maf less use on stock cars

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2009, 04:04 PM
benjibarnicals
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maf less use on stock cars

hey all,

Is it worth going mafless on stock cars, with little or no engine mods (apart from perhaps the upgraded ecu)? or is it just worth it when the engine is heavily uprated.

I've got an Apexi PFC sitting here waiting to be fitted, wondering if its worth going mafless with the MAFSIM addon on. I'm not altering the engine much more than just that.

ta,
ben
Old 31 October 2009, 10:35 PM
EJ22 LAD
Scooby Regular

mafs are a common achilles heel on subarus mate, i dont think you would be wasting your time if your keeping car for a long time
Old 31 October 2009, 10:53 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I wouldent say they are the achilles heel, Ive owned scoobs for the last 4 years and never had a MAF problem to date, the MY99`s is a different matter they go through MAFs faster than amy Winehouse goes through a gram of coke
Old 31 October 2009, 11:02 PM
benjibarnicals
Scooby Newbie

haha, same problems on MY00? so what would you recommend? keeping the standard maf, upgrading the maf? or removing the maf and using the mafsim (for example) with my apexi pfc?
Old 31 October 2009, 11:36 PM
EJ22 LAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
I wouldent say they are the achilles heel, Ive owned scoobs for the last 4 years and never had a MAF problem to date, the MY99`s is a different matter they go through MAFs faster than amy Winehouse goes through a gram of coke
fair do's dunk, but havent you just contradicted yersel
maybe not achilles heel but hear of loads of maf probs, just ave a look in the wanted section for starters
Old 31 October 2009, 11:38 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Doh!! must remember to read posts properly in future

Old 01 November 2009, 01:39 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
The 99/00 sensors are (certainly were) more fragile than the others but the gram of coke comment is a little OTT. The green stripe version that Subaru have been selling for the last four years or so is pretty reliable provided they're used the correct way.

Originally Posted by benjibarnicals
haha, same problems on MY00?
1999 and 2000MY cars use the same sensor, yes, but as above I wouldn't agree with Dunk's summary of the situation.

so what would you recommend? keeping the standard maf, upgrading the maf? or removing the maf and using the mafsim (for example) with my apexi pfc?
Your setup sounds a bit odd tbh. If you're keeping the engine otherwise standard, why go for a PFC in the first place? You'd be just as well off in terms of performance getting the standard ECU remapped.

Anyway, all that said, if you are talking about a standard-ish engine, if I was in your shoes I'd stick with the standard airbox and MAF arrangement. Under those circumstances there's no reason to expect the sensor to be hugely unreliable - especially if you already have a green stripe one installed.

If it does go at some point in future, then that might be the time to decide whether to replace it with a new one or do something different.