Notices

Think i have a big problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2009, 04:09 PM
VTR steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think i have a big problem please help

Been doing the cam belt on my 98 uk 2000turbo today and hit a problem. Followed all the usual guides and removed all the relevant parts no problem apart from the crankshaft pulley nut which i had to really swing on and in the end had to use the starter technique but it came off. This is where the problem started when i lined up the crankshaft pulley to the timing mark the camshaft pulleys were not correctly lined up. I tryed turning the engine over by hand a couple of turns and still no joy one or more of the pulleys was out. AT this point i got my hands on a auto data book with a guide to cam timing. So i set about resetting the timing and got all the marks to line up with the new belt and with the marks on the car. Turned the engine over by hand again and all seemed good no stops and the marks lined back up. Put the car back together and started it but i am now getting a knock from the drivers side rocker cover like a dry tappet. Switched off straight away although it did start really easy and was'nt missing or did'nt sound like the timing was out. Stripped it back down to check the timing and it seems good all the marks still line up dont know what to do now not sure whether the timing is right and something else has gone or if i have messed the timing up and its that. Please help.
Old 25 July 2009, 04:30 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

did u check both sides where tdc when put belt on. then again id dont think it wud run if they werent
Old 25 July 2009, 04:56 PM
VTR steve
Scooby Regular

Yeah checked both sides but have just found another mark on the crank pulley so it may be out. Does anyone know what position the woodruff key should be on the crank at tdc 3 or 6 o'clock?. There is a line and an arrow on the crank pulley so now need to find out whether the arrow or the line go to the timing mark.
Old 25 July 2009, 05:36 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember which way the woodruff sits in accordance with the crank sprocket. But maybe JGM's guide here might help.

Credit to JollyGreenMonster>>>> JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

As can be seen the sprocket mark lines up with timing mark on the oil pump houseing.
Old 25 July 2009, 05:40 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

This may help to.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...elt-probs.html
Old 25 July 2009, 05:53 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burbling1
Well pointed out mate, according to Micks second diagram from the subaru book on this thread the woodruff key should be at 180 degrees (faceing down directly) for timing.