Notices

safe engine running coolant temp ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2009, 05:37 PM
evo3500
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safe engine running coolant temp ?

Thanks for the help on my fuel leaking problem, got this sorted know.
Went for its 1st 10 mile test drive. I have few little concerns.

1. I think its to fast for me ! but I guess I should have known this as the car is half its original weight.

2. This is my main concern. The engine and gearbox fitted in my V-Storm is from a Subaru 555 STI 1996 classic jap import. Its fitted in the rear in a mid engine layout and has the stock 5 speed gearbox converted to 2 wheel drive. It has 2 triple core aluminium racing radiators one on each side of the engine with a pull fan fitted to the rear face of each radiator.
and overall has a similar surface area to the original radiator.

3. When the engine is warming up on tickover or gentle driving it gets to stat open 88 degrees in about 2 miles or 5-10 minutes driving or ticking over. The ecu cuts the fans in at 94 degrees.

When I drove the car fairly sedatley runs at 88-90 deg, any short stint in traffic, fans cutting in and out quite a lot, pulls it back down to 88 then goes back up pretty much straight away to 94 till fans cut back in again whilst in traffic.

On motorway cruising at 70mph runs at 92-95deg, and fans where running when I got to the giveway at the top of the slip road after coming of the motorway.

I expected it to run at 88 deg when driving normal or cruising steady on the motorway.

I think when the turbo starts boosting a lot when the car is driven quick. I think it may get to hot and overheat and boil over.

I have given it a few short squirts when at 88 degs,as soon as off the throttle you can see temp going up till fans kick in.

I have put scoops through the rear wings to allow air to be forced through the fins on the rads,also I have boxed them in behind the wing to form a sealed cowell that will pressure the air, but still seem to have these temps which I think are marginal.

4. I dont want to overheat or damage the engine.

Also worth noting is at the moment the intercooler is exposed but has no forced air through it, and it isnt in any main airflow, but I wouldnt have thought this would be an issue for the running temp when driven slow, I know this has to be sorted for fast hard driving.I am working on a scoop for this though now. how mant degs differance can it make to the coolant
temp ?

5. Is there any trick bleeding the cooling system ?

what a safe max temp for the coolant ?

Anyone got any other ideas for improving the cooling ?

I dont run a heater as if you have ever seen the car you will know that its not required ! Does the thermostat restrict the waterflow quite alot ?

I am thinking of removing it to see if it runs any cooler I know it will take longer to warm up but this isnt an issue. Can it cause any problems though ?

Lastly has anyone using a water temp reducing additive they claim 5-10 degrees ? should I try this as well ?

Well thats it, if I can get this sorted where in business.

Once again thanks in advance for you help.

PS: If anyone has one for sale, or a project gathering dust not looking for a showcar. I am after an imprezza,legacy, or forester estate for a tow car ( turbo variety of course) some work or tlc required not a probem cheaper the better but must be a reliable good workhorse,or be able to be turned into one.

cheers

Simon