Notices

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2009, 06:10 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveling today and my CEL came on. My first thought was oil but checked that and it was spot on the mark. I had a new exhaust fitted yesterday and there was a problem with fitting the up-pipe. The pipe supplied didnt fit correctly and there for it has a slight gap one end. Its only like this for a couple of day as i needed the car this weekend.

So,would a gap in the exhaust make the CEL come on?

By the way,when i switched the engine of and back on again the CEL would go off for a while.

Any help greatly appreciated
Old 10 October 2009, 07:43 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx287
Traveling today and my CEL came on. My first thought was oil but checked that and it was spot on the mark.
For future reference, there's no way that "oil" can directly cause a CEL. The only thing the car knows about "oil" is the pressure switch (and dash light).

I had a new exhaust fitted yesterday and there was a problem with fitting the up-pipe. The pipe supplied didnt fit correctly and there for it has a slight gap one end. Its only like this for a couple of day as i needed the car this weekend.
That doesn't sound like a good thing at all. Wanting the car over the weekend is all fine and dandy, but driving a car you know to be defective isn't the best idea. Define "slight" in millimetres, and tell us where exactly the gap is. The thought of hot exhaust gas p*ssing out of a "gap" onto something else isn't a pleasant one either.

So,would a gap in the exhaust make the CEL come on?
Quite probably, there are a variety of different methods by which an effective hole in the exhaust might cause it If this is pre-turbo it won't do the running efficiency of your engine any good either.

Connect the black plugs and see what the error code is, if you haven't done so already. Then tell us more about this "gap". Probably a good idea not to drive it until you've localised the problem too.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:23 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Its a 5mm gap between the up-pipe and the turbo. only on one side as the up-pipe was slightly bent somehow

I went for a quick drive (about 5 miles) earlier and no CEL

What 2 black plugs are they? I have a 1997 wrx Import by the way

The car drives fine. Wondering if its the Lambda sensor or the O2 sensor picking up too much air.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:27 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

The black test plugs under the steering column/footwell. There will be 2 green and 2 black. It will give you a fault code on the cel then, long flash is ten, short is 1.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:31 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V5RVLTD
The black test plugs under the steering column/footwell. There will be 2 green and 2 black. It will give you a fault code on the cel then, long flash is ten, short is 1.
Thanks for that. I will check in the morning
Old 10 October 2009, 09:58 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Its a 5mm gap between the up-pipe and the turbo. only on one side as the up-pipe was slightly bent somehow
Fvk mi. And you drove it away like that? The sensible option would either have been to put the old up-pipe back on or just leave the car in the garage. If the gap is as big as you claim, driving it is more than a bit silly.

I went for a quick drive (about 5 miles) earlier and no CEL
The car drives fine. Wondering if its the Lambda sensor or the O2 sensor picking up too much air.
If you really do have a 5mm gap on one side or other of the up-pipe to turbo flange seal, your car is not "driving fine". I'm surprised you can get it to spool at all, but whatever, you will find that hot exhaust gas will blow out of the hole, and will be heating whatever is exposed to it. The black plugs will tell you what set the CEL off. Don't suppose you've smelt anything burning?
Old 11 October 2009, 12:20 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
If you really do have a 5mm gap on one side or other of the up-pipe to turbo flange seal, your car is not "driving fine". I'm surprised you can get it to spool at all, but whatever, you will find that hot exhaust gas will blow out of the hole, and will be heating whatever is exposed to it. The black plugs will tell you what set the CEL off. Don't suppose you've smelt anything burning?
No smell of burning and the Turbo spools up at the same rate it did before.

I need the car for work so unfortunately im not in the position to just leave the car anywhere.

Do i have the engine running when i conect the plugs together?

Trending Topics

Old 11 October 2009, 12:31 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Do i have the engine running when i conect the plugs together?
Problem solved. Found the link on SIDC to Scoobypedia.