ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   maf less use on stock cars (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/798052-maf-less-use-on-stock-cars.html)

benjibarnicals 31 October 2009 04:04 PM

maf less use on stock cars

hey all,

Is it worth going mafless on stock cars, with little or no engine mods (apart from perhaps the upgraded ecu)? or is it just worth it when the engine is heavily uprated.

I've got an Apexi PFC sitting here waiting to be fitted, wondering if its worth going mafless with the MAFSIM addon on. I'm not altering the engine much more than just that.

ta,
ben

EJ22 LAD 31 October 2009 10:35 PM

mafs are a common achilles heel on subarus mate, i dont think you would be wasting your time if your keeping car for a long time

RA Dunk 31 October 2009 10:53 PM

I wouldent say they are the achilles heel, Ive owned scoobs for the last 4 years and never had a MAF problem to date, the MY99`s is a different matter they go through MAFs faster than amy Winehouse goes through a gram of coke

benjibarnicals 31 October 2009 11:02 PM

haha, same problems on MY00? so what would you recommend? keeping the standard maf, upgrading the maf? or removing the maf and using the mafsim (for example) with my apexi pfc?

EJ22 LAD 31 October 2009 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9028368)
I wouldent say they are the achilles heel, Ive owned scoobs for the last 4 years and never had a MAF problem to date, the MY99`s is a different matter they go through MAFs faster than amy Winehouse goes through a gram of coke

fair do's dunk, but havent you just contradicted yersel:lol1:
maybe not achilles heel but hear of loads of maf probs, just ave a look in the wanted section for starters:D

RA Dunk 31 October 2009 11:38 PM

Doh!! must remember to read posts properly in future :freak3:

:lol1:

Splitpin 01 November 2009 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9028368)

The 99/00 sensors are (certainly were) more fragile than the others but the gram of coke comment is a little OTT. The green stripe version that Subaru have been selling for the last four years or so is pretty reliable provided they're used the correct way.

Originally Posted by benjibarnicals (Post 9028385)
haha, same problems on MY00?

1999 and 2000MY cars use the same sensor, yes, but as above I wouldn't agree with Dunk's summary of the situation.

so what would you recommend? keeping the standard maf, upgrading the maf? or removing the maf and using the mafsim (for example) with my apexi pfc?
Your setup sounds a bit odd tbh. If you're keeping the engine otherwise standard, why go for a PFC in the first place? You'd be just as well off in terms of performance getting the standard ECU remapped.

Anyway, all that said, if you are talking about a standard-ish engine, if I was in your shoes I'd stick with the standard airbox and MAF arrangement. Under those circumstances there's no reason to expect the sensor to be hugely unreliable - especially if you already have a green stripe one installed.

If it does go at some point in future, then that might be the time to decide whether to replace it with a new one or do something different.