Notices

Adding a VF34 to a MY99 what will I see?

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2009, 06:22 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a VF34 to a MY99 what will I see?

I am in the process of getting the below items up together for a future mapping session. So far I am considering-

Full Magnex de-cat
Walbro fuel pump
KN filter
VF34 turbo
550 injectors

What power/torque should this give me on my Euro MY99 classic?

I currently have the cat back exhaust and KN filter and after my first mapping session, with Bob Rawle, it gave me 281/312. As most of you are aware the power bug bites and you just want more!

If I went for the below items only how much would it restrict my gains?

Walbro fuel pump
Vf34 turbo
KN filter

The idea being to keep the standard 440's and original cat.

Lastly, if I go with the full de-cat will fitting the standard centre cat pass an MOT?

Thanks for your time reading this, I just want to get this right.

Cheers guys, Martin
Old 02 September 2009, 06:39 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

440 injectors will be fine. is it standard tmic. if so get a sti tmic as the power u might be looking at may be too much for the standard tmic
Old 02 September 2009, 06:39 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skooby53
What power/torque should this give me on my Euro MY99 classic?
Somewhere in the 340-350 range. If it was my car, and spending the same money, I'd be tempted to drop the injectors and get a newage STi intercooler & dumpvalve instead.

If I went for the below items only how much would it restrict my gains?
Walbro fuel pump
Vf34 turbo
KN filter
Maybe 20bhp or so by keeping the standard downpipe but sticking with the standard injectors won't lose you much - maybe need to taper the boost a little more at higher revs than might be the case with larger injectors but the car would still be more than quick enough to give your clutch and gearbox a headache.

Lastly, if I go with the full de-cat will fitting the standard centre cat pass an MOT?
It's possible, provided the centre cat is in really good nick and is got nice and hot first. More likely that it'd fail though.

Thanks for your time reading this, I just want to get this right.
Speak to Bob, assuming you'll be heading there for a return visit.
Old 02 September 2009, 06:44 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Adding a VF34 to a MY99 what will I see?"

You will see yourself looking at yuo in the rear view mirror with a very big cheesy grin on your face everytime you put your right foot down, lol
Old 02 September 2009, 07:17 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

the intercooler is only good for 330bhp, so if you keep this then you can keep the 440 injectors too as they will cope with 330 also, but both the i/c and 440's are on their limits so will also limit your turbo a bit. You should see 320- 330bhp with a full decat, but with bigger injectors and a bigger i/c you would only get about 10bhp more - 20 if really lucky. so maybe not worth the extra spending. Bob would probably be happy mapping the car by just adding the turbo., as long as you have the filter and most importantly the fuel pump fitted.

you will find the car pulls harder and longer top end, but boost will kick in a bit later compared to the TD04

Last edited by apac; 02 September 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02 September 2009, 07:21 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alex_00s
"Adding a VF34 to a MY99 what will I see?"

You will see yourself looking at yuo in the rear view mirror with a very big cheesy grin on your face everytime you put your right foot down, lol

Thanks for the input so far, I have spoken to Bob and this is his list of options that I have quoted. I know he is a busy man so I am getting opinions of what to expect, rather than bugging him every 5 mins

I to thought that the 440's would be fine, however, since checking this with Bob it seems they will only give me, 'ONLY!', 330bhp. The de-cat thing is kind of bugging me though. How much of a pain is it to refit for the MOT and is there a remote chance of getting pulled for not having it on?

I'm thinking that removing the old turbo and up pipe/cat all at once would be far easier than undoing all those seized bolts. I also expect the VF34 to be a straight swap, unless you know otherwise?
Old 02 September 2009, 07:28 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apac
the intercooler is only good for 330bhp, so if you keep this then you can keep the 440 injectors too as they will cope with 330 also, but both the i/c and 440's are on their limits so will also limit your turbo a bit. You should see 320- 330bhp with a full decat, but with bigger injectors and a bigger i/c you would only get about 10bhp more - 20 if really lucky. so maybe not worth the extra spending. Bob would probably be happy mapping the car by just adding the turbo., as long as you have the filter and most importantly the fuel pump fitted.

you will find the car pulls harder and longer top end, but boost will kick in a bit later compared to the TD04
If I just add the fuel pump and turbo what do you think I could achieve?

