Notices

stepper fuel pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2009, 10:06 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stepper fuel pressure gauge

I fitted a stepper fuel pressure gauge today to see what was happeneing to pressure while on boost, i have an adjustable fuel pressure reg with gauge but its not a fancy one, fse i think. anyway the stepper gauge uses a fuel prssure sender much like like an oil pressure sender but with different terminals.

when i started the car car the gauge in car flew up to 4bar and stayed, took for a slow drive to see if it moved and not much happened. Applied some boost and it didnt rise above 4bar. the gauge in the car read 4bar on idle with the vac attcahed but the one on the gauge read 3bar with the vac attached. so i decided to lower the pressure on the rea to see if it moved on the stepper gauge and it did so lowered it to read 3bar. took it out again and this time when the boost began to rise the fuel pressure did too, upto 4 bar with 1 bar of boost.fiddled again and tried 3.5 bar idle and with 1 bar of boost it ony went to 4bar not 4.5bar.

Im still on the original fuel pump for the car which is a my 98uk turbo wagon on 130k. time for a new one?

i know the pressure is high with 3bar with vac attached and should be 3bar with the vac off.

are these fuel pressure senders accurate?do i give faith to a cheap fse reg gauge or a 50quid fuel pressure sender and stepper gauge? motor meter is the make.

Afr gauge reads rich when on WOT which i have only done a little bit for testing.

Cheers
Rich
Old 29 November 2009, 11:15 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting one that mate.

I'm waiting for an autogauge stepper motor fuel gauge at the moment - should have it soon, and I also have an FSE valve with the built in gauge.
No idea which I can trust if they are different, but I think the important thins is that you can accurately monitor the AFR, and you can at least use the gauge for comparative measuring, or to detect engine killing problems if the pressure drops for some reason.

Be interested to know of anything you find out though....

This is the kind that I've got on order:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Blue-Led-5...item27aae6c965

Last edited by Cret; 29 November 2009 at 11:19 PM.