Notices

Can someone help a girl out!

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2009, 08:06 PM
miss_scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help a girl out!

Hi all, hope someone can help. I have a loud rattle/knocking noise on the drivers side which travels across to the passengers side. This occurs when you are, say in 2nd gear doing 15-20mph and then put it into 3rd and accelerate gently. Thought it was my anti-roll bar bushes shot to pieces or drop links so tonite had them changed for MOT, yet still seems to be doing it. Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers Vick
Old 30 October 2009, 08:17 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

How long do you have till your MOT runs out? I only ask because if it is due in the next month you could get the MOT done okay it may fail but you will know what is at fault and get it sorted. I get mine done usually 28 days prior to expiry date and if it passes the MOT isdone from the expiry date of the old MOT so effectively a 13 month MOT. But if it fails you can still drive the car on the old MOT to shop for bits or take it somewhere else to be repaired. Hope this helps Steve
Old 30 October 2009, 08:35 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by miss_scooby
Hi all, hope someone can help. I have a loud rattle/knocking noise on the drivers side which travels across to the passengers side. This occurs when you are, say in 2nd gear doing 15-20mph and then put it into 3rd and accelerate gently. Thought it was my anti-roll bar bushes shot to pieces or drop links so tonite had them changed for MOT, yet still seems to be doing it. Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers Vick
Very, very difficult to diagnose rattles and knocks via the internet. The best advice in these situations is probably that you're likely to get it fixed quicker getting your car in front of someone who knows than you will asking on here and hoping someone guesses right. Could end up spending a lot of money changing bits that aren't at fault that way too.

Have you ruled out broken heatshields on the exhaust manifolds? Is there any way of making the noise "better" or "worse" (for instance, does it change if you accelerate while turning, etc etc)?

Edited to add: Is this noise front, back, under the middle of the car? Also what type and model year is your car?

Last edited by Splitpin; 30 October 2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 30 October 2009, 08:42 PM
Boydey77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by miss_scooby

Cheers Vick

I have a simular thing, i initally thought it was the boot lid rattling. After looking it up alot of people have said that the rear shocks give up quite quickly, do u think they could be to blame??
Old 30 October 2009, 09:05 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

same thing is happening on my ra posted a thread on here asking but no joy. gonna take mine in to a garage to get checked.
Old 30 October 2009, 09:08 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
How long do you have till your MOT runs out? I only ask because if it is due in the next month you could get the MOT done okay it may fail but you will know what is at fault and get it sorted. I get mine done usually 28 days prior to expiry date and if it passes the MOT isdone from the expiry date of the old MOT so effectively a 13 month MOT. But if it fails you can still drive the car on the old MOT to shop for bits or take it somewhere else to be repaired. Hope this helps Steve
sorry thought once you took your car for an MOT if it fails thats it its failed u cant drive on the old MOT as thats no longer valid
Old 30 October 2009, 09:18 PM
Boydey77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steffi4
same thing is happening on my ra posted a thread on here asking but no joy. gonna take mine in to a garage to get checked.
Let us know how you get on
Old 30 October 2009, 09:22 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by zeuss
sorry thought once you took your car for an MOT if it fails thats it its failed u cant drive on the old MOT as thats no longer valid
No mate you MOT is valid till the expiry date but as I said you can get it tested upto a month prior to expiry and if it passes you get a MOT starting the date your previous MOT expires.
Old 30 October 2009, 09:30 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
No mate you MOT is valid till the expiry date but as I said you can get it tested upto a month prior to expiry and if it passes you get a MOT starting the date your previous MOT expires.

Yes understood that but if it fails its irrelevant what date your MOT due a fail is a fail and your car is deemed unsafe for the road from the point on - thats from the new MOT rules
Old 30 October 2009, 09:39 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by zeuss
Yes understood that but if it fails its irrelevant what date your MOT due a fail is a fail and your car is deemed unsafe for the road from the point on - thats from the new MOT rules
Got me there. Technically speaking all the MOT does is state that at the time of testing your car met the criteria to pass the mot. If a month later your brake caliper seized you could still be driving that for the rest of your MOT and only find out on the test. Even though the car has been unsafe for 11 months. This is one argument that could go on for an eternity.
Old 31 October 2009, 06:10 PM
Minjeeta
Scooby Regular

Have you checked the dash for tic-tacs?
Old 12 November 2009, 07:59 PM
miss_scooby
Scooby Regular

the rattle is in the middle and its when you cruise in 4th, 5th doing about 40, 50. the sound is right under the back of the driver and passenger seat and goes right across the car, so havent a clue, please help x
Old 12 November 2009, 08:29 PM
clark822
Scooby Regular

Heatsheild on the cat ? Rubber mount on the middle section would of said bearing on the prop but would get worse with speed ? Is it a grumble, do you get it over bumps ?