TURBO DIES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2009, 10:06 PM
type r k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBO DIES!!!

Hi boughgt tdo5 20g turbo off ebay done less than 200 miles
was in 2nd gear gave it the boot !!! one wild bang and then there was no boost funny noises off turbo now is it just the fact its a cheap ebay item the make is emusa think its american?? any advise cheers
Old 11 September 2009, 10:46 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You haven't given us anywhere near enough info to enable us to do more than make very rough guesses.

As a general point, the turbos you find on eBay at prices that are too good to be true probably are exactly that - too good to be true. However, there are any number of causes for the symptoms you're reporting, from blown intake pipework (or pipe blown off the turbo compressor outlet). So, are you certain that "funny noises" you're now hearing are coming directly from the turbo?

Secondly, if the turbo has blown, has your car been properly mapped for it? If not, and you've stuck it in on an inappropriate map, that in itself could have caused a failure?

Third point is that if your turbo has gone pop, you really need to get it diagnosed properly prior to starting the engine back up. If the compressor wheel has disintegrated, there will be bits of metal loose inside the intercooler, and possibly further.

Have a peek round the induction pipework and make sure there's nothing split or off. If you can't find anything, Best advice to give you is to get your car looked at by someone who knows their stuff. That's the only way to find out what's wrong - we can't tell you.
Old 12 September 2009, 09:56 AM
type r k
Scooby Regular

well i got the turbo this morn shaft is bent !!! and impellar is in bits
the car was goin to be getting mapped on 25th i decided to take it a quick spin which was not a good idea problem bein i live that far north we dont have many tuners so i have carried out the work myself and i am pretty new till subarus thanks for all your advice its a big help
Old 12 September 2009, 08:57 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Well, I would say the Turbo was suspect to start with , Either that or it pulled/sucked something in when you booted it...

An un-mapped car with a healthy Turbo would not really blow the Turbo, More likely the other way round & blow the Engine...

Bad news on the Impellor in Bits as those bits are now in the engine .....

Dean
Old 13 September 2009, 05:12 PM
type r k
Scooby Regular

yea stripped car today intercooler full of alu bits so dear say engine is ****ed wont know until i strip it down possbly break car if to much damage have spent 2 much time and cash on this project already
Old 13 September 2009, 05:19 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

unlucky mate. that's why i wouldn't buy any major mechanical off fleabay. what sort of price did you pay for it? was it anywhere near the RRP for a 20G?
Old 13 September 2009, 05:38 PM
type r k
Scooby Regular

yea my thoughts also now eh was about £400 delivered half the normal price i have been told hence how i have a ****ed engine now gutted !!!
awd subaru specalist did warn me the cheap turbos off ebay were prone for going bang just mu luck
Old 30 September 2009, 09:59 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

This happened to ny vf23. Stripped the engine and was perfect inside! a few hundred on gaskets and back to where I was! may be worth taking off the inlet to check the valve seats then using a bore scope through the spark plug holes to check the bores. Wish I'd done that before stripping mine now!
Old 01 October 2009, 01:50 PM
type r k
Scooby Regular

spoke to AWD MOTORSPORT in pearth who has been a big help andy and grant done compression check all seems to be well so clean all intercooler pipes etc get a new turbo have been told vf34 is better turbo for the 2.5 if your not looking for big power