fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2009, 07:43 PM
stevesscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel smell

hi guys
when my car is cold there is a strong smell of petrol, the car runs ok and the smell seems to go after five mins or so (it really is pretty strong smell), i have had a look around but cant find a leak but there is a smell of petrol under the bonnet. car is running well and semms normal power etc. its only started last few days
anyone any ideas

steve
Old 09 November 2009, 08:27 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

Have a check at the pipes comming through the bulkhead to the fuel filter at the back right hand side of the engine bay. make sure their not loose or leaking.
Old 09 November 2009, 11:07 PM
Biffa
Scooby Newbie

Steve
What year & model is your car ? bugeye WRX by any chance.
Keith.
Old 10 November 2009, 03:13 PM
b11fyn
Scooby Regular

Hope this helps, this info was given to me by mark.

Common fault on bugeye had the same on my 2002 sti last winter , pop the bonnet and look at the fuel rail that runs under the inlet manifold on the left side there are two short rubber hoses that join the metal pipes and also one on far right side these start to go ridgid and loose there flexibility , in the cold weather the metal pipes contract more than the rubber hoses will return to there original size and thus leak . To check pop bonnet and get someone to turn ignition on to prime fuel system do this 2 or 3 times and you will smell fuel and see a small amount leaking from one of the rubber hoses . Bad news is there is no access to the rubber hoses or the clamps to tighten them , sadly it is inlet manifold off car , turn upside down ro reveal rubber hoses i bought new hose from local motor factors £3 and replaced them all 2 new inlet manifold gaskets £12 and then put back together . Remove top mount and then start to dissconnect all electric connectors it takes time but you can't mix them up garages will charge a fortune as labour intensive job inlet manifold lifts off with wiring loom and fuel lines attached to under neath have to disconnect turbo inlet pipe so check this for any damage or wear if any found replace as it is also a inlet manifold off job to change this , alot of people use this oportunity to do the parallel fuel mod it up to you , you would need a reg £75-£100 and adaptor these can be purchased off a guy on scoobynet might be called carl do a search . Its a pain off a job but you can't leave a fuel leak problem .

regards

shaun
Old 10 November 2009, 04:04 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Was just about to copy and paste but you beat me to it , got yours sorted yet ?

Mark