Converting To MPH and Clocks

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2009, 03:29 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Converting To MPH and Clocks

Hi all,

Wanting to convert to MPH... what do I need and where do I get it?

Also going to be changing to MPH clocks and when I've got dials out and that i'm wanting to change the colour of the back lights, is this possible?? If so, what do I use? New bulbs or coloured film? And where do I get it?

Cheers
Old 31 August 2009, 03:41 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I converted my 97 import to MPH fairly easily using an electronic speedo convertor that I got from eBay for about £25 iirc - that changed the dial to read mph instead of kmh, all I did then was put a piece of black tape over the 'k' so it read 'm/h' instead of 'km/h'. I also made a note of the odometer reading at the time of conversion, so that I could work out the total mileage later if required.

The 97 dash is an electronic dash, earlier ones have a mechanical speedo so need a gear type convertor, which can be mounted on the speedo head I think, not sure about that tho.

The backlight may be changed using film I think, never done it myself tho

Hope that helps a bit

Cheers

Pete
Old 31 August 2009, 03:50 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Mines a MY97 WRX so do i just need the electronic speedo convertor like the one you have used? So is this just a plug then??

Cheers for the reply mate
Old 31 August 2009, 03:59 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

It might be the same, if the speedo is electronic (odometer is LCD rather than mechanical) then the convertor chip should work (same chip sold for all sorts of import cars, but instructions are different depending on what one you bought it for, if you get my drift). Its not strictly a plug-in thing, I had to get a +ve feed and good earth, then cut the speedo signal wire and connect the convertor between it and the speedo itself - soldering all connections is a must; I used block connectors first time and it didn't work well. Speedo jumped about a bit, car was popping & banging too generally much better with the chip soldered.

I got mine from eBay, was very similar to this one

This is the same kind as the one I bought, it was delivered fast and they also responded fast via email when I was having trouble with those darned block connectors (that I was told not to use in all fairness )

Note that the dash wiring is a little short, so it can be tricky to get the clocks in / out; I 'cured' this by removing some of the harness outer sleeving wrap stuff to free up some extra length on the clock cables to make it a bit easier
Old 31 August 2009, 04:00 PM
stinger_sweaty
Scooby Regular

i think you need the mechanical converter if its a MY97, u can buy led bulbs and lockwood dials from ebay.
Old 31 August 2009, 04:06 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Ah, my odometer is mechanical

Will the newer classic clocks, from the likes of a V6 STi go in MY97 or do you need to change the full dash??
Old 31 August 2009, 04:09 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

If its the mechanical one then you would need to use this kind of converter...

Not sure about how easy it is to swap the clocks over tho, but I'm sure soneone on here has done it
Old 31 August 2009, 08:19 PM
Mperregil
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is mechanical one,do you just plug this in and how do you change the numbers back?My car is a 1993 wrx import.My car has done 163.000 Km and in miles it is 101.000.Whats why i'm asking how do you get the numbers to go back?