Notices

Fuel line probs with my Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 03:58 PM
cappy24170
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fuel line probs with my Legacy

Hi all, newbie with a problem here, looking for some help. bit of a story to this but i'll be brief.
picked up a '91 Legacy 1.8 gl in Feb09, sweet deal! noticed it had a universal fuel filter. had one or two starting probs but never 'first' start of the day. got it going by flooring accelerator. thought this cud be down to the f/filter. ok
8 months later same thing, only now it also happens after a small trip (shops) or as now, 10 secs or so after first start. flooring/flooding isnt working. I did get it going the other day when a mate was towing me home & it ran ok for a few days.

have had a look at past posts on the forum & have tried to narrow down the prob. whilst the f/filter is not ideal i can get hold of a used scooby one, but i have disconnected the fuel pipe & petrol has NOT pissed out, even when turning over. have chkd that juice arrives at connector under rear seat o/s. I no longer hear the elec system standby noise.

is there anything else that controls the pump? i see references to a 'relay' maybe being involved, or what is this ECU thing?
what does the 'canister' do?

as you can tell, i'm no mechanical genius. I am also in a remote(ish) part of France & very reluctant to let the local bloke get his hands on her. luckily a friend has two dead scoobs in her garden.

if it turns out to be the fuel pump i'm going to be asking how to get at it. any online refs/walkthrus welcome.

Truly screwed here without wheels so hope you can help. thanks in advance

Last edited by cappy24170; 19 November 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 20 November 2009, 05:25 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

sounds like pump prob.does the pump prime (buzz)every time you turn ignition on?it should.if not check relay located either in engine bay fuse box or under dash,i cant remember exactly from my old leg'.this could be intermitantly playing up.then id check/replace fuel pump.dont worry about the cannister its just an emmissions thing.
Old 21 November 2009, 07:10 PM
cappy24170
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that 'milliemoo'. there are two relays under the hood, but in fact i decided to get pro-active & whipped the pump & fuel filter out of my friends' Leg L & fitted them to my GL. started first time. i was gobsmacked. Ok, they weren't identical parts but they work! carb needs regulating now, jerky in low gears but smooth at speed.
I reckon that if it plays up again i should be looking at the relay. cross that bridge later eh?

Thanks again, take care