Notices

HKS Induction kit for MY99

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2009, 11:26 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Induction kit for MY99

anybody on here fitted this kit to an MY99, heard these are the best kits to go for on this year
Old 30 October 2009, 11:28 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you may have been told or heard incorrectly as the panel filter is good for well over 300bhp BUT if you do go for a kit the Apexi is better ,imo.
Old 30 October 2009, 11:29 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Just, are you ever going to modify your car or are you going to spend all your time here asking repetitive questions about bits you can buy for it? You're not Scoobynodd in disguise, are you?

Surely you've been around here long enough to realise that with the turbo (and power level) you've got the best thing you can do with the induction tract of your car is to leave the standard one on, and maybe replace the panel filter with a better one?

Do you ever use the search function prior to asking a question btw?

Last edited by Splitpin; 30 October 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 30 October 2009, 11:52 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

in answer to your question - yes they do their jobs. theyre a dry filter so wont harm your maf like an oiled one would. had one and replaced it for an apexi power intake - to be fair any dry induction kit is going to do the same job as each other. Handy if you plan on going for a fmic later in life too, as youl need one.

Wrighty
Old 30 October 2009, 11:59 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
Handy if you plan on going for a fmic later in life too, as youl need one.
Now you've done it!
Old 31 October 2009, 12:02 AM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Just, are you ever going to modify your car or are you going to spend all your time here asking repetitive questions about bits you can buy for it? You're not Scoobynodd in disguise, are you?

Surely you've been around here long enough to realise that with the turbo (and power level) you've got the best thing you can do with the induction tract of your car is to leave the standard one on, and maybe replace the panel filter with a better one?

Do you ever use the search function prior to asking a question btw?
I have already bought a VF29 Turbo looks like a good one, i cant seem to get a sti tmic for reasonable price all over £250 and if i'm spending that amount i'm gonna go front mount from harvey and take my chances with a induction kit, surely regardless of the power limits of my setup a fmic will benefit me with lower charge temps for my remap by andy f
Old 31 October 2009, 12:27 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by just123
I have already bought a VF29 Turbo looks like a good one, i cant seem to get a sti tmic for reasonable price all over £250
£250 is a reasonable price for one in good nick, especially with the inlet pipe and dumpvalve

and if i'm spending that amount i'm gonna go front mount from harvey and take my chances with a induction kit, surely regardless of the power limits of my setup a fmic will benefit me with lower charge temps for my remap by andy f
You've asked (and received answers) to exactly this question in the past, so rather than ask the same thing over and over again, why not go back through your own threads, or even ask your chosen mapper? There's a page on his website here that may help you.

Don't know whether terminal indecision is something you suffer from a lot, but if you carry on the way you're going, not only will you bore us all to death, Andy will probably be doddering around in a retirement home before you can put your car in front of him.
Old 31 October 2009, 12:31 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Now you've done it!
i see
Old 31 October 2009, 12:35 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Old 31 October 2009, 12:44 AM
just123
Scooby Regular

£250 is a reasonable price for one in good nick, especially with the inlet pipe and dumpvalve

You've asked (and received answers) to exactly this question in the past, so rather than ask the same thing over and over again, why not go back through your own threads, or even ask your chosen mapper? There's a page on his website here that may help you.

Don't know whether terminal indecision is something you suffer from a lot, but if you carry on the way you're going, not only will you bore us all to death, Andy will probably be doddering around in a retirement home before you can put your car in front of him.
If you look closely you will see each of my questions is actually different, being a High speed train driver i have high attention to detail , i'm just trying to arm myself with power with exctracting the maximum information from the forum
Old 31 October 2009, 09:22 AM
beezor
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pmsl
Old 31 October 2009, 10:17 AM
firebug
Scooby Regular

ive got hks on my 98uk. sounds good and never had any probs with it. havny had a remap either.
Old 31 October 2009, 10:29 AM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

