Notices

launch controll with ecutek

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2009, 04:39 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default launch controll with ecutek

hi there does anybody know if i can add launch controll to my car its a 99 uk 2000 its been mapped once using ecutek sorftware
Old 27 October 2009, 06:07 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

dont think you can with ecutek. think you might need another ecu for LC and flat shifts
Old 27 October 2009, 07:39 PM
bmfcrash
Scooby Regular

Ring Mark at Thwaites developments, I think the two of you will have an interesting conversation.
Old 27 October 2009, 08:28 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I have no idea whether EcuTek have done this yet but it's certainly possible on the 99-00 ECUs, as is switched ALS, and flat shifting (with a bit of external hardware)

To be honest though adding launch control to a TD04 equipped car is largely p*ss*ng about for the sake of it. If you need technological assistance to get a tidy launch out of an engine with a turbo that small, there's probably no hope for you. Why do you think you need it?
Old 27 October 2009, 08:53 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

could somebody explain how the ECUTEK L/C works?
Old 28 October 2009, 12:33 AM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
I have no idea whether EcuTek have done this yet but it's certainly possible on the 99-00 ECUs, as is switched ALS, and flat shifting (with a bit of external hardware)

To be honest though adding launch control to a TD04 equipped car is largely p*ss*ng about for the sake of it. If you need technological assistance to get a tidy launch out of an engine with a turbo that small, there's probably no hope for you. Why do you think you need it?
hi there im not running a td04 turbo im running a td05 forge pistons acl bearings fmic 440's walbro fuel pump and a reversed intake manifold full stainless with de-cat ecutek re-map running 330bhp/301lbft v-ltd gear box with dccd why assume im running low power just because its a uk 2000? ***

Last edited by danny-goddard; 28 October 2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 28 October 2009, 01:27 AM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmfcrash
Ring Mark at Thwaites developments, I think the two of you will have an interesting conversation.
nice one bud ive just emailed him. fingers crossed
Old 28 October 2009, 01:31 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danny-goddard
hi there im not running a td04 turbo im running a td05 forge pistons acl bearings fmic 440's walbro fuel pump and a reversed intake manifold full stainless with de-cat ecutek re-map running 330bhp/301lbft v-ltd gear box with dccd why assume im running low power just because its a uk 2000? ***

well said. bravo
Old 28 October 2009, 01:46 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You asked a question, and I tried to give you the most realistic advice possible based on what you said - in order to prevent you wasting money on something you ostensibly (on the basis of the information included in your post) you wouldn't benefit significantly from.

If your car is heavily modified, you're wasting your time and everyone else's by not saying so in your original post (we aren't psychic). If you don't include the pertinent information with your question, don't be surprised if the responses you get aren't the most accurate.

cheers mate i only asked a simple question he seems like a know it all
That's because, as far as this goes, I do know it all, as my own car has what you want on it - and the ECU code which makes it happen was written by me.

Last edited by Splitpin; 28 October 2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 28 October 2009, 01:51 AM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Splitpin;9021814]You asked a question, and I tried to give you the most realistic advice possible based on what you said - in order to prevent you wasting money on something you ostensibly (on the basis of the information included in your post) you wouldn't benefit significantly from.

If your car is heavily modified, you're wasting your time and everyone else's by not saying so in your original post (we aren't psychic). If you don't include the pertinent information with your question, don't be surprised if the responses you get aren't the most accurate. [/QUOT

you of all people should know my car is modified you have replyed to most of my threads i have put on hear. wish I ant of botherd now

Last edited by danny-goddard; 28 October 2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 28 October 2009, 01:57 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You're one of hundreds of posters on here. What makes your car more memorable than anyone else's?
Old 28 October 2009, 02:14 AM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

You asked a question, and I tried to give you the most realistic advice possible based on what you said - in order to prevent you wasting money on something you ostensibly (on the basis of the information included in your post) you wouldn't benefit significantly from.

If your car is heavily modified, you're wasting your time and everyone else's by not saying so in your original post (we aren't psychic). If you don't include the pertinent information with your question, don't be surprised if the responses you get aren't the most accurate.

That's because, as far as this goes, I do know it all, as my own car has what you want on it - and the ECU code which makes it happen was written by me.
Wow your amazing. If I keep trying one day I might be just like you
Old 28 October 2009, 08:22 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you spoken to your mapper? They would know the answer 100%.

As for launch control being that worth it - it isnt for the relatively low power you have got at the moment. It is a fun gimmick though.

