Notices

Simtek and key transponder

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2009, 08:53 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simtek and key transponder

I believe i read and was told on here that the o/e transponder was not affected when having a simtek ecu fitted.

I say believe cos the mind can play tricks and it was maybe 7 or 8 months ago, but it would have been part of my decision to have the simtek fittted as i wanted to retain as much security as possible. i had one fitted around 6 months now and its been great.

I wanted to get a key cut that could soley open the doors manually and didnt need it to start the car or unlock it remotely so had a plain blank cut today with no electronics enclosed at all.

When i get back to the car i try it in the door lock and then the ignition and it works fine, but to my suprise it also starts the car and ive done 120miles using it.

So just for anyone thinking of a simtek this is another thing that may be of value to you. Certainly on my car i no longer need a chiped key. Any blank that has been cut and turns the locks will start the car.

Mel

Last edited by Turbotits; 27 August 2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 27 August 2009, 09:17 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting... wonder how that affects insurance. Is the original key on the keyring when you start the car? Might still be picking up the original transponder if its somewhere nearby? Also, if you've got remote locking when you unlock using the remote does that disable the immobiliser?

I had a focus that would only start if you unlocked the car using the keyfob button (and a fiat that would only start if it was in a good mood, but we'll not go there )

Pete
Old 27 August 2009, 09:24 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm that's interesting. You're saying with the electronicless key, you managed to get in the car, without setting off the alarm.. and started the car?

Surely you've opened the car with the remote at least, or else how did you immobiliser get disabled?
Old 27 August 2009, 09:24 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Have a seperate remote for locking and unlocking which also disables the starter and i used to gain entry to the car. The transponder is supposed to shut the fuel pump down, I thought the original key may be to close so i left it at home for the last 50mile round trip i did so it definatly wasnt picking a signal from that

Last edited by Turbotits; 27 August 2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 27 August 2009, 09:57 PM
stewart1397
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i have simtek fitted and my immobiliser still works.
i think the immobiliser is a stand alone unit.your immobiliser light should flash till you turn the key then go out.
i have bypassed the immobiliser on my work van and the immobiliser light stll flashes even when it is started.
maybe you immobiliser was bypassed before the simtek was fitted,did you ever test it or maybe it was bypassed when a aftermarket alarm was fitted
Old 27 August 2009, 10:07 PM
t7srt
Scooby Regular

The chip in the key is picked up by the receiver around the ignition barrel (standard subaru fitment on uk cars)
If this is not recognised it will not fire the engine, some uk models had the sigma fitted which is in addition to the standard chepped key immobiliser, As far as I'm aware, the signal from the receiver tells the standard ecu that its the right/wrong key and swapping ecu's to an ecutek or ppp the chip immobilser will still be active, As the simtek as no facility to recognise this signal it is not affected and you would be able to start the key with a chipless key.

I suppose its a case of weighing up the pro's and cons, just make sure you have a secondary alarm/immobiliser to cover your insurance.
Old 27 August 2009, 10:08 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stewart1397
i have simtek fitted and my immobiliser still works.
i think the immobiliser is a stand alone unit.your immobiliser light should flash till you turn the key then go out.
i have bypassed the immobiliser on my work van and the immobiliser light stll flashes even when it is started.
maybe you immobiliser was bypassed before the simtek was fitted,did you ever test it or maybe it was bypassed when a aftermarket alarm was fitted

No you miss interpret the imobiliser/alarm works just fine. there is also a transponder in the key. a non recognised key should allow the car to crank over but not start as the fuel pump will not run. the alarm/imobiliser which is fitted when the cars are brought into the uk is a seperate thing.
Old 27 August 2009, 10:13 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by t7srt
The chip in the key is picked up by the receiver around the ignition barrel (standard subaru fitment on uk cars)
If this is not recognised it will not fire the engine, some uk models had the sigma fitted which is in addition to the standard chepped key immobiliser, As far as I'm aware, the signal from the receiver tells the standard ecu that its the right/wrong key and swapping ecu's to an ecutek or ppp the chip immobilser will still be active, As the simtek as no facility to recognise this signal it is not affected and you would be able to start the key with a chipless key.

I suppose its a case of weighing up the pro's and cons, just make sure you have a secondary alarm/immobiliser to cover your insurance.
I agree thats exactly whats happening. but im sure i was told the transponder was read by a seperate control unit to the main ecu hence would still be active after the simtek was fitted.

this ofcourse means i could go buy a second hand ecu with the keys. Slidehammer the ignition barrel of a car i fancied fit the ecu ive bought and drive away. the starter on the alarm/imobiliser is very easy to get round. just shows how easy they can be taken
Old 27 August 2009, 10:27 PM
t7srt
Scooby Regular

Any car is easy to steal if you put enough effort into it,

or, you could work for a locksmiths and borrow their key cutting machine and code reader/programmer. Much easier than carrying a handbag with all those bits in. Lol