Notices

Engines??? ej20 = ej20 right!!???

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2009, 12:01 AM
Andyh4983
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines??? ej20 = ej20 right!!???

Basically im getting conflicting answers to my question -
whether a pre-2000 reg engine (say between 1995 - 1998) will fit into my 2000 plate classic scooby??? Theyre both ej20 engines right, so i cannot see the problem myself??

HELP PLZ!!!!!!......
Old 26 September 2009, 12:04 AM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

yes they are all ej20 engines but the heads can vairy you can use the ej20 engine but make sure the heads match up due to intakes fit some but not others
Old 26 September 2009, 12:13 AM
Andyh4983
Scooby Newbie

So is there certain years that do and dont?? or can all ej20 engines fit if theyre altered a little???
oh and does it also make a difference that my scooby is currently a 2.0 sport which i will be dropping in a turbo'd engine into???he he

Thanks for the speedy reply by the way!
Old 26 September 2009, 12:38 AM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

dropping a turbo engine into an N/A engine is different for a start the piston compression ratios are different so if your going to drop the engine in leave the heads as they are but then your need the inlet manifold and all other engine accessories to siut including the wiring loom ecus ect the gearbox wont take the extra power nor will the diff, the whole lot would need changing and with the expence of it all you would be better off either selling the N/A scooby and buying a cheap wrx it will save you in the short and long term especially with insurance on a modified N/A to be a turbo N/A
Old 26 September 2009, 12:50 AM
Andyh4983
Scooby Newbie

Yes i have been told that by someone already!ha
Only thing is as iv spent money already making it look like a wkd turbo, do i now sell it and buy a turbo and start from scratch - or - do as i have planned and swap engines????

I have been quoted by japcarbreakers to supply and fit the engine, gearbox, clutch and brakes £2500, also have a friend nicknamed "subaruman" no less who will take it on for me....

jeeeez!! i really dont know!!!haha

Thanks for all the info mate, puttin pixs on tomorrow!
Old 26 September 2009, 01:02 AM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

if i was you id sell and look for a fooked engined sti. thats what i did with my toy and got hold of a ej22 engine put that in and i picked it up yesterday from the garage drove it home didnt give it too much but a little but it impressed me. my wifes uk turbo has been on the rollers showing 304 bhp and mine felt almost as quick as hers but mine buying the car engine and fitting has only cost me £1900 and ive a genuine V2 wrx sti so my advice is get shot find a bargin there out there mate
Old 26 September 2009, 01:18 AM
Andyh4983
Scooby Newbie

Sorry did i read that right... 1900quid!!!!! how much did you pay for the car itself, and the engine etc if you dont mind me asking???

1900quid yno!!!!!ha ha - i cant get over that!!!lol

any pics????
Old 26 September 2009, 01:53 AM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

£600 for the car (i originaly got it for a replacement gear box for my wifes uk wagon but fell in love with it on the way home)
£650 for the ej22 from ebay but had to travel to get it
£650 to get a local garage to install it and mot the car
bargin that even though cost im now running an ej22 and now doing a fmic and 550cc injectors and getting JGM to install a simtek ecu and map it so ill be seeing 350 bhp with any luck the whole package to 350 bhp should only cost me £1900 for car and engine up and running £350 for new injectors and £895 for JDM to supplly fit and map to a hopefull 350 bhp impreza for £3145 aint bad or i could stay with a 280 bhp sti for £1900 but maybe a lean running 1 for that i think thats great value
Old 26 September 2009, 01:58 AM
Andyh4983
Scooby Newbie

yes mate indeed it sounds great! (youve certainly made me think i can assure you!ha)

its just all the hassle of selling the car etc...

anyway im off to bed!lol

speak soon my friend
Old 26 September 2009, 02:03 AM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

ebay thats all i can say everyone can sell something on ebay lets face it u get 1k for the sport as it is with the 2k odd you was thinking of spending on the conversion thats 3k and mine only just going over that
Old 26 September 2009, 02:14 AM
Andyh4983
Scooby Newbie

i really couldnt bring myself to sell it for a grand im thinking my friend!! it looks better than the majority of turbos on ebay up to about 3grand, plus its been remapped, 500quid exhaust etc etc...

