Notices

Hawkeye help!

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2009, 03:53 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hawkeye help!

I have just brought a 2007 STI Hawkeye. I travelled over 500 miles round trip to pick her up from a scooby dealership. I swapped my 2004 sti, with 60K on the clock, and dispite struts going on her i had had no problems with her at all. On my return journey i noticed a rattle comming from the engine when pulling off from a juction. Also on the return journey when giving it beans i changed gear into 4th and got a slight cruch from the gear box this has happend about 4 times in 1400 miles since.

As my driveway is on an fair incline when working the clutch to park i am getting a really nasty smelling from the clutch. does any one else get this? or is my cluch on the way out?

When i break hard i also get a major grinding noise from o/s frount brake.

Decided to take her to the only place i trust my allstar dealership (keith price crickhowell) turns out they have identifided it the grind from the brakes as worn pads and discs, to the point they are now dangerous! I also had the frount shocks replaced (under warrenty) as the car was handling like a bag of.. We thought that this was also the cause of the rattle. The rattle turned out to be two bolts missing from the turbos heat sheild!!! The grind from the gear box could be the syncromesh.

Did i mention i couldn't get the boot to open via the key either??? this was just a build up of grime now sorted.

The good news is the heat sheild, syncromesh, boot, can be sorted under warrenty. I have started the ball rolling on a offical compaint to the orginal dealership because i realy don't want to spend £800 on new discs an pads when this should have been picked up prior to sale. Re: the cluch well fingers crossed...

I have only 24K on the clock. Has anyone ever had so many problems with such a new scoob??? Or was it that the former owner (RBS) didn't know how to drive and just abused it?

O yeah forgot to mention the speedo was changed due to a fault so were all the rims prior to my ownership..

I have got to be honest i am panicing that out of all the scoobs out there i have the dog .... or have I just been unlucky, Any thoughts on this guys????

Last edited by T5BNC; 28 November 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 28 November 2009, 05:36 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

RBS probably leased it to some "company car type" who abused it.... a dealer will sell you your own mother if they can, by all means give them hell.....

IMHO

dunx
Old 28 November 2009, 05:49 PM
matt6666
Scooby Regular

My clutch used to smell a bit when manoeuvring, especially up a hill etc, mine lasted til about 63K then needed replacing.

Disks and pads aren't £800, the dealer told me £600 for new front disks but they can be had MUCH cheaper here - Aztec Performance Ltd

As you've not had it long you could probably use the cooling off period as bargaining power
Old 29 November 2009, 12:23 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, I just hope i don't get any further issues...
Old 29 November 2009, 01:28 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

24k miles with all those issues don't give much confidence and sound like it has been a bit of grief.
The clutch does smell a bit if slipped going up a slope though. It can also smell if not used quite a few days.
Old 29 November 2009, 01:43 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Thanks man... The good news is when my garage replaces the syhncro for me he will have a look at the clutch and give me the run down..

Also bob from aztec proformance seems to have some great deals on awesome brakes.. so i am going to try and get the scooby dealership to give me cash as a good will jesture....
Old 29 November 2009, 01:51 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

I've got a set of the standard hawkeye STi front discs and pads available with less than 1000 miles on them if you have to buy some.
Old 29 November 2009, 02:02 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Thanks man, I might take you up on that, how much do you want for them?
Old 29 November 2009, 05:03 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

£175 plus postage

nick
Old 29 November 2009, 06:49 PM
ITEC
Scooby Regular

Hi, i have a 56plate hawkeye and have had from new, i had a clutch fail at 14 months and on contacting the dealer i wasn't even given an appointment to check the fault, i was told it was down to driver abuse and thats that, in all fairness it probably was and decided there was no point fitting a standard clutch, i went with a twin plate hks and now have 21k on the clock and am running over 400bhp but clutch is perfect, expensive but the job was only done once.
Old 29 November 2009, 08:01 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Itec thanks for the info. That does reassure a bit. does anyone know if Subaru changed something from the 2.0 to the 2.5? Clutch wise?
Old 18 December 2009, 09:48 AM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Well i thought i would bring this thread to a conclusion.

Aztec proformance offered me great discs and pads one third of the price of the dealership and much better proformance with high heat tolerant motul break fluid. Dingles of Norwich (orignal dealership who sold me the car) agreed to pay for these, as they were saving money and agreed the breaks should have been checked and replaced prior to sale..

The cruch in 4th was a worn gear so they replaced this and 3rd as it had seen better days. The rattle was the heatshield from the turbo albeit the bottom half was missing altogther, which was replaced. The clutch plate was 50% warn and keith price offer to replace saving on future labour costs. The cost was £105.

The good news was the warrenty pick up the bill for the work on the gear box and most of the labour. which left me to pay for the breaks plus labour, clutch plate and turbo heat shield. The even better news was I thought i would push my luck and send the whole bill, not just the breaks, to Dingles total being £611.48... Dingles paid the whole thing without quibble woo!!

The car is now awesome to drive, and dispite the slow start fair playto Dingles subaru.. And as mentioned before Keith price of Crickhowell FTW
Old 18 December 2009, 11:13 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Well done mate nice when you here someone having a bit of luck
It does sound like the car had been driven hard before you bought it, but now you have sorted it should be fine so enjoy
Old 18 December 2009, 12:38 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Glad it's sorted.
Old 19 December 2009, 11:49 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done.

Dingles are true enthusiasts as well as being good people to deal with.
Old 19 December 2009, 05:10 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

cheers guys
Old 21 December 2009, 11:15 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Glad you got it sorted and like the brakes.

I bet the dealership had a big sigh of relief at the bill