Notices

Prosport Boost gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2009, 04:16 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prosport Boost gauge install

Got my gauge and unfortuneatly the instructions are pretty useless, after getting bogged down in endless google searches i have wrapped my **** in and decided to beg on here if anyone has a fitting guide for a blobeye wrx? all the ones i can find are either US and dont match what i have, for a classic or only cover the tubing fit, i am happy that the best place to t off is from the bov but i am unsure about the electrical connections, wtf goes where?

any help would be greatly welcomed

cheers
Old 04 December 2009, 04:31 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Red = constant live
Black = earth
White = Ign live
Amber = Ilumination

You can run this from your radio loom, take a look here for your specific year.

Car Radio Wiring Diagram and Car Stereo Wire Diagram – 2006 Subaru Legacy
Old 04 December 2009, 05:09 PM
Boydey77
Scooby Regular

I wired my boost gauge into the clock harness. On the back of the clock where the harness plugs in the wires are labeled as below

BAT = Battery
GND = Ground
LIG = Lights on/off
ACC = Ignition

hope this helps
Old 11 December 2009, 04:16 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

well got it all fitted, wasnt too hard in the end, quite easy when i got going, bloody cold out though. I am quite disappointed with the gauge, as after fitting had to spend another 40 mins fault finding and googling, as it powers up fine but just constantly flashes. No sensor it seems, found the source of all the woes, the bloody plug to the gauge from the sensor, to say its **** is an understatement really. It does not positively lock into place and is very loose giving either flashing constant or the needle jumps up and down, physically hold it in with my hand and its fine, so i guess i will have to glue it into position. Also how noisy is it, jeeeeees. Gutted i let my Apexi EL2 go with my last car now.
Old 11 December 2009, 06:14 PM
JonnyUK1980
Scooby Regular

There is a way of stopping the beeping cant remeber what it is, i think you have to hold the button in then turn the ignition on then 10 seconds later release the button (there's a post about it somewhere on here) I have th same gauge and all the parts were fine did you buy second hand?
Old 11 December 2009, 07:53 PM
brockalightus
Scooby Regular

hold in button while the gauges are going through start up. release button when the gauge goes of for a second before lighting up again....simples
Old 11 December 2009, 07:59 PM
brockalightus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boydey77
I wired my boost gauge into the clock harness. On the back of the clock where the harness plugs in the wires are labeled as below

BAT = Battery
GND = Ground
LIG = Lights on/off
ACC = Ignition

hope this helps
believe it or not, the instructions with the gauges used to have the above quoted on them.......perfect wiring instructions
Old 11 December 2009, 11:04 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

the wiring up is fine all con checked and serviceable its the bloody plug end that goes into the gauge it simply doesnt positively engage with the socket. Its brand new and when i said noisy i meant in operation of the needle moving not the beep. I had to turn that thing off quick as its annoying as hell lol.
Old 12 December 2009, 10:15 AM
JonnyUK1980
Scooby Regular

It sounds odd, my boost gauge clipped in fine, it should clip in so its a bugger to get out. You almost have to get a flat screwdriver in there to push the clip in to release it.

I have the oil temp, oil pressure and one more to go in. All the wiring, sensors, sandwich plate are all in and it's ready to go i'm just not happy with the cheapo triple gauge pod i bought so am going to get a defi one. Hope i don't have similar problems to you baz when it comes to connecting them up.
Old 12 December 2009, 07:00 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

it will clip in fine and yes it is hard to get all the way back out as the lower clip is below the casing, when i clip mine in you can feel the small clip engaging but the tolerance is awful you can pull the plug in and out quite freely about 2 mm, of course when this happens during re-installing to the position i want the gauge does all sorts of wonderful things. In the end i just applied a light coat of no more nails around the outside of the plug and left it to set in place. No snags now other than its a bit bright at night as was hoping it would match the stock dash, might look to see if i can place a suitable resistor in line.
Old 12 December 2009, 09:55 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just fitted my oil temp,oil pressure and boost prosport gauges. I understand what your sayin about the plug fittings, i had to use a wee screwdriver to push it right in, but i must say i think they are great. They are a bit bright but you get used to them. Ive read on an american site about a guy tryin to use a resister to dull them but it didnt work out so you may have to put up with them.
All in all i think they are quility gauges for the money
Old 13 December 2009, 08:21 PM
Richie856
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnlogie
I just fitted my oil temp,oil pressure and boost prosport gauges. I understand what your sayin about the plug fittings, i had to use a wee screwdriver to push it right in, but i must say i think they are great. They are a bit bright but you get used to them. Ive read on an american site about a guy tryin to use a resister to dull them but it didnt work out so you may have to put up with them.
All in all i think they are quility gauges for the money
Hi,