I know it's just an indication, but, it would help.
Old 02 September 2009, 07:29 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

I might be wrong, but as far as I know, the up-pipe in classics has no cat, thats only on the newage scoobies?
But you could possible buy one of those sports cats if you're worried about failing the mot. They replace the two cats you have now with a high flow cat which gives you optimum performance and also allows you to sail thru mots
Old 02 September 2009, 07:38 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

Bob has listed the parts to ensure you can get the most of your setup with in certain safety limits.

If you start to remove these from your shopping list then he is going to have to do the same to the map to keep the car in the safe area.

440's can get you there but you will have no safety margin. You caould fit an aftermarket adjustable FPR that will give you some more from them. Probably easier just to get some 550.

My advice is get exactly what bob has said you need. After all he is the expert.

I would add colder plugs to that list and maybe a 3 port
Old 02 September 2009, 07:48 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

I'm sure this is the very best advice I can get, I'm not doubting his experience one bit. From my previous dealings with him he is a true enthusiast and very professional. I just want to know what each step will achieve. I know there are limitations to the standard engine and obviously I want to stay within them. I was hoping for around 320-330 but was happy to fit the VF34 and get whatever was achievable, he has just broadened my horizon ( and made it appear much quicker)

I am already using PFR7's and the car is running perfectly, just want more power!

Last edited by Skooby53; 02 September 2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02 September 2009, 08:07 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

get rid of the down pipe CAT and leave the centre one in as this is the smaller of the two and the car will still roll through an MOT easily if thats an issue. Otherwise - full decat and put the centre pipe on before MOT. Or sports CAT down pipe n staright through centre.

I would ...... full decat with centre resonator - so not crazily loud but loud enough!
'Green cotton' panel filter
fuel pump
VF34
and be happy with 330bhp on a car that weighs alot less than the newage cars

Oh,, and hope that your clutch does not die with the uprated power

Last edited by apac; 02 September 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02 September 2009, 08:51 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apac
get rid of the down pipe CAT and leave the centre one in as this is the smaller of the two and the car will still roll through an MOT easily if thats an issue. Otherwise - full decat and put the centre pipe on before MOT. Or sports CAT down pipe n staright through centre.

I would ...... full decat with centre resonator - so not crazily loud but loud enough!
'Green cotton' panel filter
fuel pump
VF34
and be happy with 330bhp on a car that weighs alot less than the newage cars

Oh,, and hope that your clutch does not die with the uprated power
Yep, I can see where your coming from. If I get a safe 330 then I will be happy. I will set aside some cash for a new clutch, just in case

In the interest of saving my clutch/gearbox any ideas on the 0-60 times and 1/4 mile? I'm not interested in pub talk but, again, just curious. If I retain the driveability that I currently have I will be very happy.
Old 02 September 2009, 08:56 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

that depends on the driver... lol ,, and if you value your clutch

0-60 should be less than 5 secs

try this link for fun... http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/...calculator.asp
Old 02 September 2009, 09:01 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Very interesting

Thanks for your help, now to get the bits asap
Old 02 September 2009, 09:21 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

maf might be an issue (mine blew 2 in 20 mins while mapping so went autronics and maffless), front mount is a must to get the best, fuel pump is a must full stop, im still running 440's but i'd recomand goin 550's. gearbox and clutch might be at risk. oil temps might be an issue so may need uprated oil cooler, definate nocklink and gauges time to make sure all is running tickety boo.

Old 02 September 2009, 10:07 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Hi Tidgy, thanks for your input. I didn't even think about the MAF, notoriously weak on MY99/00. I will have to keep my fingers crossed regarding the gearbox/clutch. As they say 'with power comes responsibility' and an empty wallet! Your graph looks very impressive, maybe just maybe mine may look similar
Old 02 September 2009, 11:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

thanks hehe

there some room for improvement, headers are still standard, its a tad on the laggy side lower revs becuase of that and im still running full weight flywheel, but once it hits 4k it just ***** off lol