so no i couldnt do it!!ha ha

Do me a favour if you will be so kind plz mate...

have a look tomorrow after iv put up the pix and tell me if you still only think 1k yes??
obviuosly evry1 else is in bed at this time so i cant have a "second opinion!!!"LoL
Old 26 September 2009, 02:19 AM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

i was saying a grand as an example on the least your get.
no offence intended whatever you can get then thats an extra bonus towards a new toy
Old 26 September 2009, 11:18 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

On the first question, yes any ej20 will go in, if you have enough money.

Then there is the question of the transmission, suspension and brakes need upgrading to make the car remotely reliable and safe (drum brakes!). Again possible if you have enough money.

Then there is the insurance question, a modified N/A car to turbo is going to cost more than an unmodified turbo to insure (particularly over a UK car)

Then there is the resale value question. Who is going to pay you WRX money for a modified N/A car?

Financially it don't make sense. It's going to cost you at least £2500 to end up with a copy, a LOT MORE if it is a good copy! There are loads of MY97 uk turbos out there at the £2k mark. Sell yours for £1k, buy one of those for £2k and save the other £1500 of your budget to get it how you want it, and you will have a genuine car that you will be able to sell on when the time comes......

Old 26 September 2009, 11:18 PM
Andyh4983
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again for all the replys, after careful consideration i am going to be selling my 2.0 sport and upgrading!!

So here goes....

(p.s. anyone want a great lookin impreza sport????lol
Old 26 September 2009, 11:31 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyh4983
Thanks again for all the replys, after careful consideration i am going to be selling my 2.0 sport and upgrading!!
Thank god for that!!

Converting a sport to a turbo just makes no sense whatsoever!!
Old 27 September 2009, 03:07 AM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

i think and probs so do so many others that selling up and going for a real turbo is your best option by far.
keep us informed how you get on mate
Old 28 November 2009, 12:28 PM
mikeyb86
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookie sti
dropping a turbo engine into an N/A engine is different for a start the piston compression ratios are different so if your going to drop the engine in leave the heads as they are but then your need the inlet manifold and all other engine accessories to siut including the wiring loom ecus ect the gearbox wont take the extra power nor will the diff, the whole lot would need changing and with the expence of it all you would be better off either selling the N/A scooby and buying a cheap wrx it will save you in the short and long term especially with insurance on a modified N/A to be a turbo N/A

