Notices

Strange Noise on Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2009, 08:49 AM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange Noise on Acceleration

I have just noticed a new sound - i've had teh car a little over a month and to date there hasn't been a squeak from her, to be honest, i haven't been driving that hard as i did this morning as i was late for work...bad i know but hey!

Anyway, i have noticed that when im accelerating and going for a gear change, when i depress the clutch there is a noise from the engine that i haven't noticed before. It's very hard to explain. But imagine you are engine breaking and you get a slight vibration through the exhaust, it almost sounds like that but its on acceleration, almost like i was revving the car on idle! But it sounds deeper than that. Now as yet i am not 100% up on the scoob's and may be this is normal, i don't know, she is running a compltely stock engine - just a ninja exhuast cat back. At first i thought it could be the exhaust as its very similar sound to that part of the car, now im wondering if its something different.

Has anyone got any ideas?
Old 11 August 2009, 09:08 AM
ian.b
BANNED

got a sound clip of it ????
Old 11 August 2009, 09:27 AM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ian.b
got a sound clip of it ????
Unfortunately not no mate, when teh car is at idle, parked up and rev'd doesn't do it, it only does it when accelerating and driving fast, if i drive slowly and do lest swift change the noise isn't there, but if change while accelerating relatively hard the noise becomes apparent, and to be honest i doubt i could get a recording, not sure it would be picked up by anything other htan the human ear.

Best way to describe as i say, accelerating hard from 3rd - change to 4th, sound resembles across between a croak/blarp that is quite deep in sound, sounds like its resonating/echoey and is short lived only when the clutch is depressed and you change , after that its gone.

Car pulls like a train, changes are crisp, easy, not clutch slip or difficult in gear change. There are no warning lights, doesn't idle poorly from what i've noticed. Its just a strange noise and like i say never heard it before but then i've only ever driven it quite fast the last couple of times i've been in it, else never really over 50/60 mph.

The only thing that has changed is this is my first tank of vpower - have been using the tesco 99 ron on the last two fill ups. Filled up sunday 1qtr teso 99, 3/4's Shell Vpower

Last edited by stevekoz; 11 August 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11 August 2009, 10:16 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

How short-lived (or not) is this sound? I'm wondering if it isn't just pressure-release from the BOV, or in some way related to it. If your BOV is stock, maybe it needs replacing, or maybe one of the vacuum lines has worked its way loose.
Old 11 August 2009, 11:38 AM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
How short-lived (or not) is this sound? I'm wondering if it isn't just pressure-release from the BOV, or in some way related to it. If your BOV is stock, maybe it needs replacing, or maybe one of the vacuum lines has worked its way loose.
I did wonder myself if it was the BOV - as its from that region and its with the depression of the clutch which is when it would vent. I am wondering if it is just pressure that is causing it and its just either bitten the big one or is finding hard to cope. I had in mind to replace it anyway this weekend with a aftermarket one. Its a cheap enough place to start. I'll have a look at all the vac lines at lunch see what i can see.

No one happens to have a aftermarket BOV for sale for a vreg 2000 UK Turbo do they lol.