GB270 - a bit flat?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2011, 08:47 PM
stevie 54 wrx swagon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GB270 - a bit flat?

Hi,
Have just bought a GB270 wagon with only 14K on the clock and must admit to feeling a bit underwhelmed with it. I'd alway liked the looks of the gb270 and when this one came up - it's like a new car - I traded in my 54 plate wrx ppp wagon which I'd had for the last 3 years. The more I drive the new car though the more I wish I'd kept a hold of my old one, and not just because I'm going to have to change my login details!

The GB270 has a completely different throttle reponse, it takes off quickly - even when I don't want it too, there is no noticeable kick in the back when the turbo spools up, the exhaust note is muted and it also seems to have flat spots further up the rev range. I liked the way the previous car could burbble about at low speeds quite comfortably at low rpm but took off at 2,500rpm with smooth power delivery, this one is quite different.

I may be being over critical, the expereinced technician who upgraded the discs and pads for me thought it ran fine ( looks and handling are superb ) but mentioned that the electronic throttle can be less responsive than cable.

I'd be curious to know if any one else has experienced these sort of 'problems' and how they were cured, as it will annoy me until sorted.

Also, I am considering changing the down pipe and centre section and getting a remap but find the variations baffling Any thoughts on best exhaust combo, mot friendly and not too loud appreciated.

cheers

Steve

PS it was off the road for about 6 months before I bought it, would lack of use be an issue? Also I changed the paper air filter for a green one straight away.
Old 13 September 2011, 08:58 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

change the centre pipe to a deres one from the likes of scoobyparts and the burble will be back.
Old 13 September 2011, 10:17 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

The 2.5 is quite different in character to the 2.0 litre.
When I test drove a demo 2.5 UK STI I was totally underwhelmed and plumped for a 2.0 WRX PPP which was just as quick, sounded better and didn't bounce and jump over slight undulations. Saved around £5k too.
I didn't drive it on track, however....where the rock hard STI may have been more focused.
A decent exhaust will release the burble. A decat and remap will allow the engine to breathe and burn more freely, releasing more bhp and improving throttle response.
In my experience of 2 PPP cars, they vary massively
Old 13 September 2011, 10:36 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

2 remapers on your doorstep mate ( AndyF and Trackhound ) who am sure will transform your car ??!!
Old 14 September 2011, 08:22 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

I went from a standard 52 plate WRX wagon to a new GB270 wagon and always liked the GB270 - sounded better than my standard WRX and handled much better - also much more low down torque and an easier engine for everyday driving - seemed to run out of puff though around 5000-5500 rpm and the standard brakes (as previous WRX) were poor.

Throttle response was/is perfect and no flat spots unless run on 95 ron fuel? Or worse BP 97 Ron Ultimate which it hates!

Done lots to get it towards where I want it but when it was mapped though it was barely making 230BHP on Vpower - not the 267BHP claimed - but did just hit 300lbft torque.

Better exhaust with a sport cat and a remap will make a big difference. VF43 turbo from an STI and an STI top mount intercooler/diffuser/bellows and decent exhaust again is a popular upgrade.

NB: Check out the 2.5 engine failures threads though before any major mods and gearbox limitations. You have been Warned.
Old 14 September 2011, 10:46 AM
stevie 54 wrx swagon
Scooby Newbie

Thanks very much for the replies. I run the car on Tesco 99 but not sure what previous owner used. It doesn't feel to me that it is making the 270bhp claimed, I often drive a 2.0 S3 Audi which outputs 260 odd bhp and it is much quicker and smoother.

The guy who did my brakes wasn't sure how many cats the 270 has, I know my last ppp had one removed, but not sure if this is the same or still has 3? Any thoughts on which exhaust to go for and how many cats I have/can remove appreciated.

I've heard of Andy Forrest but not Trackhound - are they recommended also?

cheers

Steve
Old 14 September 2011, 11:55 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Yep get yourself onto the scottish scoobies . net website or even the scottish section off this forum and ask about either off them and you will get plenty off excellent reviews on both off them. have yet to here a bad word said about either off them. top blokes I have heard !!

just waitting to get my decat pipe / fuel pump fitted and will be down to see Trackhound myself for my cars first remap.

let us know how you get on ??
Old 16 September 2011, 02:32 PM
stevie 54 wrx swagon
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice. Will update when it's sorted