option though, you cant knock the PPP setup if you get it for £300.

Problems happen in life and this may have incedently been one of them.

Thanks for all your advise
Old 20 December 2009, 09:42 AM
coops78
Scooby Regular

As Alan says take it to a professional tuner which is what i did with mine and it's now running 286/308 according to the road dyno, i will be getting it on the rollers in the new year to confirm this.
Old 20 December 2009, 09:45 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

As said previously the PPP ecu are mapped to run with specific mods, if you deviate from those mods then you will need a custom remap.
Old 20 December 2009, 09:46 AM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

Yep - I will visit JGM when he gets back from hols.

Thanks
Old 20 December 2009, 09:57 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
Alan,

Don't think the Prodrive Performance Package comes under the heading of unless you want to take it up with Prodrive.

It is a cost effective solution for gifted amateurs and not a black art. Fitted mine (and very happy with it) for £350 all in.

Had already asked the question why he had not remapped, and Dhillon gave an acceptable answer.

The tone of your reply sucks

You're missing the point. A custom map is a better solution than a PPP any day of the week, and there's much more to it than just popping an ECU in.
The PPP was designed to be fitted and tested by Subaru dealers, not flogged on Ebay.
When we test or tune a car, we go through the whole package, as any other professional would, and the result is a proper result. I don't denigrate the man for his intentions, but bear in mind as we are doing this 24/7 we tend to see every mistake made under the sun.
Old 20 December 2009, 10:03 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Which is why I suggested, politely, that a remap may have been a better option in his situation, but not in mine.....

Old 20 December 2009, 10:05 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

remapping is always the best option of modifying, that way you know the ecu is setup to work with the modifications fitted.

not a fit and hope situation.

The PPP package is a generic map, designed to pas MOT and keep warranties intact.

Last edited by jd5217; 20 December 2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 20 December 2009, 10:14 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Good, we have now established that remapping is the best solution, not always the most cost effective, but the best LOL

Old 20 December 2009, 10:26 AM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

Hi Guys

As mentioned previously I do have the supporting mods for the PPP to my knowledge and if not then your advice would be appreciated. So i have....

Prodrive backbox, centre decat, ecu and the y-pipe coming on Monday.

Someone did mention the restrictor pill but it was the first I have heard of this so I will do some further digging to find out.

So everyones opinion counts, but what I would like to say is that the PPP route was my choice and I am on here to see if there is any advice / support.

* There are many paths people choose to climb a mountain, some want to go to the top because they are fit some people may want to go half way because thats all they can do, however each individuals decision should be respected no matter which path you take in life as there are always some unforeseen circumstances and no one can be 100% sure that you wont step in poo and fall to the bottom of the mountain no matter what route you take!

PS - Ebay is a successful reputable online Auction business which has been going for years and if items are mis-sold then we are protected by the 30 day paypal agreement.

That said everyone is entitled to their opinion, the above is just mine - keep the peace
Old 20 December 2009, 10:47 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

LOL, you think this is heated wait till you come across the opinions of Sunnysideup It's just the way things get sorted here. Most is tounge in cheek (on my part anyway)

Welcome to the forum by the way

Old 20 December 2009, 10:55 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

PS - Ebay is a successful reputable online Auction business which has been going for years and if items are mis-sold then we are protected by the 30 day paypal agreement.
Have you acutally used that? I tried it when I bought a fake pair of Sennheiser earphones, Paypal wanted me to commission a professional report on the earphones in order to progress the complaint, fecking useless.
Old 20 December 2009, 11:05 AM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

LOL - phew I thought I started a battle here!!

I agree it is a good way to get everyones opinion - it keeps me thinking all the time!

Hi to yourself and others by the way

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
LOL, you think this is heated wait till you come across the opinions of Sunnysideup It's just the way things get sorted here. Most is tounge in cheek (on my part anyway)

Welcome to the forum by the way

Old 20 December 2009, 11:09 AM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

Hi

have not had to use it yet as I am still a newbie on there.

