Notices

New car, needs a lot of work, help!

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2009, 11:00 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New car, needs a lot of work, help!

Hi,
Just got my first wagon, 1998 non-turbo. Need some serious help as came with no manuals, no SH or anything! I've got hold of a workshop manual but need some questions answered!

- How do I know what model I have?
- How do I decode the VIN number?
- How do I know where it was built?
- Will it have a cat? I expected it to but the workshop manual has made me doubt myself.
- Which spark plugs are best? The manual recommends a BKR6E or BKR6E-11, depending on whether it has a cat. What is the difference in plug and which do I go for?

As a first service (probably in 5 years!) it's had a thorough clean inside and out, new air filter, cleaned plugs, a bottle of Redex injector cleaner. Next week will change oil and filter and fuel filter. I think the fluid may be low in the gearbox, how can I check and refill it? Can I do simple maintenance on the clutch?

Any suggestions for easy and effective tune-ups?

Thanks!
Old 07 September 2009, 11:50 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

There is a gearbox dip stick that's on the driver's side in the engine bay underneath the TMIC to the right of the turbo.....you should be able to see a ring and bent shaft. Abit awkward to get in and out but more awkward to top up . You can top it up through the dip stick tube but just a little at a time as you have to let the air out of the box. Here's a few link's you might find useful ;

Which Car is a WRX STi
https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...w-updated.html
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Scoobypedia / Scoobypedia
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/loan...20090907225052

(last ones a joke...................sort of )

Last edited by GMballistic; 07 September 2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08 September 2009, 09:03 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice mate and those websites are class. Except the last one! Is this dipstick also available on the non-turbo? Do I need to buy a tube of some sort then, and a funnel and is there an alternative way to do it? Could there be further problems if I have to do it underneath the car- Seals/plugs etc? How do I pour it in upside down?!
Old 08 September 2009, 10:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to change the belts as they are a 3 year change, could be expensive if they break on you plus your car will have a cat, all cars since 1992 have cats as standard in the UK.

Tony
Old 09 September 2009, 02:47 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

My car's a turbo Slystav so I'm not too sure on the non-turbo model's but I would of thought the gearbox dipstick to be in the same location. This isn't a very good picture but it's the only one I could find with the dipstick location in shot. If you look from top left to right.....from the yellow cap, then the black "turbo snorkel" and you can just see the gearbox dipstick ring next to it just under the black TMIC.
Subaru engine bay image by neilgabbitas on Photobucket

You could make a filler tube using an old magazine front cover or something similar with some tape. Then slowly pour it down the "dipstick's" tube....but in really really small amount's (from inside the engine bay/not underneath ). Tony's advise on the belt's is well worth bearing in mind! Re-build engine very expensive my friend
Old 15 September 2009, 01:07 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

I've looked repeatedly for the gearbox dipstick and just can't see it. The closest thing I can see is a red rubber bung with wires coming out which as far as I know looks like it's going into the gearbox at about the right place. But then I don't know the difference between the gearbox and the clutch. How can I tell the difference and does the clutch need fluid too? How do I check and fill both?

Sorry I have no clue - but I am learning!