Notices

annoying metalic noise from underneath?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2009, 02:29 PM
s60tyn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying metalic noise from underneath?

got this metal to metal noise coming from underneath the car. Thought it might be a heat shied loose? I was only getting it when reversing but now its doing it going forward too? Could it be anything to do with the dif? Only done 50k. Any ideas guys?
Old 01 November 2009, 02:31 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Does it happen all the time (or at random moments), or only when you accelerate (either in forward or reverse)?
Old 01 November 2009, 02:56 PM
s60tyn
Scooby Regular

its hard to explain! It used to only do it if i was reversing but now its doing it whilst the car is in motion. Free wheeling is when you mostly hear it. It doesn't do it when i accelerate. Its got all new brakes and full new exhaust? If that helps any? It almost sounds like the rear disc is slightly rubbing off the stone guard. But its not!
Old 01 November 2009, 03:40 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s60tyn
its hard to explain!
Noises like this usually are

It used to only do it if i was reversing but now its doing it whilst the car is in motion. Free wheeling is when you mostly hear it. It doesn't do it when i accelerate. Its got all new brakes and full new exhaust? If that helps any?
Are you able to link the onset of the noise with the brake or exhaust change? Does it happen when the car is stone cold, or only when warm?

It almost sounds like the rear disc is slightly rubbing off the stone guard. But its not!
Take it that it doesn't happen at all if you blip the throttle with the car at a standstill? If all else fails, whip it up on some axle stands and have a peek underneath. If you don't see anything obvious, start the engine, put the car in first and let the wheels roll round - hopefully you'll be able to provoke and localise it.
Old 01 November 2009, 05:38 PM
s60tyn
Scooby Regular

its not the brakes or exhaust ive checked. Also nothing to do with engine. I think if i was to roll the car without the engine running it would do it. But your right ill need to put the car up and have a right good look. Watch this space, ill keep you posted. Thanks for all your help.