Notices

fast air noise

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2009, 05:47 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast air noise

hi all i was going a bit fast on m42 around birmingham today (about 95 mph-oops! )when all of a sudden we heard a loudish sort of fast flowing air noise as if one of us opened a window,never had this happen so was worried and eased off throttle,its an my 02 sti running around 330 bhp at 1.5 bar. any one had this happen to them or have an idea wot it was,the windows dont fully shut on imprezas and just sit on the rubber as with them all and was from the nearside i think-it happened quite quick,trying to think what else it would have been ?
Old 06 September 2009, 08:10 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

i had a similar problem a few weeks ago so dont know if this is any good mine is a 05 wrx and have had the car for 18 months no complaints then all of a sudden out of the blue one day driving on the m42 towards bromsgrove at 70 mph there is this noise.. checked the window sounded just like something was jammed in the windwo seal and the glass wasnt seated properley and made a funny noice only happened at speed say 50 upwards took me weeks of playing until one day i had to foled the doors mirrors in due to tight parking spot and there behind the hinge on the drivers mirror was a tiny factory fitted part number sticker that has come slih ghtly unstuck so when the air got to a certain speed it made a whooshing noise ..... removed the sticker and hey its quiet have been upto around 140 on an old airfield runway up north and no problems,,hope it solves your problem
Old 06 September 2009, 10:15 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

as it happens i have one of those stickers on the drivers-o/s and not on the n/s wich is where the noise come from,it was quite loud tho mate as if i had dropped window down say half inch and wind was coming in for a second,also was like the sound of boost on a turbo coming in but loud. the car runs the same and is still pulling well, weird tho as all three of us heard it?
Old 07 September 2009, 11:04 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

have looked into this a bit more and found that it may have been that because the n/s fog light cover is off due to repair and that i reached 95 mph it could have forced the n/s front wheeliner away and caused the noise of air gushing through something.thats my guess anyhow,lol.