Notices

sti5 tuning (turbo advice)

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2009, 01:25 AM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sti5 tuning (turbo advice)

My sti5 needs a new clutch and I think I'm going to use the garage time to get abigger turbo and remap. Ideally I am looking for 350bhp, and dont want to fit a front mount. I know I'll need new injectors and am wondering what the turbo options out there are. I'm thinking that an18g would be most suitable. Are there any other considerations? At present I just have a full decat. Stopping and suspension are sorted with wilwood 6 pots and prodrive proffesional kit with whiteline drops and arbs. What other mods would be needed?
Old 17 November 2009, 01:47 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're in a bit of an odd situation there, power-wise. If you want more, and assuming your car is standard at the moment, you'll probably be able to get into the region of 320-330bhp simply via a good remap with nothing else, bar a fuel pump possibly, changed.

So that's one option, and if you're there, shelling out what could be a sizeable amount of money on a new turbo just to get another 20-30bhp might seem like a bit of a poor return on investment.

If you did go for 350, VF34/35 or TD05 16G probably the obvious choices - and again depending on your engine you may be okay on your existing injectors, especially with changes in the fuel pump or pressure reg areas.

Might get better bang for buck sticking with the VF28 and 440's for a while, then fitting a newage STi topmount intercooler, some ported or aftermarket headers and up-pipe and then getting a remap.

Result should be a much more drivable car producing within a handful of horsepower of your original target but without going into the torque levels likely to cause your gearbox immediate problems, while in the IC and headers you'll also have good supporting mods for the next moves you make.

Last edited by Splitpin; 17 November 2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 18 November 2009, 12:04 AM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply,

Cost/benefit wise I was thinking a remap is probably going to be in the region of £500 and as I'm having the clutch done (I think its an exhaust off job) the turbo would be little extra work. Can get a VF35/TD05 which will hit 350 for about £500 so I'd be looking at £500 for just a remap to take me to around 320-330 with no mods or £1000 to take me to 350+bhp. Not really keen on changing headers/intercooler as the cost is pretty high for the reward and the car has a good deal of rust in it (though mechanically mint) which means it'll probably struggle with an MOT in a couple of years. Already upgraded the fuel pump so could I just increase the fuel pressure and stick with the 440's to see 350?
Old 18 November 2009, 12:09 AM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if thats the case is it really worth spent any money on it. personally i think i would be looking to invest incar that is going to last.
Old 20 November 2009, 01:02 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

The car was very cheap when I bought it, and when the rust gets the better of it I'll keep the suspension and brakes and break the rest of the car. I figured if I bought a mint sti5/6 now I'm looking at £5-6k + mods. This thing cost me 2.5k a year ago so even if I run it into the ground in the next couple of years and break whats left over then I'm still ahead of the depreciation on a minter and if I were to blow up a 6k sti6 then it would be at least a £2k bill to fix it.