Notices

Yet another gearbox whine question

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2009, 08:23 PM
JonnyFresh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Yet another gearbox whine question

I have done a lot of reading on here at the millions of threads about different whines but can't find one like mine. Unless mine is two problems in one. lol.
When slowing down in either 1st or 2nd when it gets to about 2k revs i get a kind of waaawaaawaaaaaa noise, not very loud but it is there. Clutch down it goes, out of gear it goes. It is fine any other time.
Also when cruising along at motorway speed in 5th there is a VERY quiet but still there whine that is proportional to how fast I'm going. The faster I go the higher pitched it is. Doesn't do it in 4th though.
I changed the oil for syntrax too the other week but the noise stayed.
Car is a my99 uk turbo.
I know it looks a huge post but I wanted to be descriptive.
Old 02 November 2009, 10:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The motorway 5th gear whine is probably just normal mesh for that gearset so I wouldn't worry about it, unless it's only just started, your car has developed a habit of jumping out of fifth gear when you back off the throttle, or if, when you slow right down, it turns from a consistent (if lower pitched) whine into an irregular knocking.

The other one could be caused by a number of different things from gear tooth damage to a loose heatshield to noisy springs in the clutch driven plate. Unfortunately, as you probably realise, it's almost impossible to accurately describe that sort of thing in words; nothing beats actually sitting in or standing around a car an being able to place things like that. If it's an experienced ear, that helps too.

The slightly unfortunate bottom line is that if it's serious enough to be worth worrying about, you will probably get to a point where the cause is obvious.
Old 04 November 2009, 07:53 PM
JonnyFresh
Scooby Regular

Yea, I suppose. I'm not going to go to the expense of changing the gearbox yet. As it isn't doing anything other than making a bit of a noise. I'll have to scrape first and second gear off the drain plug next time I change the oil in it. lol.
Thought I would ask though because it might have been one of them things that I'd put up with for ages but someone could say "oh just tighten this" and it sort it. If you get what I mean.