would this not work then
Well you need the Turbo manifold w/ the turbo for a 2.0 Impreza Sport, could try giving Summit Racing a call for that one, then youd need the downpipe off that an you could just weld it or flange it into your stock exhaust, id recommend going to an aftermarkets exhaust like 2.5" for a nice deep sound an more smooth powerband throughout the RPM range, not to mention a faster spool up time for the turbo, dont do a 3" exhaust so you dont get mistaked as a honda civic going down the road. highly recommend installing a boost gauge an a Wideband Air/fuel Ratio sensor, and if I were you since its a non turbo motor an doesnt have Eagle/Forged rods, I would put an External waste gate on the manifold with a Boost Pressure Regulater set at 5psi, an make sure the Wastegate spring is less than 5psi (should disclose how much pressure it takes for the spring to move on the box the Wastegate comes in) or else it wont open an youll end up with a rod through the block. From the factory the engine is able to handle 7psi max I wouldnt even try to push it that high until you forge the rods/pistons and a billet crankshaft. Or actually you dont have to go as far as that, say you wanna run around 10-13psi, you have to pull the heads off the motor, you can take them or ship them to a Cometic Gasket company an they can make like 1/4" Head Gasket spacers to Lower the Compression Ratio. As for an intercooler I dont recommend how they have it set up on the WRX or STI, I would do a front mount (behind the front bumper of the car). I dont like they way they have it set up on the WRX or STI as its on top of the motor an it gets pretty hot underneath there even though it has a hood scoop heat will always rise up into the cooler. Then for the turbo you have to take the oil pan off the vehicle, drill a hole an run a tap through it an you need a fitting that will thread into the hole with a long male end that can recieve a hose from the turbo for the turbo oil return line, then you have to locate where the Oil Pressure Sending Unit on the block is an take it out get a T-Fitting that has the male end at the end of the T that threads into the block and make sure the to Top end of the T are Female so you can thread in the Oil Pressure Sending Unit on one side and the Oil Feed Line to the Turbo on the other. As for the cooler lines you can cut both of the main thick hoses in half (be sure you have catch cans cuz its gonna get messy) an they make plastic inserts that each side of the hose goes on with a male end sticking out of it. Now for cooler performance from the turbo you want the top hose that you cut with the insert in it run that line to the turbo inlet coolant side an the Hose lowest on the Radiator run that to the turbo Outlet side, that way the coolant is still cycling through the radiator an is not bypassing it. As for boost tubes I dont know if they make a prebent kit for this car, might have to bend your own an cut them id recommond 2.5" MAX intake piping in the Charge side of the turbo. If it doesnt have a prebent kit be prepared to write down alot of dimensions of where you want to run the pipes an take it to a pipe bending shop an they can bend the pipes to your dimensions you have written. That I know of they dont make kits for this car but I could be wrong, I would deff recommend doing it yourself, it might take a long time but in the long run you will save ALOT of money an itll be totally worth it. An to relate to the guy who said itll have driveablity/reliablilty problems, it would have no driving or running problems at all (unless you put something on wrong), I turbo'd a 2.5rs that was non turbo an still runs just fine ive had it for 2 years turbo now. Its all about how car smart you are in with what your doing an know what your doing. Never broke down once just change the syn. oil every 3k miles, and also im not sure where that guy is shoppin if he thinks it costs 10G's to turbo a 2.0 impreza lol. I did my 2.5rs for $900 (thats about what theyd charge for a totalled/junk impreza in the yard, not including the rest of the parts you still have to buy) and its a 2002. Somethin like this could run from as low as 700 pound or to have someone else do it could run 4000 pound an most of it is all labor. Should help you get a general idea.
Source(s):
I do stuff like this all the time.
Old 28 November 2009, 05:29 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

LOL, and I started reading that untill I scrolled past the first two lines.
Old 29 November 2009, 11:20 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

FPMSL

Even if you can do it as you say for £700 WHY??????? What about the suspension and the APPALLING brakes??????

Sell the sport for a grand and use the extra £700 to buy a UK turbo, around MY97 should do it......

