Sti V and Si VI Engine Reliability!

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2002, 07:36 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hiya All,
Can anybody shed some light in the subject of the sti v engine and why a number of them have blown up? Is there a particular reason for this ie ecu or is an internal fault?? Was this sorted out for the STI VI?

Many thanks

Gez

Old 08 March 2002, 07:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no real evidence that these engines are unreliable, the main problem is that the ecu's are mapped for a higher octane fuel than our maximum 98.6 optimax (jap fuel being 100 ron).
if you can afford it, then an sti 5 or 6 with a remapped ecu is probably the best bet IMHO, dropping the fuel down to 95 ron so there is no det in the engine.
Just remember that if these cars havnt been run on 97 and above ron fuel then dont touch them, there could be unseen damage to the pistons and that will cause engine failure...

Tony
Old 08 March 2002, 09:25 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Take care when improving breathing mods on STi V/VI - they can run lean at the top end when they have induction kits and big exhausts.

Always run them on Optimax/booster to be really safe.

Trout
Old 08 March 2002, 09:42 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Cool

Many thanks to Tony and Trout!
I had a feeling thaty it would have petrol problems with the Sti V and VI.

Regards

Gez
Old 10 March 2002, 07:11 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression it was more to do with an oil pump problem that starves the car of oil momentarily,thus resulting in engine failure,rather than a fuel problem.Or at least this is what i was told as i was looking at buying an STI V yesterday.They told me that when they sell this type of car they change the pump as a precaution and have not had any failure to date as a result.Any response to this appreciated.Cheers
Old 10 March 2002, 07:21 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Dean,

I am sure that upgrading the oil pump an only be helpful - as would baffling the sump - however I can only relate to personal experience on of the STi Vs I have heard of going wrong it was primarily bad fuel (95 RON).

Touch wood - my track efforts to date have not caused any problem and many other STi Vs successfully run on track without oil problems - mind you, use the very best oil you can afford.

Redline, Motul, AMSoil, etc

Trout
Old 11 March 2002, 09:14 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

I thought one of the main problems was running them at high speeds in 5th, prolonged maximum boost, intercooler can't cope, intake temps soar, egts go thru the roof and bye bye.