Notices

Classic turbo up pipe benefits

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2009, 08:27 PM
0victory0
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic turbo up pipe benefits

Hi was just wondering what the benefits are of changing the turbo up pipe to an aftermarket pipe? Im sure I read there's a cat or somthing in the newage scoobs but is this same for classic uk my00 scoobs? is it a worth while modification? I have already got a full decat system on car with a his panel filter.cheers
craig
Old 06 November 2009, 11:37 PM
martome123
Scooby Regular

Default up pipe

Well my 98 turbo wagon has got a cat on up pipe and like u center and rear hay & scott stainless........benafits are a bit more noise and small power gain and non bebafits are a pain in the *** at mot time( debateable i know) and no noubht bit more fuell.....(like u need that....mpg on mine prob 25 mies) not suer if i,ll do mine as mot emisions well under limit (and only 1 cat instead of 2).....my latest mod is a dump valve( 2 piston type other wise get idle problems) & can say bol@#$ks to those who dont agree as i know that me scoob picks up better between gears ,, increased boost pressure and drives generally better all round................there finnished..........................hope,this helps..........martin
Old 07 November 2009, 05:18 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you choose the right uppipe you will get a performance benefit over the O/E.
Old 07 November 2009, 12:07 PM
0victory0
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replies guys, so it's a recomended upgrade then. Any recomendation on a turbo up pipe?
Cheers
craig
Old 07 November 2009, 12:26 PM
batmanwrx
Scooby Regular

speak to harvy ported headers and a aftermarket up-pipe should see you reduce spool up time of the turbo
Old 08 November 2009, 04:03 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

It is important that you get the right uppipe for your application/spec/turbo otherwise you may take a step backwards. That is why there are six uppipes in my two bolt performance uppipe designs and two in the three bolt flange performance uppipe designs.
Old 08 November 2009, 09:18 AM
0victory0
Scooby Regular

Ok I have a td04 turbo on a uk classic, with full decat and panel filter. Anysiggestions on an up pipe? Harvey do you have a website or anything?
Cheers
Old 08 November 2009, 09:41 AM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

hang on there is not a cat in your uppipe and you aswell martome123 there is 2 cats in a classic 1 in the downpipe and 1 in the centre section ! the pre cat was brought in on the later models in the uppipe and im sure that was only on the wrx and non turbos.
if your looking for a performance upgrade from the uppipe its best to change the headers aswell (also see harvey for these )
Old 09 November 2009, 12:19 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Because the TD04 does not move a lot of air you want a small diameter uppipe which will show a gain over the OE item. The cost of a new uppipe DEI wrapped, slip jointed with five new studs is £139 but as an engine below, for best gains you want a matched uppipe along with ported headers which come DEI wrapped and the price for the headers and uppipe is £369 exchange.
As much as I want to sell you an uppipe, the gains from that alone will not be great so go for an uppipe and header combination but your first mod would be to get rid of the OE downpipe. Go for something like a 3" open neck complete decat downpipe although 2.5" is adequate for your power level as is the Revolution downpipe which is not open neck.
I can do you a downpipe but it is too expensive for your application. It is designed with extra Lambda bosses and intended for big power cars. £215. You should be able to pick one up that is adequate for your job for around £165. The downpipe should take preference over the uppipe. Next mod after that would be headers and matched uppipe.