Notices

Few Problems, assistance required

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2009, 09:32 PM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Few Problems, assistance required

Just bought a Subaru Impreza WRX 1996 N Reg Sports Wagon Import.
Mileage is 46k, all mot history tallys, since it has been in uk, is there any way i can check the mileage, when it was imported into UK.
On releasing clutch pedal has slight step in it, on release comes up so far sticks abit, then comes fully home all in one motion, when pulling off, car has slight judder.
Air intercooler, has broken brach, that goes to dump valve, seen some on E-bay but they seen to have no brach on them, just a single large pipe.
Finally, igniton barrel, no problems starting, but when it comes to taking key out, does not want to go to final postion with a push to release key, do i need to get another key cut, because at the moment i'm like a mad man getting the key out, i really struggle, thanks
Old 23 August 2009, 09:52 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Hello, welcome to Scoobynet BTW. Not sure on the mileage thing . The clutch pedal thing could be a similar problem to what I had on my car. Check to see if there's any type of clutch return spring? should be underneath the centre of the intercooler on the servo. It's a tension spring. That may help keep it moving up smoothly. Or when my friend had a similar problem he found it to be a clutch fluid problem (his was black!)...replaced it then it was fine.
And the ignition barrel well I have this problem to, it's awkward I know but bar replacing the ignition barrel or key there's noway round it I think. I've used WD40 and 3/4 other types of lubricant's...help's a little but still get the key stuck in. I think it's just down to wear on the key in my case. I use a small round "pokey stick"(technical name ) that I keep in my door pocket. If the key sticks in then I use the pokey stick to push the centre ring of the ignition barrel inwards and am able to pull the key out then no prob's.
I tryed having a new key cut once but never again, it got stuck in the barrel and took me half an hour in a car park to get it free. Might have worked though if I got one from the Dealer's but that's not cheap at all and I'd rather spend my cash on other thing's & keeping it running ofcourse.
Old 23 August 2009, 10:00 PM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Thanks GMballistic , for the reply, you've had me and my Mrs in laughter, she thinks it's funny when i'm trying to get my key out, but that one about you on the car park with the new key, well what can i say, i know it's not funny at the time, lol, see if i can build myself one of these "pokey sticks" , thanks for replying.
Old 23 August 2009, 10:04 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

I bought a complete set of new locks with keys includeing a complete steering lock barrel from Subaru for £44.00 for my 96 classic saloon...... the steering lock barrel took about 15 minutes to fit
Old 23 August 2009, 10:15 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastmike
I bought a complete set of new locks with keys includeing a complete steering lock barrel from Subaru for £44.00 for my 96 classic saloon...... the steering lock barrel took about 15 minutes to fit
Was it an Import you've got Mike? would of thought it to be cheaper for UK version's & more expensive for Import's you see.
Glad I gave some one a giggle anyway Nakers...you should have seen how red my face was at the time
Old 23 August 2009, 10:32 PM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by GMballistic
Was it an Import you've got Mike? would of thought it to be cheaper for UK version's & more expensive for Import's you see.
Glad I gave some one a giggle anyway Nakers...you should have seen how red my face was at the time
Why would they charge me extra for an Import model, is this a ripoff by them ? surely the same fitment
If you saw me taking my key out, you would have to laugh, basically tried all ways to get it out, gentle and hard, but the one that works for me is jumping around in the seated postion and pushing and pulling and it comes out, i can laugh about it now, but when it does happen
Old 23 August 2009, 10:50 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

I had just heard that with Import's the dealer would have to get the key number from you (on the key....4 digits) and then the new key from Japan.
When I had my key cut the key cutter used the closest matching Subaru key to mine that he had but he said it still looked different from the UK Subaru blanks he had. Maybe I'm wrong
Here's a few links you may or may not need just to help you out with your new Scooby ownership;
API Engines
https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...w-updated.html
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Scoobypedia / Scoobypedia
Old 23 August 2009, 11:25 PM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Your a star, thanks, as for the key business did'nt fastmike say, he got everything keys and locks, so don't really need to try and get old key copy's, have no chip in mine, someone on a favorite auction site at the moment selling blank keys, which he says are exact blank key copy's, for they have been imported
Old 24 August 2009, 07:39 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

yes mines a UK car..... BUT I would have thought it was the same as a JDM vehicle as far as locks are concerned
Old 24 August 2009, 11:30 AM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Thanks fastmike, whch dealers did you use, just in case mine, come out with some mad price, thanks for the feedback aswell
Old 24 August 2009, 11:38 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

I always use Wilsons in chadwell heath , essex..... ask for Bob...... hes very helpfull
Old 24 August 2009, 11:59 AM
bigbl
Scooby Regular

i was having key problems as well,took my key down to my local key cutters and he just needed the 4 digit code,and gave me a brand new key instead of a template from a worn key,comparing my old key to the new one,it looks mad how worn the old key is and my locks work a1 again for the measly sum of £4
Old 24 August 2009, 11:24 PM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Ok, gald to hear, about key problems, common problem, lol, had a conversation with a experienced scooby guy today, told me where the bratch had broken off my main turbo intercooler pipe, should not be driving it, well i only got it Saturday, knew something was wrong, found the break straight away, after driving 50 miles, someone has tryed to bodge it with cable tie and glue,HOW long has it been like this makes it run rich, cokes top end up, can cause problems, so ordered replacement turbo intercooler, fingers crossed, not caused any damage.
Told him about clutch, this ones a good one, told me seems like it has a competion clutch in it, which will do this, slight step in clutch and slight judder on pull away, but as it gets warmer bit more severe, only reinstated what the previous owner said, but i did not want to take it as gospel
Got a little pokey thing to get ignition key out, works a treat, no need to change barrell, thanks GMballstic

Last edited by nakers; 25 August 2009 at 01:22 PM.