Reckon my wagon is worth £1500 tops, even with the Prodrive kit on it, and will eat a car modified the way you describe, and cost a fraction to insure.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 29 November 2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 29 November 2009, 03:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mikeyb86
would this not work then
Well you need the Turbo manifold w/ the turbo for a 2.0 Impreza Sport, could try giving Summit Racing a call for that one, then youd need the downpipe off that an you could just weld it or flange it into your stock exhaust, id recommend going to an aftermarkets exhaust like 2.5" for a nice deep sound an more smooth powerband throughout the RPM range, not to mention a faster spool up time for the turbo, dont do a 3" exhaust so you dont get mistaked as a honda civic going down the road. highly recommend installing a boost gauge an a Wideband Air/fuel Ratio sensor, and if I were you since its a non turbo motor an doesnt have Eagle/Forged rods, I would put an External waste gate on the manifold with a Boost Pressure Regulater set at 5psi, an make sure the Wastegate spring is less than 5psi (should disclose how much pressure it takes for the spring to move on the box the Wastegate comes in) or else it wont open an youll end up with a rod through the block. From the factory the engine is able to handle 7psi max I wouldnt even try to push it that high until you forge the rods/pistons and a billet crankshaft. Or actually you dont have to go as far as that, say you wanna run around 10-13psi, you have to pull the heads off the motor, you can take them or ship them to a Cometic Gasket company an they can make like 1/4" Head Gasket spacers to Lower the Compression Ratio. As for an intercooler I dont recommend how they have it set up on the WRX or STI, I would do a front mount (behind the front bumper of the car). I dont like they way they have it set up on the WRX or STI as its on top of the motor an it gets pretty hot underneath there even though it has a hood scoop heat will always rise up into the cooler. Then for the turbo you have to take the oil pan off the vehicle, drill a hole an run a tap through it an you need a fitting that will thread into the hole with a long male end that can recieve a hose from the turbo for the turbo oil return line, then you have to locate where the Oil Pressure Sending Unit on the block is an take it out get a T-Fitting that has the male end at the end of the T that threads into the block and make sure the to Top end of the T are Female so you can thread in the Oil Pressure Sending Unit on one side and the Oil Feed Line to the Turbo on the other. As for the cooler lines you can cut both of the main thick hoses in half (be sure you have catch cans cuz its gonna get messy) an they make plastic inserts that each side of the hose goes on with a male end sticking out of it. Now for cooler performance from the turbo you want the top hose that you cut with the insert in it run that line to the turbo inlet coolant side an the Hose lowest on the Radiator run that to the turbo Outlet side, that way the coolant is still cycling through the radiator an is not bypassing it. As for boost tubes I dont know if they make a prebent kit for this car, might have to bend your own an cut them id recommond 2.5" MAX intake piping in the Charge side of the turbo. If it doesnt have a prebent kit be prepared to write down alot of dimensions of where you want to run the pipes an take it to a pipe bending shop an they can bend the pipes to your dimensions you have written. That I know of they dont make kits for this car but I could be wrong, I would deff recommend doing it yourself, it might take a long time but in the long run you will save ALOT of money an itll be totally worth it. An to relate to the guy who said itll have driveablity/reliablilty problems, it would have no driving or running problems at all (unless you put something on wrong), I turbo'd a 2.5rs that was non turbo an still runs just fine ive had it for 2 years turbo now. Its all about how car smart you are in with what your doing an know what your doing. Never broke down once just change the syn. oil every 3k miles, and also im not sure where that guy is shoppin if he thinks it costs 10G's to turbo a 2.0 impreza lol. I did my 2.5rs for $900 (thats about what theyd charge for a totalled/junk impreza in the yard, not including the rest of the parts you still have to buy) and its a 2002. Somethin like this could run from as low as 700 pound or to have someone else do it could run 4000 pound an most of it is all labor. Should help you get a general idea.
Source(s):
If you had a couple of egg cartons and some washing up liquid bottles you could do something better
But no, its more that just what you put there, the entire car isnt up to running a turbocharged engine, let alone the engine, its weak as anything compared to the turbo engine, and thats not exactly amazing plus I dont know where you get the 700 quid from, a 2nd hand gearbox will set you back 600, the rear diff will need changing (fixes 2 problems at once, your gearbox and the drum brakes that sports have), so its a labour intensive job and not worth doing at all (plus what history do you have on your used parts? a 40k engine which really has done 140k?).

It may seem a good idea but its not.

Tony
Old 29 November 2009, 03:22 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

What about Nitrous instead, depending on your intentions with the car?
Old 29 November 2009, 06:42 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

I've had a good idea. I live in a semi but I want a detached so I think I'll buy next door, knock it down and then I'll have a detached

Old 30 November 2009, 10:12 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
I've had a good idea. I live in a semi but I want a detached so I think I'll buy next door, knock it down and then I'll have a detached

LMAO

What about having a 4 door and wanting a cab coupe?

Cut the roof off and seal up the doors?
Old 01 December 2009, 05:13 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

LOL

What about having a 4 door and wanting a cab coupe?

Cut the roof off and seal up the doors?
That's a good idea

Wouldn't the Scoob have better weight distribution if it were mid engined as well????

And rear wheel drive to cut down on the transmission losses???

Pop up head lights would be good too??

Could this be done and anyone got any how toos????

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 01 December 2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01 December 2009, 08:34 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikeyb86
would this not work then
No, not at all, any fool can see that your carriage return valve and line feed solenoid are f**ked. Surprised the thing even starts.

Let's not delve too far into your "1/4" head gasket spacers" either.

Gosh.