Notices

head/rocker gasket procedure - what do I need

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2009, 09:54 AM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head/rocker gasket procedure - what do I need

I am going to be changing the rocker cover gaskets and possibly Head gaskets also on my Legacy - and water pump, thermostat and power steering pump. Oh and radiator if I can get one out to me in France... I need to do all this before I return to the UK with a caravan in-tow in mid october

Apart from the gaskets - what will I need to do this job properly?

• Do i need some kind of sealant for the gaskets and if so which type? (can you tell I've not done this before? lol).

• Also do I need to get any bolts or is it OK to use the old ones?

• And finally, I'm going to replace the timing belt too - should I also replace the other belts or is it OK to re-use the current ones?

Many thanks for any tips!
Old 12 September 2009, 10:24 AM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

I used "wellseal" as sealant for the head gaskets, about £7 on ebay

Why are you doing head gaskets? big job! The first time I had my engine out I bought new bolts (OE) but the second time, it had only done less than 1k on the new bolts so I re-used them.

You might need inlet manifold gaskets and possible exhaust gaskets too.

When you have the timing belt off, make sure that all the pulleys/idlers spin and move smoothly and freely. If they dont it might be worth buying the complete kit and replacing it all.

Other belts will be fine if they aren't perished or cracked on the inside of the belt.

One other thing to think about while engine is out is the clutch!!

Tucker
Old 12 September 2009, 10:37 AM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

cheers mate. I'm doing the head gaskets because I suspect they have failed, though I will change the water pump and thermostat first and if that cures the problem I won't do the HG.

It sounds like I will need to get bolts as well then as the HG hasn't been done and it's nearly at 150k miles. I will be doing the rocker gaskets anyhow.

The pulleys and idlers should be fine as they were changed along with the belt not long ago.

Sounds like maybe I should get a complete gasket set?!?

thanks
Old 12 September 2009, 11:19 AM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Alot of a gasket set is useful and some parts you might not want to replace. I used most of mine, but I had my engine out for 3 months and spent ages doing it.

What makes you suspect HG failure?

Only pull the enigne out and heads off if you are 100% certain that is the cause of a problem.

Have you done a compression/sniffer test?
Old 12 September 2009, 02:31 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Reason for suspect is coolant boils over into plastic tank and needs topping up about 250-500ml after a 20 min drive. Coolant pipes get very hard even just idling up to temp, though admitedly I've not felt the pipes before so don't know if they're any harder than normal. temp gauge doesn't show excessive heat though - maybe up 1-2mm more than normal which is not high at all.

Can't see any oil in the water or vice-versa - nor see any vapour out the exhaust. It's definitely going somewhere and boiling up but not sure where - there's a good chance it could be the radiator so I will swap that first and the water pump and themrostat.

Only if after all that fails I will do the HGs, but I need to do the rocker cover gaskets too anyway.

Last edited by arumdevil; 12 September 2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12 September 2009, 06:21 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

My bet would be rad if youe losing water. Check to see if the rad is hot allover next time its warm. The rads with plastic tanks do tend to split and lose coolant. It might not be very obvious either.

Make sure you fill the coolant through the turbo pipe with the small hose at the top of the rad on the left disconnected. That will eliminate airlocks too.
Old 12 September 2009, 10:12 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tucker82
My bet would be rad if youe losing water. Check to see if the rad is hot allover next time its warm. The rads with plastic tanks do tend to split and lose coolant. It might not be very obvious either.

Make sure you fill the coolant through the turbo pipe with the small hose at the top of the rad on the left disconnected. That will eliminate airlocks too.
yeah it could well be the rad - it seems to be getting pretty hot. I had a front end knock back in feb, the aircon rad got bent in quite a lot but the water rad seemed ok - could be it was damaged but only a hairline crack or so which has gotten worse since. I'm not sure where to fill the coolant as there are two turbos!
Old 12 September 2009, 11:09 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Forgot it was a legacy!

Shouldn't matter Where as long as its the highest point you can fill it from!

Be interested to know if it was the rad...
Old 12 September 2009, 11:27 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

ok, but isn't the header tank higher than the turbo?

Anyway I will keep an update here as things progress...
Old 13 September 2009, 06:59 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

It will be the same height. The idea behind filling it through the hose to the turbo, is that you will have the hose in the air from the header tank end, filling through a funnel, so would be higher than both. This forces any air trapped in the system through the rad, and out of the next highest point at the top of the rad. Replace hoses, and top up header tank. Works everytime
Old 13 September 2009, 09:06 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

sweet, ok will definitely do that once the rad's swapped.