Notices

MY99 Fault code Question

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2009, 08:38 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 Fault code Question

Car drives Ok a bit heavy on the juice engine check light goes out on starting but after doing a ecu reset it spat the code 32 out Lambda probe fault i have since checked twice and the 32 code still exists but my engine check light does not illuminate when driving

Does this warrant changing the Lambda
Old 03 September 2009, 10:15 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Not quite clear what you've done here, but it sounds like the ECU is reporting an old rather than current error. You say that when you did a "reset" you got code 32 back. That doesn't quite make sense because ECU reset procedure, done properly, doesn't spit out any fault codes - it clears them.

If you got an error code, you didn't reset the ECU, you put it into read memory mode (i.e. connected the black plugs). If this is the case then you won't have cleared the old error, and this would explain why you continue to see it every time you check without having seen the CEL light up in the meantime.

To reset the ECU you need to connect the black and green plugs, turn on the ignition and drive the car gently until you see the check engine light flashing.

If you do that, and then do the black plugs on their own immediately afterwards, you should see no errors. If you then find the lambda one coming back, it's probably time to replace.

TBH if might be worth replacing anyway, if you're convinced the car is thirstier than it should be. Lambda sensors (like mass airflow sensors) can become very inaccurate in use without lighting up the CEL
Old 03 September 2009, 10:31 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Not quite clear what you've done here, but it sounds like the ECU is reporting an old rather than current error. You say that when you did a "reset" you got code 32 back. That doesn't quite make sense because ECU reset procedure, done properly, doesn't spit out any fault codes - it clears them.

If you got an error code, you didn't reset the ECU, you put it into read memory mode (i.e. connected the black plugs). If this is the case then you won't have cleared the old error, and this would explain why you continue to see it every time you check without having seen the CEL light up in the meantime.

To reset the ECU you need to connect the black and green plugs, turn on the ignition and drive the car gently until you see the check engine light flashing.

If you do that, and then do the black plugs on their own immediately afterwards, you should see no errors. If you then find the lambda one coming back, it's probably time to replace.

TBH if might be worth replacing anyway, if you're convinced the car is thirstier than it should be. Lambda sensors (like mass airflow sensors) can become very inaccurate in use without lighting up the CEL
Thanks for your help mate

After doing the ecu reset above the check engine light does'nt flash at 1/2 second intervals
it flashes out code 32 and repeats, as far as i can make out i'm clearing old codes but it must have an ongoing existing fault thats not lighting up the cel permenantly