More info in the original post would help.
Old 28 October 2009, 12:24 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want it in the first place?
Old 28 October 2009, 01:40 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Why would you want it in the first place?
just for fun really its just another thing to have on my car i cant stop modding lol
Old 28 October 2009, 02:36 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats wrong man - does your right foot not work properly
Old 28 October 2009, 05:38 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Whats wrong man - does your right foot not work properly
That's not very nice.
Old 28 October 2009, 06:07 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine had his 05 JDM STi EcuTek'd by Bob Rawle with L/C but when i enquired with Simon (JGM) about having this on my 05 Spec C i was told that it wasnt available maybe the ecus are different i dont know but I do know that L/C is an option on EcuTek certainly on the newages anyway not 100% on the classics but i wouldnt have thought there was a massive difference
Old 28 October 2009, 06:19 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Can do it with my software for all newages, along with flat foot shifting on the 32bit ecus.

It's a nice toy but really just that. It is not the proper launch control you get with solaris or other top ecu's.
Old 28 October 2009, 06:27 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

There is a massive difference between the 99/00 ECU and the newage. They're built on completely different processor designs so you can't simply port code written for the newage onto a classic and vice-versa. There are two or three different processors used through the newage cycle too so even there it's not seamless and may explain your experience.

The difficulty with adding functionality like this to the stock ECUs is that it requires fundamental modification to the code (i.e. the program) the ECU runs, and not simply changes to the maps (which is what a remap normally involves).

Most of this stuff on the newages has been started by people in the open sauce community chucking round ideas and bits of code, which partially explains both why the EcuTek side has been playing catchup and, without wanting to put words in Simon or Bob's mouths, why some mappers may be more comfortable with it than others.

With the 99/00 there's also a limitation in the 128K flash memory on the processor, which leaves you with very little spare to add "extras",
Old 28 October 2009, 06:46 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Why would you care if it's open source, so long as it costs half as much as an Ecutek map ?

dunx
Old 28 October 2009, 06:53 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Why would you care if it's open source, so long as it costs half as much as an Ecutek map ?

dunx
That's exactly what I was getting at Dunx, and you're right.

EcuTeK have been effectively forced to investigate this kind of functionality because the OS side has got there first, and customers, quite legitimately, would no doubt be asking mappers why they should pay extra for a TeK licence when it offers them less than they could get from the alternative set of tools that also happens to be cheaper to use and which, if done by the same mapper, will produce an end result that is every bit as good.

Back in the days when EcuTeK was the only game in town they could dictate terms. Now there's a competitive market, so they're having to offer more in order to stay in with a shout

Last edited by Splitpin; 28 October 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 28 October 2009, 07:00 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

With the 99/00 there's also a limitation in the 128K flash memory on the processor, which leaves you with very little spare to add "extras",
and a very high change/probability of bricking the ecu (even with ecutek i am led to believe although less so)
Old 28 October 2009, 07:20 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
and a very high change/probability of bricking the ecu (even with ecutek i am led to believe although less so)
Not really. The flash memory in the processor itself is rated to have a programming life of tens of thousands of cycles so anyone who finds the process unreliable is probably doing it the wrong way.

The only significant issue with the 99/00 ECU is the fact that the flash kernel is run from RAM and the underlying ROM then erased, so if you have a power failure you have a slight problem.

Other than that the JECS reflasher itself is very robust - it includes internal checks for the flash voltage levels as well as a write/verify/retry routine, and is almost totally fail safe, bar a complete power failure as mentioned above.

Back when I first started experimenting with 'em I'd heard all the rumours about unreliability so bought half a dozen dirt cheap on eBay, figuring they could be disposable if necessary.

I bricked one thanks to learning how to erase before I'd got the reprogramming bit quite right, but a little further down the track even managed to recover that one. I've since flashed thousands of times and haven't yet seen another failure.

Last edited by Splitpin; 28 October 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 28 October 2009, 08:38 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

The ECUTek guys, I beleive, have access to LC for the JDM newage cars, as they use a modified version of a GroupN ROM.

Last edited by bluenose172; 28 October 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 28 October 2009, 11:38 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

That's not very nice.
il stand up and apologise for my coments last night splitpin lets just say yesterday was a bad day thanks for your help on this one
Old 28 October 2009, 11:41 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Thwaites developments got back to me today saying its not a problem thanks for your help mate

Last edited by danny-goddard; 28 October 2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 28 October 2009, 11:59 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

il stand up and apologise for my coments last night splitpin lets just say yesterday was a bad day thanks for your help on this one
No sweat, we all have 'em, no damage done. Just remember for next time, if there's something we need to know to answer a question, much better to put it in the post than to assume everyone will remember that thread the week before last.
Old 29 October 2009, 01:50 PM
bmfcrash
Scooby Regular

Thwaites developments got back to me today saying its not a problem thanks for your help mate

My pleasure mate, glad they could help.

Martin.