Notices

Advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2009, 05:09 PM
Tracktoy1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise needed

Having just got my car back after several months to and fro, its really long story which I might post up depending on outcome. It initially had a 2.5 block fitted with my V3 heads after i blew the original. It then had a symtek + mapping by Steve simpson. Its now come back after another change of headgaskets, and the car is running very rich, when i start it up whether hot or cold, its very lumpy as if its missing on a cylinder or two, blip the throtle and it smoothes out to a high ish idle, bout 1100rpm. driving is fine until i give a boot, where it will give a massive cough and then goes. I've checked all connections and vac pipes, plugs are very black and soot is apperaing over rear of car ?. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Note nothing else was changed when heads were off for a second time.

p.s Its a '97 classic, 2.5 block, V3 heads, Fmic and induction kit. was running well
Old 05 November 2009, 06:35 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did the head gaskets have to be changed?
If the heads have been off then you can expect the map needs tweeking.
Has anything else been changed? Skimmed heads for instance.?
Why not give Steve Simpson a ring and ask him to look at your map and determine what has changed.
Old 05 November 2009, 07:06 PM
Tracktoy1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for reply, the heads were off for a second time due to headgasket failure after 300 miles, (water loss, overheating and hydro carbons in coolant). They were ment to been skimmed 1st time round but cant be sure, they supposed to have been skimmed this time tho. All seems good on the cooling this time round. I've already spoken to Steve simpson and he's at a loss as nothing was has been changed apart from gaskets and a skim. I'm not sure if a slightly higher compression would make it run rich and also the company had to get thicker gaskets. pls keep surgestions coming, really hacked.
Old 06 November 2009, 05:47 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Increased compresion ratio generally needs more fuel. If thicker gaskets replaced the previous items then your CR is reduced and you need less fuel, possibly quite a bit less.
Why not just ask Steve Simpson to look at your map, job sorted or is there more to it???Whatever the situation, you are not going to put it right by posting on here.
Bight the bullet and get the map looked at.
Old 06 November 2009, 08:19 AM
Tracktoy1
Scooby Newbie

Unfortunately Steve is 350 miles away but I'll def get the map looked at, I was just trying to see if anything else could have made the difference before having it re mapped. thanks.
Old 06 November 2009, 10:11 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Where are you located. We may have an alternative solution mate.
Old 06 November 2009, 12:27 PM
Tracktoy1
Scooby Newbie

Reading,
Old 07 November 2009, 04:56 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Why not have a word with Simon Roe/Jolly Green Monster.
Old 07 November 2009, 11:34 AM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

You mention above that it sounds like a cylinder or two, try un plugging each injector at a time to see if there is any difference to the running, if the difference is more or less equal on all four it would suggest fuelling issue ect and may not be related to mechanical parts I.e. work carried out. However if you find a cap that when removed makes less difference to the engine note then you have most probably located the problem. I would make sure all cylinders are firing evenly and correctly in case a missed part of the work say a miss placed shim is causing the problem.
Old 08 November 2009, 05:55 PM
Tracktoy1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, it runs very well after the innitial missing, have checked all the plugs and their all evenly black. have spoken to Simon at jolly green and he's trying to fit me in.