2 of my friends have used it and they got their money back!

Originally Posted by bluenose172
Have you acutally used that? I tried it when I bought a fake pair of Sennheiser earphones, Paypal wanted me to commission a professional report on the earphones in order to progress the complaint, fecking useless.
Anyway regarding all the posts - thanks for your help I look forward to fitting my Y-pipe 2mrw and taking things from there....
Old 20 December 2009, 11:20 AM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the forum. I too have been looking at doing this. Over the last few months I have picked up the Y-Pipe, Back Box and decat centre pipe which I still have to have fitted. From looking at many of the opinions on this forum, the best course of action regardless of whether or not it should work, is to get a professional mapper to remap your car after modification. I was toying with the idea of just looking for a PPP ECU but decided against it after reading some of the horror stories that can happen. And I am cheap
Old 20 December 2009, 11:36 AM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the welcome - for me it is just a nice project, I use it as my second car and I like DIY to an extent.

I will let you know how it goes once all (i hope) is sorted in the new year!

But yeah I agree if you want to spend the money go for a custom remap as it will always better if done properly.

Just fun and games for me.

Thanks
Old 20 December 2009, 11:41 AM
Dhillon
Scooby Newbie

Hi

I think you are right about the restrictor pill/jet........

PPP Installation

Although this does also state a sports centre cat, which I previously thought was a decat! but then again it does not state what impreza this is for!

Originally Posted by coops78
pictures on ebay look the same as my prodrive ecu
[IMG][/IMG]

was also marked up on the case
[IMG][/IMG]

when i got mine dyno'd it only made 215bhp should have been 265. I then got it open soured mapped and it turned out that it had the wrong size restrictor pill.

This could be why you mid range is down as it's holding the boost off, i can't remember what size it should be with the ppp ecu.
Old 20 December 2009, 01:13 PM
coops78
Scooby Regular

Hi

I think you are right about the restrictor pill/jet........

PPP Installation

Although this does also state a sports centre cat, which I previously thought was a decat! but then again it does not state what impreza this is for!
i never knew they came with a sports centre cat i thought it was the back box that was changed, i have still got my centre section somewhere i'll have a look to see if it is a prodrive one.
Old 20 December 2009, 05:31 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

It was a backbox (made by Scorpion IIRC) and a centre de-cat section but they refit the heatshields off your standard cat pipe so it looks like a standard cat pipe until you get up close and look lol!
I thought the bugeye ppp took the car to 245bhp, it was the blobeye ppp that got 265bhp wasnt it?
I find my bugeye ppp to be an enjoyable drive but it just doesnt have the kick my classic had even though it feels more sure footed on the road so I have picked up a standard ecu off here and im just waiting on an Andy F TD04 hybrid now, then its time to get it and the rest of my accumalated parts bolted on and get a proper map
Old 20 December 2009, 06:47 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Ayde you are correct the bugeye ppp only made 240-245 bhp,with a considerable increase in torque and a very slightly higher top speed(3 - 5 mph).

I did consider going down this route my self as i was determined i would keep my car standard,and after fitting a P1 intercooler with y pipe + centre section & prodrive backbox,thought the ecu would finish it off nicely,but all the ppp ecu's i have seen on ebay for my car are £300.00, which is cheap for the power that you gain. I nearly bought one a month ago,until i saw that bob rawle is doing remaps for £400.00 + vat.
You can pay more than that for an exhaust system or alpine hifi system - so it was a no brainer for me - cars going in in 6 weeks time,and i have piece of mind with what is being done to my car imho..
Old 20 December 2009, 11:21 PM
Casters450
Scooby Regular

Wasn't it only the STi that had the centre sport cat. I had a blob WRX PPP and I'm pretty sure it only had a back box, intercooler Y pipe and ECU . One thing that no one has mentioned yet is that the car should also have a certificate from Prodrive. I sold my ECU on eBay along with this as proof.