Notices

fitted ppp ecu help

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 08:56 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fitted ppp ecu help

Ok as title, fitted the ppp ecu to my00, befor i fitted the ecu i had prodrive back box decat centre and 100 cell sports cat downpipe fitted. So all i needed was the intercooler pipe, this was fitted a few days later. Befor the intercooler pipe was fitted the car was boostin 1.1 1.2 ish bar, now it's over boostin goes to around 1.3 then drops of to .7 befor settling at 1.1.

The question is it's the brass pill, but with out nowing the right size and been trail and error. Can i just fit a manual boost controoler( i have 1) set to 1.1-1.2 and all will be fine??

Cheers
Old 19 November 2009, 10:59 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd be better off avoiding the MBC if you can. Drilling out the restrictor is the better option. The "right size" will be unique to your car, so by definition it will be a process of trial and error, but you should be able to get it right pretty easily.

Get a set of mini-drills and take it out 0.05mm at a time until the boost is consistent again.
Old 19 November 2009, 11:03 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

ok can't remember is bigger less boost I.E if it's 1mm if i take it to 1.1 will it boost less.cheers for speedy reply
Old 19 November 2009, 01:57 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

The bigger the hole the more the wastegate opens. Going from 1mm to 1.1 won't make a huge difference.

To be safe take it out .1mm each time you make an adjustment. IMHO i don't think you'll start to see a real difference till it's about 1.2-1.3mm.

The other option is to port your wastegate. That gets rid of boost spiking and creeping issues more common in cold weather or because of a dirty or malfunctioning electronic boost controller. Better to be slightly under boosting than over.

Ultimately the best way forward is to fit a 3-port electronic boost control solenoid replacing your 2-port, porting your wastegate, and then a remap.

Works every time!!
Old 19 November 2009, 01:59 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If he's going to fit a three port and/or remap that kindof defeats the object of the PPP ECU he's just bought, but as a general point, you're correct.

Shouldn't be any need at all to port the wastegate on a TD04.
Old 19 November 2009, 03:38 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

I would double check using a pressure source that you havent got a boost leak on one of your new pipe unions, sounds a bit fishy to me that it was fine before you fitted a bit of induction piping, I wouldn't have thought it would have made a difference tbh. If this checks out okay then I would think an mbc or ebc is a fair suggestion in this situation, its sure to sort out the boost fluctuations if the stock boost control pill is to blame.
Old 20 November 2009, 12:28 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L3YMS
I would double check using a pressure source that you havent got a boost leak on one of your new pipe unions, sounds a bit fishy to me that it was fine before you fitted a bit of induction piping, I wouldn't have thought it would have made a difference tbh. If this checks out okay then I would think an mbc or ebc is a fair suggestion in this situation, its sure to sort out the boost fluctuations if the stock boost control pill is to blame.
The standard intercooler pipe is restricted, hence better flow higher boost readings.