Notices

Need help please on COOLANT

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2009, 05:11 PM
crook6693
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please on COOLANT

Hi i am all new to this and have just bought a year 2000 wrx it looks to me like there are 2 coolant fill points one on the engine and one at the front right side of the car but this is empty and the pipe going to it has been pulled off and tied up does antone know why oh and i have removed the cap from the header tank one and it looks empty.Could anyone advise me.Thanks all Jim
Old 05 July 2009, 05:40 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rhs pipe is the overflow and should have a rubber pipe coming off the top that leads to nowhere.
The tank on the lhs is the expansion tank and should be full.
Old 05 July 2009, 06:09 PM
crook6693
Scooby Regular

Default coolant

Hi yep put one litre of water was a little low do these need bleading also yes the tank front right side says coolant but the bottom pipe has been pulled off and tied up trhis pipe i beleave when i blew done it puts the water into the washer bottle.Any ideas why some one might remove and tie this up.Thanks
Old 05 July 2009, 06:17 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh my apologies i thought you meant the top hose of the overflow.
Perhaps you could ask the person you bought it off?
Sounds quite odd tbh, i would drain the coolant system reconnect that hose or get a new one and refill the system carefully.
Old 05 July 2009, 06:27 PM
crook6693
Scooby Regular

Default coolant

Hi yes there is no way to contact previous owner coolant on my checker comes up with 4 floats which indicates good should i just push it back on played with the pipe and if you lower the pipe water from washer bottle comes out so i guess envirometaly they sent it to here.does it do anything.Thanks
Old 05 July 2009, 06:29 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Hi Jim,
I have an Import 96 WRX so might be different but I don't think so. Firstly do not drive your car if there is little or no coolant in it or you will damage your engine.
The Tank on the engine is your header tank and this should be filled with coolant. The one to the right as you look at the engine (passenger side) is the over flow & level indicator. You should see a "Low" and "Full" level indicator on the plastic. This one is were you would normally "top up" the coolant level, it should be below full, but above low. I'd do some investigations to find out why there's no coolant in either. You may have a split radiator pipe or even a damaged radiator or it could be as simple as it was never filled up properly by the previous owner. Check the hoses going into your radiator at the top and bottom as these are the most likely to go.
I have no idea why the pipe going to the top up/overfliow is pulled off as this sounds like maybe someone doing a "Bodge" job. There should be a pipe on the top of the plastic cap but it goes no-where and it is only there for over flow purposes, the other pipe coming out of the bottom should join with the long metal pipe running across the top of your radiator and back to the header tank. Without having a look myself I cannot be certain of what the problem is but all I can say is either get someone who know's there stuff to have a look or try to hit these forums as much as possible to see if some others can help you to. Hope this has helped, Gareth
Old 05 July 2009, 06:38 PM
crook6693
Scooby Regular

Default coolant

Hi yep the top pipe into the yellow cap from the header tank overflow is there and on the yellow cap the other lower pipe is like a plastic water hose and reachs perfect to the bottom of this min max but if i blow down this pipe it blows bubbles in my wash tank.
Old 05 July 2009, 06:50 PM
crook6693
Scooby Regular

Default coolant

Hi yes there should be another pipe that pipe i was on about used to go to the front light washers any ideas where the pipe goes too.
Old 05 July 2009, 06:55 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

When you say wash tank, do you mean the Windcreen washer bottle? or are you talking about the header tank (one fixed on top of the engine/driver's side.)?
If you blow down the pipe that is attached at the bottom of the top up/level indicator plastic bottle (front passenger side) then it should allow you to blow bubbles in to the header tank as they are attached via the long metal pipe running across the top of the radiator.
Old 05 July 2009, 06:58 PM
crook6693
Scooby Regular

yes that was a washer bottle pipe the pipe you are on about someone has done away with it