Notices

no brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2009, 07:52 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no brake pedal

fiited 2nd hand calipers and bigger disc froma later model to my early classic which just had 2 pot callipers.

fitted them, and decide to drive it to garage about 800yards from my house, with just handbrake - as i didnt have an assistant to help bleed brakes.

they get back to me saying they cant get a pedal - looks like master cylinder failure

so fit 2nd hand master cylinder and take to garage to bleed full system -still no pedal and telling me the system is drawing air somewhere. no fluid leaks from anywhere tho?

today im replacing the copper washers on the braided brake lines and will loosen off all connections on master cylinder and retighten inase one pipe hasnt seated properly.

have i missed anything obviuos?
what would be your next move if this doesnt work?

cheers
Old 16 November 2009, 09:12 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No fluid in the caliper to push the piston, ie they need bleeding, you can buy a kit so you can bleed it on your own or get a mate to give you a hand, but I doubt its anything but this.

Tony
Old 16 November 2009, 10:19 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

yeah sorry mate, my posts not too clear, its been in the garage twice now to be bled,

first time they told me the master cylinder was fcked, as they couldnt get a pedal, so i fitted a new one

2nd time i took it in to be bled - they said they bled it several times each time getting a clear stream of fluid, then on a final bleed, the system was full of air again, suggesting its drwing air from somwhere

anyway fingers crossed i just fixed it.

after checking then double checking before fitting the calipers origionally, ive just taken off teh flexis and replaced the copper washers, only to find one had 2 washers on the caliper side of the banjo bolt

im 99% sure this is the problem

off to get them bled AGAIN lol
Old 16 November 2009, 01:39 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Check the bleed nipples are at the top of the caliper? if there at the bottom it wont bleed properly.

If this is the case the calipers are on the wrong side>
Old 16 November 2009, 01:55 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

is that correct turbo ****?

becasue they are defo at the bottom of the caliper

thatsvery useful thanks for the info mate
Old 16 November 2009, 01:57 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
is that correct turbo ****?

becasue they are defo at the bottom of the caliper

thatsvery useful thanks for the info mate
In that case there on the wrong side and will never bleed properly> swap them over and bleed again and all will be ok
Old 16 November 2009, 01:59 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

you are indeed the man mate!

ill be swapping callipers in the p*ssing rain tonight lol

cheers
Old 16 November 2009, 02:08 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
you are indeed the man mate!

ill be swapping callipers in the p*ssing rain tonight lol

cheers
Cool glad to help. What happens is air sits in the top of the caliper and cant be pushed out with the nipple at the bottom as obviously its lighter that the fluid so it just sits in there unless the nipple is at the top.
Old 16 November 2009, 02:14 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

it makes total sense now mate - was just in too much of a hurry to get them on

couldnt see the problem for looking at it,

thanks again
Old 16 November 2009, 02:22 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

So let's get this straight. You took the car to a garage for the calipers to be bled, and supposed professional mechanics didn't notice that you'd fitted them the wrong way up - to the point of fitting (and selling you?) a new master cylinder?

If this does turn out to be the explanation, I wouldn't take your car anywhere near that place again. Abjectly obvious, stupid and downright dangerous error.
Old 16 November 2009, 03:17 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 16 November 2009, 04:14 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

no quite but not far off,

they couldnt get a pedal when bleeding - they suggested chances are it was master cylinder

i bought one off ebay fitted it myself and took it back and they bled again, this time continually getting air in system (from my double washer mistake i presume)

they never charged me anything, and did it at short notice i just turned up as a favour as i was claiming it would be a 10 m in job (which it should have been), i never asked them to check my work - although if they had looked closer they should have noticed really

however the blame lies mostly with me , for fitting them wrongly in the first place - it wasa stupid mistake and was because i rushed the job

anywau thats themn swapped, and being bled tomorow - by another garage incidentally
Old 16 November 2009, 04:35 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
no quite but not far off,

they couldnt get a pedal when bleeding - they suggested chances are it was master cylinder
Exact circumstances notwithstanding, the mechanic would have to be a bit thick (or the apprentice who's never done brakes before) not to realise that the bleed nipple needs to be at the highest possible point on the caliper.

i bought one off ebay fitted it myself and took it back and they bled again, this time continually getting air in system (from my double washer mistake i presume)
You're probably presuming wrong there. Fitting the crush washer in the wrong place would have compromised the seal to a degree, but unlikely sufficiently to allow air into the system in any significant quantity, provided the banjo bolt was tight.

Even if it was a contributing factor, it would only influence that side.

Re. bleeding, why on earth are you taking it somewhere? Aside from the necessity to drive the car on the road with air in your brakes, if you're competent enough with spanners to change the calipers and discs yourself, why don't you do the whole job?
Old 16 November 2009, 05:11 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

thinking about it the reason the callipers were fitted the wrong way was because i was upgrading the brakes and have never worked on a subaru before, the brake pipe connection on the origional caliper is near the bottom of the caliper, with the new calliper its near the top, but i put it on with the brake pipe connection in its "natural feeling" position, fitting them just there the pipe which is braided has to be more "rounded"

but thats no excuse - yes you are right it should really have been picked up - however im not about to go down shouting at them when really its my fault in the first place,

the reason im taking it is because its on an fairly steep incline driveway - im reluctant to even attempt to try get the 4 wheels off the ground, i have 2 jacks, 1 axle stand, and a few bricks. i also dont have anyone to help me bleed it during the day. its also outside and its generally been p*ssing down for days, and i dont fancy rolling about on the wet ground.

i could go and buy a 1 man bleeding kit but for all the job should cost me, its just so much easier up on a ramp with an assistant.