Notices

What could cause an intermittent boost leak!?!

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2009, 03:04 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What could cause an intermittent boost leak!?!

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I've got a boost leak of some sort. That's what it sounds & feels like anyway. But it's not constant? Some days when I accelerate the car will be fine and feels 'tight' as it should, but then other days it feels all 'loose' and instead of accelerating it just makes a noise of wooshing air escaping from somewhere and doesn't accelerate at all like. You'd think if it was a boost leak, like a hole in a pipe somewhere or something, it would just either LEAK.......or NOT leak!? How can it leak one day.....but not the next? I can't think what it could be?

Am I right in saying a boost leak can only really happen between the turbo outlet and the inlet manifold? Cuz that's where the main travel of air from the turbo is?

Could it be a wastegate or dump valve problem?

Car is a MY00 Impreza Turbo 2000. Exhaust from the turbo back has been changed. It's got the Samco intercooler hoses (Y-piece etc). Turbo, dumpvalve and top mount intercooler are all standard. It's been mapped by Bob Rawle.

Cheers guys
Old 15 August 2009, 03:18 PM
snudge&kaz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a astra gsi turbo in the past and it had an intermitant boost leak and turned out to be the dump valve sticking open sometimes and other times would be fine. mayb the same problem but mayb not, u can check ur waste gate isnt sticking aswell by usin a mitivac gauge if available.