Notices

Solaris, motec or hks

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2009, 12:20 AM
RAPTER59
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solaris, motec or hks

hey guys have seen a few ecu posts around but now im at this stage. Been looking around and was going for a solaris but now have a few in mind and was maybe wanting some recommendations.

Car is needing remap and im thinking ahead. Planning on around 450- 500hp long term and would be wanting a ecu capatable of this. Have heard many recommendations for the motec but high price comes with this. Noticed the hks f con pro, big in the skyline world and seen a few classics in japan running it, but dont hear of it in the uk. I know mappers are less popular.

Will be installed on jdm hawkeye

Cheers
Chris
Old 25 August 2009, 12:22 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The simtek should also be considered. Being quite widely regarded as a great ECU.

From what I read the solaris has knock control which the Simtek doesn't... however I'm not entirely sure quite what difference that could make..?
Old 25 August 2009, 08:15 AM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

I run a Pectel T6,but if i was buying one now it would have to be a Solaris...Alan
Old 25 August 2009, 08:31 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
From what I read the solaris has knock control which the Simtek doesn't... however I'm not entirely sure quite what difference that could make..?
... an engine.

Solaris is the choice ecu.

Full wideband controlled closed loop fueling
Knock control per cylinder
8 switcheable maps / fuel maps / boost levels etc
Superb datalogging which is worth it's weight in gold IMO.

The knock control is a huge part of it in my view - without active knock control a mapper would need to build a much bigger margin for error in the map and subsequently not get the performance all the time. If fuel quality deteriorates then the Simtek cannot do anything about it.

Simtek does what it does well but it still disturbs me to think that the CEL flashes when it sees knock but the same light flashes as a gear change indicator. So ... knock at the top end could be completely overlooked if you manage to see the CEL at all
Old 25 August 2009, 10:23 AM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Im with Duncan on this one, had a simtek and all though it worked if i done it again (when i do it again) I will be biting Mr Solaris arm off!
Old 25 August 2009, 10:56 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamix
... an engine.
Only if the car was mapped absolutely on the ragged edge in the first place.

Solaris is the choice ecu.
Can't disagree with that, but purely on the basis that the DBW SimTek isn't available as yet and the Motec is over priced.

Full wideband controlled closed loop fueling
Knock control per cylinder
8 switcheable maps / fuel maps / boost levels etc
Superb datalogging which is worth it's weight in gold IMO.
Agreed, the Solaris at present has a better features list, but then it is a more expensive ecu. The external datalogging for SimTeks is something that will be addressed as soon as the Evo ecu is completed.

The knock control is a huge part of it in my view - without active knock control a mapper would need to build a much bigger margin for error in the map and subsequently not get the performance all the time. If fuel quality deteriorates then the Simtek cannot do anything about it.

Simtek does what it does well but it still disturbs me to think that the CEL flashes when it sees knock but the same light flashes as a gear change indicator. So ... knock at the top end could be completely overlooked if you manage to see the CEL at all
Closed loop knock control is coming for SimTeks Duncan, and soon.
It will still flash the cell though as a warning, something I believe the Solaris doesn't do.
Personally I would rather know, than just trust the ecu to keep my engine safe, especially as even the factory car does such a crap job of it. I couldn't count the amount of Newage WRX's I have had in for a map that are detting their **** off, and the factory ecu sits there oblivious to it. Little point in having it if it doesn't work.
The shift light can be either turned off or use an external bulb at request.
Old 25 August 2009, 11:17 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

How soon are we looking at knock control on the simtek?
Old 25 August 2009, 11:23 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Martyn the only issue is things seem to take forever to be released, at the moment it does not bother me as I am not using the ecu. But what about when I am running the ecu in the car, it would mean taking the ecu out and the car being parked up, main issue being it is my daily driver lol

Banny
Old 25 August 2009, 11:24 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hydra as an option?

Tony
Old 25 August 2009, 12:01 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MartynJ
Personally I would rather know, than just trust the ecu to keep my engine safe, especially as even the factory car does such a crap job of it. I couldn't count the amount of Newage WRX's I have had in for a map that are detting their **** off, and the factory ecu sits there oblivious to it. Little point in having it if it doesn't work.
The shift light can be either turned off or use an external bulb at request.
True - but I run a KS3 aswell to let me know of the scale of the det (if I havent got the laptop running real time) or download the logs afterwards and check them. If i choose to ignore what I have calibrated as an audible degree of knock from the det cans then so be it.

The std oe ecu does do a grand job in most cases but you are right - I have seen many that are detting away and not doing an awful lot about it. Mainly unmapped cars mind where the factory map settings for knock control don't give it the room to do much about it higher up the rev range.

Simtek knock control will be a good thing and will save having this discussion every time there is a thread comparing ecu's...

Hydra - it has knock control I believe but I personally never liked the software from a mapping point of view as it was clunky and very 'windows 95' all IMHO. I didn't explore beyond that.
Old 25 August 2009, 12:07 PM
New_scooby_04

That's not such an issue mate. The CEL comes on constantly for a gear change indication, and flashes to indicate knock; it's a clear difference from behind the wheel.
Old 25 August 2009, 12:38 PM
RAPTER59
Scooby Regular

A lot of info

Im thinking the solaris, I had planned to get this as stated before, what anyone think of the f con pro I have been emailing around for prices etc just got one for the hks and seems reasonable but I really havent heard much about them
Whats everyone think?

