Notices

fmic with standard dv

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2009, 08:31 PM
smi565
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fmic with standard dv

hi only joined a few days ago this site has been verry good for info used the fmic guide to fit my fmic can any 1 help can i use the standard dv with a fmic or do i need a after market 1 my car is a 1997 uk turbo and how do i get a pic of my car on here
Old 30 June 2009, 08:45 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Welcome. The first question to ask you might be why you are fitting a front mount intercooler in the first place.

The answer to your original question is yes, you could use the standard part if you wanted to, but there may be reasons why you wouldn't want to.

If you have already modified the car to the point where a front mount becomes preferable to the standard TMIC (or a larger top-mount), you might be beyond the capabilities of the standard MY97 plastic DV anyway, so you've got some more fundamental questions to consider first.
Old 30 June 2009, 09:03 PM
smi565
Scooby Regular

sounds stupid my brother fitted 1 and got his maped to it made a big difference so thaught i would do the same dont know a great deal about the scoob but i love them any advice on what to do to make it go faster but not blow it up
Old 30 June 2009, 09:35 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

First bit of advice would be to step back a bit and think about what you want to achieve with your car, and how best you can go about it, rather than simply copying your brother's setup without asking yourself why.

If your UK car is otherwise standard, fitting a front mount intercooler is, in the absence of other physical modifications, a waste of money that could be better spent on other things. The reason why your brother's car was improved is primarily down to the remap, not the intercooler change. The FMIC only really becomes a worthwhile step once you've swapped the standard TD04 turbo for something bigger. As things stand his car would have improved just as much, if not more, by fitting a better TMIC.

You could, for instance, fit a newage WRX or STi top mount IC for much less money and hassle, and spend the saving on other stuff. Or, if you're thinking about changing the turbo, think about doing that in concert with an intercooler change and then remap. All depends on what *you* want from your car.
Old 30 June 2009, 10:06 PM
smi565
Scooby Regular

thanks for advice am looking at a bigger turbo and remap what turbo u reckemend
Old 02 July 2009, 11:53 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Tell us your budget and ideal power figure and we'll be more able to make that sort of recommendation.

On a UK car without changing the engine internals, the usual way to go would be a VF35 or TD05 plus a newage STi top mount intercooler. You will need a remap, and probably some other other supporting mods (especially if your car has 380cc injectors) but this should get you into the 350 area, more than enough to give your clutch and gearbox a hard time.

Throwing money at a front mount intercooler at this point in time seems simply daft, given the limited ability of your current turbo. What you gain in theoretical cooling efficiency you'll more than lose in a longer induction tract.