Notices

help few questions bout knockink

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2009, 01:00 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help few questions bout knockink

hi guys just fitted me aftermarket knocklink with the 4 lights on an only place i found to bolt easy was manifold but as close to the block as poss. anyways ive come to 2 wires left. a red an a black. i can see that black is to neg an red is to live but i dunno where to connect the red wire. ive got it near the ashtray. what do i connect it to. i did connect it to a red wire from the little bulb but when i switch lights on the green light onb knocklink lights up. is there an indication to show the knocklink works perfect. i dont wanna keep screwing car just to know if it works. any pics would be of help to. cheers guys
Old 31 October 2009, 03:08 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The first green light is always on dim to show there is life in it. Cannot remeber if the *** lighter is a switched supply, check it and if it isswitched connect the red lead to there with a inline fuse. The instructions might say what size fuse but if not use a 5 amp fuse as the lighter circuit uses a 10 or 15 amp fuse I think.
Old 31 October 2009, 03:24 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

there was not with it mate. when i connected to red wire the dim green light only come on when the lights where switched on. i connected to red/yellow wire an the light now comes on when the ignition is switched on. im just hoping this is the right way. bit confusing
Old 31 October 2009, 03:24 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
hi guys just fitted me aftermarket knocklink with the 4 lights on an only place i found to bolt easy was manifold but as close to the block as poss.
Did you try to find the location on the top left of the block next to the starter? I checked myself the other day and you can fix a knock sensor to it without even undoing the intercooler, unless you have the arms of John Candy.

It's handy for more reasons than one, as aside from bolting to the block being better than tot the manifold, its proximity to the starter motor means that every time you start the car you should get an immediate self check whether the KnockLink is working.

As 360ste says you can use the cig lighter as a supply if push comes to shove. The inline fuse can be minute - 1A would still be many times what you need, the circuit probably draws less than a hundred milliamps with all five LEDs lit.

Incidentally, speaking of LEDs, you say at the top of your post that your box has four lights on it. Not casting aspersions over your ability to count, but are you sure? Reason I'm asking is that KnockLinks should have five LEDs - four small and one big. If yours really only has four, it's probably because a previous owner has remote mounted the big red one and not put it back before selling it. If yours is missing you'll need to replace it, or the value of the thing will be more than a little compromised.

i dont wanna keep screwing car just to know if it works.
Tap the block lightly with something metal - hammer, spanner or similar, and you should be able to light all five LEDs without much force at all.

Last edited by Splitpin; 31 October 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 03:46 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

cheers mate. its got 5 sorry im blind. i will rebolt next to the stater motor mate. i looked the where the cigarette lighter wires are an cant see an amp fuse there at all and im assuming there is 1 there as normal. so the red wire is the right 1 to connect to. because if yea the knock link lights up when the lights are switched on. cheers guys
Old 31 October 2009, 05:04 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You won't find a fuse there, the fuse for the lighter circuit is on the panel behind the coin tray. 360ste and I were indicating that you would need to add an extra one. You can get inline fuse holders from Halfrauds, Maplin etc.
Old 31 October 2009, 06:14 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

ah ok nice 1 splitpin. i figured that if there is power coming through then its gonna work an from then on the other 2 wires connected from the sensor will indicate anything higher. anyways i checked on it before an took the revs right up an indicated that 1 light was flashing the 1 that was dim so im assuming this is fine an tomorra i will check for that bolt hole near starter motor. i think it looks like the bolt is clamping down an earth or bracket but anyways will give another check