Notices

Steering rack leaking on classic

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2009, 09:26 AM
ice643
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack leaking on classic

Took my Type r for Mot ,failed because steering rack has an oil leak.
Is it a big job to put another one on.Mechanic at MOT station quoted £80.
He was saying something about subframe is in the way.
Thanks
Old 14 July 2009, 10:26 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No its not a big job.

Not sure what sub frame he is referring to. When i changed my rack the only thing i removed was a plate linking two frames which was just 4 bolts and it drops off.

2 people will make it alot easier, and it is a bit fiddly getting the pipes back into the rack, but it is possible as a DIY jobbie.

How much they charging for a replacement rack? Or are they going to repaire your old one?

I hope they dont charge you 80 quid for pouring a bottle of Lucas steering stop leak in... Which might be an idea for you to try for 15 quid. Just make sure you clean all the leaked fluid off before you take it back for an MOT if it does the job. I hear it works wonders..
Old 14 July 2009, 11:01 AM
ice643
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyc
No its not a big job.

Not sure what sub frame he is referring to. When i changed my rack the only thing i removed was a plate linking two frames which was just 4 bolts and it drops off.

2 people will make it alot easier, and it is a bit fiddly getting the pipes back into the rack, but it is possible as a DIY jobbie.

How much they charging for a replacement rack? Or are they going to repaire your old one?

I hope they dont charge you 80 quid for pouring a bottle of Lucas steering stop leak in... Which might be an idea for you to try for 15 quid. Just make sure you clean all the leaked fluid off before you take it back for an MOT if it does the job. I hear it works wonders..
Thanks , i will try Lucas stop leak i wasthinking about that will it stop the leak.Many Thanks
Old 14 July 2009, 10:03 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Where is it leaking from ??

Mine sprung two leaks !! Both of them were the power steering pipe nipples, where they enter into the rack, They just needed tightening & had become loose over time.. Well worth a check & inexpensive to fix if the case

Cheers.

Dean
Old 14 July 2009, 10:30 PM
ice643
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
Where is it leaking from ??

Mine sprung two leaks !! Both of them were the power steering pipe nipples, where they enter into the rack, They just needed tightening & had become loose over time.. Well worth a check & inexpensive to fix if the case

Cheers.

Dean
thanks