Notices

how to remove a dump valve ?>

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2009, 11:03 PM
mossi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how to remove a dump valve ?>

ok dont shoot me down in flames, ive just picked up my 1999 impreza turbo, has nice ss exhaust, and dump valve, im not to sure im up for the dump valve, the constant whooshing when changing gears a tad annoying lol.. is there a easy way to simply remove it from the system, or do i need to replace the dump valve with something else ?
thanks
Old 11 October 2009, 11:10 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Nobody round here will flame you for not liking the aftermarket DV. Your engine won't like it either, car will run smoother and probably faster with the OE one refitted.

Removing it is simple - a couple of bolts and a couple of pipes and it'll be off. You will have to replace it though. Best thing for that is one of the standard factory fit valves. If you didn't get the original one with the car, you should be able to pick one up for not very much either in the usual places. You'll need to find out whether the original recirculation pipe is still on the engine.

If it is, simple to remove the bung that's presumably in it and reconnect it to a standard valve. If not, you'll need one of those too. Search is your friend as plenty written on this subject.
Old 11 October 2009, 11:16 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Sounds like you have a open to atmosphere dump valve, you could change it for a recirculating one. You do need a dump valve fitted, as it prevents damage to the turbo when the throttle is initially closed and you get a build up of pressure.
Old 12 October 2009, 12:44 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Nobody round here will flame you for not liking the aftermarket DV. Your engine won't like it either, car will run smoother and probably faster with the OE one refitted.

Removing it is simple - a couple of bolts and a couple of pipes and it'll be off. You will have to replace it though. Best thing for that is one of the standard factory fit valves. If you didn't get the original one with the car, you should be able to pick one up for not very much either in the usual places. You'll need to find out whether the original recirculation pipe is still on the engine.

If it is, simple to remove the bung that's presumably in it and reconnect it to a standard valve. If not, you'll need one of those too. Search is your friend as plenty written on this subject.
and no doing this will not give you more power, dump valves/ oem recirculating valves dont make bhp, but may provide smoother power delivery but wont add bhp. i have had no bad experiences with dump valves on my car i first had a baileys bov on my 07 wrx then changed to the louder hks ssqv and still no problems idles like it did before and reacts when needed to with no problems.
Old 12 October 2009, 01:57 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uk300scoob
and no doing this will not give you more power,
I didn't actually say it would, did I? I said it'd probably make it run faster - and if it smooths out on/off/on throttle transitions, it will.
Old 12 October 2009, 02:09 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

a dump valve or a recirculating valve doesnt make it run faster. it would make it smoother maybe through gear changes but wont make the car go faster
Old 12 October 2009, 03:04 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uk300scoob
a dump valve or a recirculating valve doesnt make it run faster. it would make it smoother maybe through gear changes but wont make the car go faster
You will find more than a few threads round here that indicate otherwise. Making it smoother through gear changes and throttle transitions will make the car a tad quicker and more responsive. More power on a dyno, no. More "go" through the wheels more of the time, yes, more than possible.

Trending Topics

Old 12 October 2009, 05:00 PM
stinger_sweaty
Scooby Regular

i have a hks ssqv bov on mine, the other week i put the plastic oem re-circ one back on and i found my car to be less resposive with it fitted, i put the hks one back on, and my car was more responsive with it fitted car is a sti v3.
Old 12 October 2009, 07:06 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stinger_sweaty
i have a hks ssqv bov on mine, the other week i put the plastic oem re-circ one back on and i found my car to be less resposive with it fitted, i put the hks one back on, and my car was more responsive with it fitted car is a sti v3.
sounds about right i had the same experience with my wrx