Notices

OIL CHANGE

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2009, 01:52 AM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL CHANGE

Hi all, sorry to start this one off again but seen another post about oil change being done correctly ! i have an 03 sti blob and over the last 5/6 oil changes over 2.5 years i have always primed just the filter,as with all my older cars and disabled any spark,as this just seems sense to me, but with this modern car i dont really want to disconect any sensors or ignition, cant i just unplug the fuel pump or remove the fuse ? and run it out of fuel before the oil change and then turn it over a few times before starting up?? its starting to feel like brain surgery rather than messing with the socket set at the weekend.
Old 01 November 2009, 02:30 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

It's a lot, lot simpler than you think. Sounds like you're winding yourself up with the expectation of brain surgery when in fact all this stuff you're coming up with about unplugging the fuel pump and "disabling spark" would actually add up to a lot more work. There's no risk in disconnecting an engine sensor - not like you'll release the magic sensing juice or anything like that.

Unplugging the crankshaft position sensor requires no tools at all (other than your fingers), and, all in one move, it will disable spark and fuelling. Far less faffing about than messing around under the back seat trying to unplug the pump, for example.

So, fill the new filter with fresh oil (and keep topping it up until it doesn't absorb any more), disconnect the crankshaft position sensor (directly underneath the alternator) and then turn it over until the oil pressure light goes out - and a few seconds more for good measure. Reconnect the crank sensor and start it. Simple!
Old 01 November 2009, 10:08 AM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply, it does sound easy but it was not the disconecting that stoped me but do you not get the cel light come on afterwards which then needs turning off ? im sure i've seen on here that you do. i've no worries about pulling the sensor but have no way of sorting the light. is this even correct about the light ? cheers Rob.
Old 01 November 2009, 10:44 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You shouldn't get a CEL, and if you do it'll be one that will turn off by itself after three/six successful engine starts.
Old 01 November 2009, 11:20 AM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate ,will do that from now on ,cheers Rob