ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Can someone help a girl out! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/797925-can-someone-help-a-girl-out.html)

miss_scooby 30 October 2009 08:06 PM

Can someone help a girl out!

Hi all, hope someone can help. I have a loud rattle/knocking noise on the drivers side which travels across to the passengers side. This occurs when you are, say in 2nd gear doing 15-20mph and then put it into 3rd and accelerate gently. Thought it was my anti-roll bar bushes shot to pieces or drop links so tonite had them changed for MOT, yet still seems to be doing it. Anyone got any ideas?? :cry:

Cheers Vick

360ste 30 October 2009 08:17 PM

How long do you have till your MOT runs out? I only ask because if it is due in the next month you could get the MOT done okay it may fail but you will know what is at fault and get it sorted. I get mine done usually 28 days prior to expiry date and if it passes the MOT isdone from the expiry date of the old MOT so effectively a 13 month MOT. But if it fails you can still drive the car on the old MOT to shop for bits or take it somewhere else to be repaired. Hope this helps Steve

Splitpin 30 October 2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by miss_scooby (Post 9026349)
Hi all, hope someone can help. I have a loud rattle/knocking noise on the drivers side which travels across to the passengers side. This occurs when you are, say in 2nd gear doing 15-20mph and then put it into 3rd and accelerate gently. Thought it was my anti-roll bar bushes shot to pieces or drop links so tonite had them changed for MOT, yet still seems to be doing it. Anyone got any ideas?? :cry:

Cheers Vick

Very, very difficult to diagnose rattles and knocks via the internet. The best advice in these situations is probably that you're likely to get it fixed quicker getting your car in front of someone who knows than you will asking on here and hoping someone guesses right. Could end up spending a lot of money changing bits that aren't at fault that way too.

Have you ruled out broken heatshields on the exhaust manifolds? Is there any way of making the noise "better" or "worse" (for instance, does it change if you accelerate while turning, etc etc)?

Edited to add: Is this noise front, back, under the middle of the car? Also what type and model year is your car?

Boydey77 30 October 2009 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by miss_scooby (Post 9026349)

Cheers Vick

I have a simular thing, i initally thought it was the boot lid rattling. After looking it up alot of people have said that the rear shocks give up quite quickly, do u think they could be to blame??:confused:

steffi4 30 October 2009 09:05 PM

same thing is happening on my ra posted a thread on here asking but no joy. gonna take mine in to a garage to get checked.

zeuss 30 October 2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 360ste (Post 9026360)
How long do you have till your MOT runs out? I only ask because if it is due in the next month you could get the MOT done okay it may fail but you will know what is at fault and get it sorted. I get mine done usually 28 days prior to expiry date and if it passes the MOT isdone from the expiry date of the old MOT so effectively a 13 month MOT. But if it fails you can still drive the car on the old MOT to shop for bits or take it somewhere else to be repaired. Hope this helps Steve

sorry thought once you took your car for an MOT if it fails thats it its failed u cant drive on the old MOT as thats no longer valid

Boydey77 30 October 2009 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by steffi4 (Post 9026457)
same thing is happening on my ra posted a thread on here asking but no joy. gonna take mine in to a garage to get checked.

Let us know how you get on

360ste 30 October 2009 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by zeuss (Post 9026468)
sorry thought once you took your car for an MOT if it fails thats it its failed u cant drive on the old MOT as thats no longer valid

No mate you MOT is valid till the expiry date but as I said you can get it tested upto a month prior to expiry and if it passes you get a MOT starting the date your previous MOT expires.

zeuss 30 October 2009 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 360ste (Post 9026501)
No mate you MOT is valid till the expiry date but as I said you can get it tested upto a month prior to expiry and if it passes you get a MOT starting the date your previous MOT expires.

Yes understood that but if it fails its irrelevant what date your MOT due a fail is a fail and your car is deemed unsafe for the road from the point on - thats from the new MOT rules

360ste 30 October 2009 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by zeuss (Post 9026517)
Yes understood that but if it fails its irrelevant what date your MOT due a fail is a fail and your car is deemed unsafe for the road from the point on - thats from the new MOT rules

Got me there. Technically speaking all the MOT does is state that at the time of testing your car met the criteria to pass the mot. If a month later your brake caliper seized you could still be driving that for the rest of your MOT and only find out on the test. Even though the car has been unsafe for 11 months. This is one argument that could go on for an eternity.

Minjeeta 31 October 2009 06:10 PM

Have you checked the dash for tic-tacs?

miss_scooby 12 November 2009 07:59 PM

the rattle is in the middle and its when you cruise in 4th, 5th doing about 40, 50. the sound is right under the back of the driver and passenger seat and goes right across the car, so havent a clue, please help x

clark822 12 November 2009 08:29 PM

Heatsheild on the cat ? Rubber mount on the middle section would of said bearing on the prop but would get worse with speed ? Is it a grumble, do you get it over bumps ?