Notices

My 99 immobiliser

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2009, 10:42 PM
Notts.stityper
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 99 immobiliser

Hi does anyone know any common problems with immobiliser on my99 cars mine keeps playing up thanks
Old 26 November 2009, 11:02 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends what you mean by playing up.

The only common prob is radio lockout. Thats where the keyfob won't remotely arm/disarm. Usually caused by radio equipment near hospitals/police stations. It's overcome by entering the pin into the alarm keypad, in the glovebox.
Old 27 November 2009, 10:01 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Notts.stityper
Hi does anyone know any common problems with immobiliser on my99 cars mine keeps playing up thanks
Are you talking about the factory fit immobiliser that uses the key transponder (on a UK/Euro market car), the UK market fit Sigma M30 alarm system (which commonly suffers the lockout problem described above) or something else?

If you're not sure, the way to tell is that with the "factory" immobiliser, you can crank the car over and it sounds like it's going to start, but then immediately cuts out with the check engine light flashing.

If you mean the keychip system, the only thing likely to go wrong with them that would cause intermittent playing up would be dodgy connectors or wiring between the aerial around the steering lock, the immobiliser unit under the steering column, or between the immobiliser and the ECU.

If you're talking about the Sigma, or another aftermarket system, then the list of potential causal factors is obviously wider. If you can describe the symptoms in detail it'll be easier to help you.