Notices

Prosport Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2009, 08:49 PM
Paysagiste
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prosport Gauge Problem

Had my Prosport gauges fitted by an expert,but have 2 problems.Gauges will only work on white display,if wiring changed to amber 2 gauges stop working.Also oil pressure and oil temp gauge are not showing any readings.Possibly a problem with the sensors or sandwich plate.Anyway i can determine which is at fault.Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 07 December 2009, 08:58 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Is that you frenchie, or has a third person had the same problem as us today?
Old 07 December 2009, 09:13 PM
Paysagiste
Scooby Regular

It's me.
Old 07 December 2009, 09:50 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When you say "expert" mate, is it a mate who's done em, or a proper mechanic who has installed several sets?
My oil temp gauge only seems to read when the car's idling - in motion it shows zero
I've been told it might be applying too much PTFE and the sender not having a proper earth which causes this.
My boost gauge works absolutely fine.

I tried changing to green gauges but annoyingly the boost gauge only does white and amber whilst the other two do all 3 colours, so I stuck with white.

Let us know how you get on. I need to retry fitting my oil temperature one - haven't done pressure yet. Just need a dry weekend or a garage!
Old 07 December 2009, 10:09 PM
Paysagiste
Scooby Regular

Hi,this was a guy who fits stuff for a living,has his own company.The boost gauge works fine,but only with white display.Do sandwich plates go wrong,seems strange that both sensors failed on first fitting.Will keep you posted.
Old 08 December 2009, 12:32 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Paysagiste
Hi,this was a guy who fits stuff for a living,has his own company.The boost gauge works fine,but only with white display.Do sandwich plates go wrong,seems strange that both sensors failed on first fitting.Will keep you posted.
I'm surprised tbh mate as I've heard Sandwich plates can be a bit unreliable especially for temperature readings.
Apparently cylinder number 3 is the place to put the temperature sender, plus fitting a sandwich plate necessitates draining the oil, whereas using the conventional senders doesn't...
On top of that, some users on another forum I frequent did mention that sandwich plates end up putting the filter closer to the deck and on lowered cars that's a riskier prospect.
Not sure whether I believe the latter but thought I'd pass it on regardless.

Does your boost gauge's startup sequence have two colours or just one?
My oil temp and pressure gauges have amber, green and white. The boost is just amber and white and I don't think it supports being wired in in the same way as the other two for that reason.
Old 08 December 2009, 12:05 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

For what it's worth, having fitted lots of these gauges, I had only one fault where a gauge would not power up from the start. Other gauges sold and reported issues have all been down to wiring, especially when the connections have not being seated tight on the back of the gauge. Not saying they cant fail, just more often than not something has been missed in my experience. There is also no problem using the sandwich plates, it just means you will see a variation in temp as apposed the direct fitment to the block, which will see a more accurate reading.
Old 08 December 2009, 06:35 PM
brockalightus
Scooby Regular

Had my Prosport gauges fitted by an expert,but have 2 problems.Gauges will only work on white display,if wiring changed to amber 2 gauges stop working.Also oil pressure and oil temp gauge are not showing any readings.Possibly a problem with the sensors or sandwich plate.Anyway i can determine which is at fault.Any help greatly appreciated.
what way are these wired in??.....have fitted quite a few sets of these gauges and i dont like the sandwich plate(personal choice)so dont use it. Wired correctly you will have 2 base colours..green/white...red/white etc etc one colour for daytime and 1 for when using your lights if you prefer....What i have found is the early versions worked of the ignition while the newer gauges must have the engine started before they go into start up mode......never seen a failed gauge yet
Old 08 December 2009, 07:28 PM
Paysagiste
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,as far as I know they are wired in series,plus each one direct to the sensor.Need to start engine,but they all carry out the full opening ceremony perfectly.Any ideas?
Old 08 December 2009, 09:17 PM
brockalightus
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,as far as I know they are wired in series,plus each one direct to the sensor.Need to start engine,but they all carry out the full opening ceremony perfectly.Any ideas?
The last set i fitted they also would not light up when looped together. had to wire each 1 in seperatly and they worked 100 per cent. try that m8
Old 14 December 2009, 06:56 PM
Paysagiste
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone for help, looks like a wiring problem.Big thanks to Neil at Slowboy Racing.Even though I didn't buy gauges from him he rang me to help solve the problem.
Old 14 December 2009, 09:50 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Thanks to everyone for help, looks like a wiring problem.Big thanks to Neil at Slowboy Racing.Even though I didn't buy gauges from him he rang me to help solve the problem.
So what was the fix mate?