Did you're click in no problems and are a tight fit?
Have I just been unlucky getting ones that have too much play to keep
a solid connection?
Old 03 January 2010, 09:22 AM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baz995
well got it all fitted, wasnt too hard in the end, quite easy when i got going, bloody cold out though. I am quite disappointed with the gauge, as after fitting had to spend another 40 mins fault finding and googling, as it powers up fine but just constantly flashes. No sensor it seems, found the source of all the woes, the bloody plug to the gauge from the sensor, to say its **** is an understatement really. It does not positively lock into place and is very loose giving either flashing constant or the needle jumps up and down, physically hold it in with my hand and its fine, so i guess i will have to glue it into position. Also how noisy is it, jeeeeees. Gutted i let my Apexi EL2 go with my last car now.
I am having the exact same problem, dam it
Old 03 January 2010, 11:24 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

im waiting for mine as iv ordered a boost gauge over xmas so i guess its down to luck if you get a descent one.did you guys buy them from a uk seller on ebay ? thats where i bought mine from so not prosport themselves
Old 03 January 2010, 08:46 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingbuttmunch
I am having the exact same problem, dam it
i just used a small drop of no more nails to glue the lead in position and it now works as advertised.
Old 04 January 2010, 09:37 PM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

I conntacted Scoobyworld and told them the problem. They said to send the part back and they would test it. They claim that I am the first to ever ring with a problem with this gauge. They also seem to think that I did it during instalation which is impressive as all I have to do is put a connection into the back of the gauge.

So annoying
Old 05 January 2010, 07:41 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl heath
im waiting for mine as iv ordered a boost gauge over xmas so i guess its down to luck if you get a descent one.did you guys buy them from a uk seller on ebay ? thats where i bought mine from so not prosport themselves
it was on a group buy mate on this forum :-)

well after all the trouble i had i decided i couldnt be bothered getting a pod, i looked at all the options and was swaying towards the full length OEM style with the single pod but decided £44 plus P+P was a lot for a bit of plastic so just modified the existing one.

Used the metal plate that came with the gauge and bent it into the shape of the interior face of the pillar coving

Name:  DSCF1103.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  27.9 KB

then used my trusty hot glue gun to secure it in place

Name:  DSCF1104.jpg
Size:  42.8 KB

then fed all the cabling down through the side of the dashboard, with the leads for illumination etc across to the clock housing and mounted it all up

Name:  DSCF1107.jpg
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  DSCF1106.jpg
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  DSCF1105.jpg
Size:  42.0 KB

i am happy with it and dont think it looks to bad?
Old 05 January 2010, 08:10 PM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

Looks good and I see yours works.
How can I write a letter that is pollite but explains that I need a replacement as there is no way I can damage the pod during installation as all I have to do is connect to wires to the back of the pod?
Old 05 January 2010, 08:23 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

i knwo how you feel as the plug/socket interface on mine simply didnt make an effective connection

try

Consumer Direct - Problems when buying from the UK

Consumer Direct - The Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended

Consumer Direct - Template letters
Old 05 January 2010, 08:24 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

i think for internet purchases your covered by the distance selling act 200 as well
Old 06 January 2010, 10:23 AM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baz995
i knwo how you feel as the plug/socket interface on mine simply didnt make an effective connection

try

Consumer Direct - Problems when buying from the UK

Consumer Direct - The Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended

Consumer Direct - Template letters
Thats great. Thank you, I am sending the gauge back today and will keep people posted
Old 07 January 2010, 06:43 PM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

Someone from scoobyworld called today and are sending a replacement. Hope this one is ok
Old 16 September 2011, 11:27 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Baz995- you still running this set up mate ?? sent you a pm but your inbox is full !!

trying to install my own set off prosport gauges into my blobeye wrx.
Old 16 September 2011, 02:02 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

yes mate i still have it fitted, the light is still **** up despite numerous emails to xyberautos! i have no messages in my inbox now but still says full? weird what can i help you with?