just123 if its a 99 uk models u dont wanna be going over 300bhp. mine is at this level an hear bad things beyond. i got a uk300 tmic an works fine
Old 31 October 2009, 10:30 AM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by firebug
ive got hks on my 98uk. sounds good and never had any probs with it. havny had a remap either.
i think its for future reference to get a remap. u wont notice any problems now until later stage i suppose
Old 31 October 2009, 10:37 AM
firebug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
i think its for future reference to get a remap. u wont notice any problems now until later stage i suppose

i know but its a lot of money as id need a new ecu, ive heard the 98 ones arnt mappable. ive got a full decat and d.v on too but arnt doing any more engine mods.
Old 31 October 2009, 10:43 AM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

with the air filter an decat once mapped u can c an good few horsies added there i reckon but yea 98 arent mappable. try giving jgm a call if u decide. he might have a 2nd hand apexi there. but if your not mapping well just dont cane your car. the mixture of air to fuel is now lean an prob burn a hole in your piston
Old 31 October 2009, 11:31 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
just123 if its a 99 uk models u dont wanna be going over 300bhp. mine is at this level an hear bad things beyond. i got a uk300 tmic an works fine
where have you heard these bad things? im saying it all depends, sticking a 20g on and expecting it to be ok is a nono, you cannot just stick a big turbo on and expect it to be ok - i think this is where under educated modifiers come on here talking of their experience and put people off...like that fella the other day who held is car flat out for 2 miles on full whack...do that for even a mile and it can do your engine in.

also, it depends! the weakest link on the uk cars is the gearbox, so would all depend on how you drove it. there are guys on here with uk cars running 350+, i think one is even somewhere in the region of 380bhp and still going - all be it on borrowed time..but iv heard there are customers of a certain trader on here running over 400 ponies on uk 754 boxes.

take everything on here with a pinch of salt. i did, take a look at my project and tell me that wont make 350
Old 31 October 2009, 12:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Induction kits are not recommended on my99/00 cars due to the more sensitive maf's (its not just the oil on the filters that kill them but the vibration of the induction kit, even with fixed mountings).

As to some of the other questions uk classic engines (well all 2ltr classic turbo engines) have the same issue, crap conrods, which limits your power, they can let go as low as 330bhp and 350 is seen as the safe max limit.

Tony
Old 31 October 2009, 12:41 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
where have you heard these bad things? im saying it all depends, sticking a 20g on and expecting it to be ok is a nono, you cannot just stick a big turbo on and expect it to be ok - i think this is where under educated modifiers come on here talking of their experience and put people off...like that fella the other day who held is car flat out for 2 miles on full whack...do that for even a mile and it can do your engine in.

also, it depends! the weakest link on the uk cars is the gearbox, so would all depend on how you drove it. there are guys on here with uk cars running 350+, i think one is even somewhere in the region of 380bhp and still going - all be it on borrowed time..but iv heard there are customers of a certain trader on here running over 400 ponies on uk 754 boxes.

take everything on here with a pinch of salt. i did, take a look at my project and tell me that wont make 350
This is what my UK MY99 is getting

full decat, VF29 Turbo, fmic from harvey hybrid gt2, uprated fuel pump, ecutek remap by andy f also forgot to mention HKS induction kit and new maf sensor to be safe

some say its a waste of time fitting a fmic but surely the cooler the charge temp the better and safer, its about the same cost as a secondhand sti tmic
Old 31 October 2009, 01:06 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

the bit i heard was the gearboxes an clutch plus the internals of the engine. id love for more power but it scares me to gamble for more as i dont want a ruined car an cant afford an sti which i could only dream of. but if i was to go higher on this it will have to wait until work picks up an secure but i think next turbo is a td05 18g. i want to get to as u say 380bhp in time with minimal lag an a front mount to help an poss 550 injectors
Old 31 October 2009, 01:08 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

that was mant to be quoted 1st paragraph lol