Notices

car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2009, 05:40 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start

ok people my last post yesterday was about my car not wanting to start and when it finally does start its popping away and running rought and wanting to stall. however went over today and it does not want to start at all it turns over if i put jump leads from another car but just wont fire up.it has fuel going in as you can smell it and checked the plugs and they were soaked.the spark it very very very little not a strong spark at all. now over last month or so the battery on the car has been charged then went dead charged then went dead and now its just not holding charge could this cause the car to not want to start and lack of spark. im pretty sure the battery is shagged but thought i would ask you guys on here before i went out and bought another.
if i try to jump it of another car it does turn over but even then after a few turns you can hear it dying,i no some cars wont start if battery is no good but not sure about this on subarus
Old 15 December 2009, 05:43 PM
dagger
Scooby Regular

Maybe the battery, i'd change it anyway as it sounds shagged

I would also get the alternator tested
Old 15 December 2009, 09:22 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

can anybody else shed some light on this one for me...or any ideas why it will not start
Old 16 December 2009, 04:41 PM
my_first_scooby
Scooby Regular

Hello Bud

If its any help I have had similar problems after letting my mate change my clutch to do this he dropped the gearbox out despite me telling him to lift the engine.

Mine is now running and I found the following faults you might want to check,

Lamba sensor connected, not sure if it had an effect on the car but im sure it contributed

Main earth lead this connects to the bolt on the starter motor this fixed the lazy starting which drained my battery.

I also had a duff alternator
My misfire was caused by a damaged ignition lead,

It's been an expensive month for me

I would start by checking the main earth to the starter motor bolt, jump start the car then to see if it will go, then get a multimeter and find out if your alternator is giving out enough voltage, I may be corrected but you should expect 14.4v if it's not then maybe the battery is not getting enough charge.
If you are getting 14.4v the it is likely to be the battery

You starting problem does sound like the earth though
Old 16 December 2009, 08:05 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

cheers for the reply mate this one has been doing my head in now as want it back up and running.i went over today took all the plugs out gave them a good clean as wanted to check if this was the problem. also i noticed a small pipe had split else were so changed it sprayed.wd40 on few wires ect and put jump leads on her and she fired up but still got a terrible miss.
when i rev the car it pops and bangs and can see the odd flame shoot out of the exhaust.also it wants to stall when i leave my foot of the throttle eventually it will stall so i took it for a quick spin and noticed that there was a fair bit of lack of power so now im stuck with lack of power popping and banging and a miss i will re do the earth lead to the starter motor tommorrow it goes between the starter and gearbox at the top next to the inlet is this correct i will re check all the sensors tomorrow just starting to really bug me now
Old 17 December 2009, 02:20 AM
eggy
Scooby Regular

try reseting the ECU, it wont do any harm,,,cant remember how to now but its pretty simple and quick,,,

do a search at the top of scoobynet page ,you should get some info there