Chris
Old 25 August 2009, 12:56 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

hks power writters are quite dear and i dont think you will get much support for the ecu if im to be honest as much as you would for Simtek,solaries hydra etc

also they wont resale as quick as other ecu ive currently got simtek and so pleased with it i wont be changin it for anything else as its more than enough for what i use it for.

mus
Old 25 August 2009, 01:02 PM
RAPTER59
Scooby Regular

got this price for the fcon

"You are looking at about £250+vat to install the F-Con and sensors. F-Cons themselves are £855+vat and the looms are about £200+vat."

Then mapping was £95 per hour

kinda think the solaris is maybe the best
Old 25 August 2009, 02:04 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!

Originally Posted by banny sti
Martyn the only issue is things seem to take forever to be released, at the moment it does not bother me as I am not using the ecu. But what about when I am running the ecu in the car, it would mean taking the ecu out and the car being parked up, main issue being it is my daily driver lol

Banny
I can't argue with that Banny, things do take time. But considering the ecu was designed, built and is constantly being upgraded by one man, i'll cut him a little slack if it takes a little time.
The knock control upgrade AFAIK will be a software only upgrade and won't require customers to remove their ecu.
Old 25 August 2009, 02:12 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

True - but I run a KS3 aswell to let me know of the scale of the det (if I havent got the laptop running real time) or download the logs afterwards and check them. If i choose to ignore what I have calibrated as an audible degree of knock from the det cans then so be it.
Which is all well and good m8, but who on a road car wants to download and inspect their log files every time they have popped to the shops and felt like a squirt on the way. And as for using the KS3 or a Knock link as a visual warning, it just means spending more money when you could use something that the car already has.

To the OP, I don't think you will go far wrong with the Solaris should you choose a decent mapper to install it for you.
Old 25 August 2009, 02:21 PM
RAPTER59
Scooby Regular

think zen and lateral are dealers for solaris if im not mistaken?
Old 25 August 2009, 02:22 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

I can't argue with that Banny, things do take time. But considering the ecu was designed, built and is constantly being upgraded by one man, i'll cut him a little slack if it takes a little time.
The knock control upgrade AFAIK will be a software only upgrade and won't require customers to remove their ecu.
Would this be available to download on the net or is it case of sending the ecu to Andrew to be flashed with the latest update?

Banny
Old 25 August 2009, 02:22 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Sorry martyn, but do you have any idea when this will come? I will be looking at simtek in the coming months!
Old 25 August 2009, 02:32 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RAPTER59
think zen and lateral are dealers for solaris if im not mistaken?
as are scoobyclinic and lots of others...

Martyn .. most guys running higher power cars would be daft to rely on just one source of protection - i chose KS3 as it would show me an actual value of det.

As for downloading logs whenever I go to the shops - dont quite get that obsessive but after each track session or 1/4 or competitive event i do - just to see if there is anything to improve or owt. Most of the time I leave well alone as it is fit and forget IMO.
Old 25 August 2009, 02:43 PM
RAPTER59
Scooby Regular

I do like the sound of the logging could be kinda useful as you say maybe after track sessions etc
Old 25 August 2009, 03:39 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Would this be available to download on the net or is it case of sending the ecu to Andrew to be flashed with the latest update?

Banny
When we last spoke I believe we said that the mapper will be able to install it, or alternatively if you own a customer version of software you will be able to download the update and upgrade yourself.
Old 25 August 2009, 04:18 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

...Simtek knock control will be a good thing and will save having this discussion every time there is a thread comparing ecu's...
When Simtek finally gets knock control it will be one groovey little ECU IMHO:-

- 'affordable' (for its feature list/capability)
- dual maps
- MAFless!
- active knock control!
- Flashing knock CEL

Ticks most peoples boxes, I reckon...
Old 25 August 2009, 05:34 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
When Simtek finally gets knock control it will be one groovey little ECU IMHO:-

- 'affordable' (for its feature list/capability)
- dual maps
- MAFless!
- active knock control!
- Flashing knock CEL

Ticks most peoples boxes, I reckon...
External datalogging is coming too, we have discussed the possibility of using a USB style memory stick.
Old 25 August 2009, 05:37 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Sounds good Martyn as I have the software and would be able to do the download and update myself.

Banny
Old 25 August 2009, 06:13 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Closed loop knock control is coming for SimTeks Duncan, and soon.
It will still flash the cell though as a warning, something I believe the Solaris doesn't do.
Solaris flashes engine light when the knock control has removed more than a configurable amount of timing (tend to find 1degree timing works well).

The factory map is the issue not the factory ecu.. it can be set it up so that it works very very well.

The SimTek is still a fantastic bit of kit and what I run in my daily drive
and should definitly be considered.

Simon
Old 25 August 2009, 06:17 PM
RAPTER59
Scooby Regular

hey good news got in contact with scooby clinic and have arranged to have her mapped next week so yea big thanks

Chris
Old 26 August 2009, 09:20 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Chris what ecu did you go for in the end?
Old 26 August 2009, 10:12 AM
RAPTER59
Scooby Regular

I'm going for the solaris think it seems to be a good choice
Old 26 August 2009, 12:15 PM
SoNiCa
Scooby Regular

I have run Aem, Motec, Simtek, Haltech(Platinium too), Apexi, and hydra..

to me,
Solaris is the best on the market now.

Go for it but dont forget that; A full tuning of Solaris versus Fcon would not be the same. A mapper may well charge you 3X for a full solaris tuning when compared to others. It is also related with your car setup.